Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

ml1 said:

it's hard to beat the '79 team for bad players, though.

1B - Willie Montanez
2B -- Doug Flynn
SS -- Frank Taveras
3B -- Richie Hebner

arguably, the all-worst Mets infield all played together on that team.

Boy, that is pretty bad. Two of the four tried to do anything to get out of NY and they succeeded. I think Kingman came back in 1980 to play first base and Elliot Maddox, who was suing the Mets and NYC for an injury he incurred playing while playing at Shea, moved from the OF to 3rd base.

btw, this prompted me to visit the Ultimate Mets Database to go down memory lane. I looked up the Mets all-time leaders in batting average (minimum 500 ABs). Daniel Murphy has the 9th highest lifetime BA in Mets history.

anyone know who is 1st? I thought I did, but the guy I guessed turned out to be 2nd all-time.

ml1 said:

btw, this prompted me to visit the Ultimate Mets Database to go down memory lane. I looked up the Mets all-time leaders in batting average (minimum 500 ABs). Daniel Murphy has the 9th highest lifetime BA in Mets history.

anyone know who is 1st? I thought I did, but the guy I guessed turned out to be 2nd all-time.

David Wright?

Wright is 4th.

hint: he holds the Mets single season record for hits

Hey, that's a fun site! I won't give it away, since I cheated, but thanks! It does show how good Wright, Hernandez, and Piazza were, with all of those at bats.

I will also say who it is not -- it is not John Olerud. he was my guess, but he's 2nd all-time

ml1 said:

Wright is 4th.

hint: he holds the Mets single season record for hits

Lance Johnson?

another odd fact -- Daniel Murphy has a higher lifetime slugging % for the Mets than Keith Hernandez did

Of course you have to look at total at bats to make a real comparison. Murphy is actually further up the list than I though he would be but still well behind Keith Hernandez. I was shaking my head at how many loser outfielders they have had over the years. Mackey Sasser, anyone?

YPPEE we finally win at home. Can't wait to see the excited and shocked look on my 7 year old when he hears the good news in the morning cool smile

If RA Dickey doesn't get the Cy Young it is a severe miscarriage of justice.

AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nymets said:

AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed to the nth degree.

munchies said:

If RA Dickey doesn't get the Cy Young it is a severe miscarriage of justice.

Haven't been to a single game all season long, but I'm thinking about playing hooky on Thursday afternoon to see R.A. go for No. 20!!

I am taking my kid tonight since school is closed tomorrow. I'll grab some tickets there and see what happens.

have fun toight we are on a nice streak !!

Nice seeing Ike Davis breaking 30 hr plateau. This from a guy at the Mendoza line at the end of June.

WE LOVE IKE DAVIS ! Funny how back at the beg. of season my 7 year old called him the strike out king everytime he came to bat. Now he wants to get his shirt :o)

Well, that was a depressing game. My son enjoyed the trip, but the baseball was not that good. Plus, 2 hot dogs, 2 drinks, and a pretzel were $27.50.

Frankie Francisco might need Tommy John surgery ... Just reported on the FAN. They are trying to confirm ...

how can we survive 2013 without Francisco!?

ml1 said:

how can we survive 2013 without Francisco!?

"We finished last with you, we can finish last without you."

Final acts of ineptitude ... Mets schedule says next Wednesday's last game is a 4:10 start, but SNY reports it a 7:10 PM start ... Can we do anything right?

Soul_29 said:

Final acts of ineptitude ... Mets schedule says next Wednesday's last game is a 4:10 start, but SNY reports it a 7:10 PM start ... Can we do anything right?

LMAO

Congrats to David Wright for passing Ed Kranepool on the Mets all-time hit list ...

according to Mets.com it's a 4:10 start ..............but that could be incorrect oh oh

nymets said:

according to Mets.com it's a 4:10 start ..............but that could be incorrect oh oh

Yeah, I checked and double-checked, but SNY did say 7:10. If it is a 7:10 start, I am hosting a Mets Funeral at the South Orange Elks next Wednesday night ...

October 3 is listed as 4:10 on both the Mets.com website and that part of the SNY website which provides the Mets TV schedule. Here's the link
http://web.sny.tv/teams/tvschedule.jsp?oid=36018

However, if you're looking at a different part of the SNY site, they very well might re-broadcast a 4:10 start at 7:10.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!