Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Today is the last day the Rockies have to make a payout to Mike Hampton on his deferred payments from his 2001 contract.

The Mets get to keep paying Bobby Bonilla every July 1 until 2035.

mfpark said:
Today is the last day the Rockies have to make a payout to Mike Hampton on his deferred payments from his 2001 contract.
The Mets get to keep paying Bobby Bonilla every July 1 until 2035.
 There’s even a case to be made that the Mets’ deferral plan wasn’t a dumb strategy from the team’s perspective. For one thing, they used their Bonilla savings in 2000 to sign Mike Hampton, who had 4.6 WAR for the eventual National League champions. And when Hampton signed with the Colorado Rockies during the following offseason, the Mets used the resulting compensatory pick on David Wright in the 2001 draft, yielding the best position player in franchise history by far (according to WAR). Viewed this way, Bonilla has hardly pulled off the heist of the millennium.  
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bobby-bonilla-was-more-than-the-patron-saint-of-bad-contracts/

Im happy.  I'd rather spend money than Syndagaard, and it's kind of a have at the Marlins.  Realmuto is going to get them less in return as teams drop out.  

rhw said:
Wilson Ramos ?

I think it's a good move. From ESPN: "Ramos also has been lauded for his veteran presence in the clubhouse and his ability to handle pitching staffs".

So far this has been a pretty good off season for the Mets.  Not just who they added, but Swarzak and Bruce going, and I guess Reyes is gone, too. I will miss Flores, but I get that he didn't fit here anymore.  My only real worry is that McNeil will get buried.

FilmCarp said:
So far this has been a pretty good off season for the Mets.  Not just who they added, but Swarzak and Bruce going, and I guess Reyes is gone, too. I will miss Flores, but I get that he didn't fit here anymore.  My only real worry is that McNeil will get buried.

I'm wondering if the Mets can get anyone to take Frazier off their hands, and then turn 3B over to a McNeil.  They also have TJ Rivera coming back, and if he's healthy he could take some ABs against lefties.  

There is no reason why they cannot put McNeil at third and use Frazier as a spot starter at third and first and DH when they play in an AL stadium.  Yes, it sucks to have to eat $9M for one more year on Frazier, but you can't have a third baseman with a 0.300 OBP when you have a better option on your team.  Sometimes you need to deal with the fact that you got stuck with a bad contract for one more year and suck it up rather than hurt the team even more.

Ramos is a huge upgrade at catcher for a reasonable if slightly high price that they can easily afford, and he did not cost them a major league pitcher or top prospect.  I think this is a great move by the Mets.  Good hitter, very good catcher, team leader personality.  

As much as I would've liked Realmuto, the Ramos signing is good for the Mets. He's fairly dependable on defense and can actually hit. I guess the knock on him is his durability. Throw some D'arnaud into the mix and they can stretch Ramos for a whole season, I bet. 

Durability and d'Arnaud are strangers to each other.

Train_of_Thought said:
Permission to speak?

Permission granted. 

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
Permission to speak?
 Permission granted. 

Familia sucks. We will rue this signing.

I know, I know.  See y'all after my next reinstatement.

Train_of_Thought said:

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:
Permission to speak?
 Permission granted. 
Familia sucks. We will rue this signing.

I know, I know.  See y'all after my next reinstatement.

I can get by the Familia remark. Your use of "rue", well, that's another subject... 

But it's the holidays. 

Nothing but love. 

Fivethirtyeight.com crunched the numbers and ranked the top season performances by players across the major professional sports leagues.  Jacob deGrom's season ranked 4th among all professional U.S. players in 2018, and 15 among all players since 2000.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-players-and-biggest-upsets-of-2018-in-almost-any-sport/

That was last year.  I doubt he will be that good again, but close would be great.

I wonder if someone could run that same analysis on a composite of the pitchers he faced in his starts.  red face 

Is it even possible for the Mets to lay in the weeds to see how the interest develops on Bryce Harper and snatch him? The longer he sits out there...anything's possible, right? 

I’m working under the assumption that Harper remains out there because he’s still playing eager suitors against one another, not because he’s getting stale.

NotoriousEAM said:
Is it even possible for the Mets to lay in the weeds to see how the interest develops on Bryce Harper and snatch him? The longer he sits out there...anything's possible, right? 

I do not think he is worth the money he is seeking.  Even at 26 years young his numbers are trending downwards and he may well turn out to be one of those guys who hits 30 HRs with 80 RBIs and 170 Ks per year.  Certainly a decent player, but not worth the stratospheric numbers and length of contract he is reportedly seeking.  His numbers through age 25 compare with Andruw Jones and Justin Upton, in terms of contemporary players--although to be fair, they also compare with Griffey Jr and Frank Robinson.

Some things are not impossible, just nigh infinitely improbable. 

It would be a surprise to me for the Mets to spend Harper-level cash. It looks like the Dodgers might want to take a run at him since they've cleared out some salary with the Cincinnati trade. 

mrincredible said:
Some things are not impossible, just nigh infinitely improbable. 
It would be a surprise to me for the Mets to spend Harper-level cash. It looks like the Dodgers might want to take a run at him since they've cleared out some salary with the Cincinnati trade. 

I would not be happy if the Mets signed Harper.  They still have other needs that are more pressing than RF.  I'd rather they get another bullpen arm and a corner infielder.  I'd be ok going into the season with an OF of Conforto, Lagares and Nimmo.

FilmCarp said:
That was last year.  I doubt he will be that good again, but close would be great.

It would be virtually impossible for him or anyone else to match last year.  In terms of consistency, his season was historic.  If he's 75% of what he was in 2019 and the Mets score an even moderate number of runs for him, they'll win about 7-8 more of his starts than last year.  We'll take that.

I think Harper and Machado remain unsigned because their asking price and contract length are too high and they both come with red flags - the former, who gets injured; the latter, who may have some character issues. Having said that, would Harper be satisfied with the highest annual salary? Right now that honor goes to Kershaw at $33m/year. Would Harper "settle" for $34m/year for 7 years ($238m) or $34m/year for 8 years ($272m)? Crazy numbers but the money saved after Wright's salary clears the books (waiting for his sign off, presumably) and the money recouped from Cespedes' injury would help. Brodie Van Wagenen is really an agent with a GM title. He seems to be a risk taker. Unless you all think it's a foregone conclusion that the Phillies sign Machado and the Dodgers sign Harper? 

NotoriousEAM said:
Unless you all think it's a foregone conclusion that the Phillies sign Machado and the Dodgers sign Harper? 

I still think Machado goes to the Yanks.  And if Didi comes back healthy before the trade deadline, he's trade bait.  And Tulo is a utility guy/DH if he's healthy.  

Harper seems headed to LA after they cleared all that salary.

But who knows?  Maybe Philly will outbid NY and get Machado.  I think they'll need to pay a premium to keep him out of pinstripes.

NotoriousEAM said:

and regarding Harper, the Mets could get Marwin Gonzalez (who would be a perfect fit given the questions the Mets have about who's playing 1B and when Cespedes will be back in the OF) AND Zach Britton for about the same annual cost.  And neither of them would likely command more than 4 years.  How much better would they be with those two guys than with Harper replacing Nimmo?

and fwiw, since Harper's monster MVP season, he's not consistently been the same guy.  He and Gonzalez played in an almost equal number of games the past three seasons, and both of them received MVP votes in one season.  For those who care about such things, Marwin Gonzalez actually had slightly more WAR than Harper over the past three seasons -- 8.1 to 7.5 according to Baseball  Reference.

I think Harper has a back pocket offer from the Nationals.  He can always go back there for a big payoff if he doesn't get the Megabucks elsewhere.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.