Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

marylago said:

Doris Roberts. 90 years old. Best known for Everybody Loves Raymond, but she acted in any number of shows.

eta: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Roberts

I'm sorry to hear this, though I'm also really surprised to learn she was 90. She's always seemed basically the same age to me, from National Lampoon to Everybody Loves Raymond! 

I also remember her as Mother Pig in the Fairie Tale Theatre version of The Three Little Pigs oh oh 

we were also surprised to read, just now, about Doris Roberts. Seemed ageless and eternal. With perfect timing. We'll miss her in this household. 

RIP British Comedy legend Victoria Wood. Songwriter, stand-up, sketch-writer and actress, most famous for her collaborations with comedy partner Julie Walters and on-the-nose comedy songs such as this one, which is not totally safe for work.

https://youtu.be/oAM2cLhBFzU

ridski said:

RIP British Comedy legend Victoria Wood. Songwriter, stand-up, sketch-writer and actress, most famous for her collaborations with comedy partner Julie Walters and on-the-nose comedy songs such as this one, which is not totally safe for work.

oAM2cLhBFzU

That was great.

so very sad; she was a favourite.  question 

Pearl Washington.  Sad.

ctrzaska said:

Pearl Washington.  Sad.

Patrick Ewing was the best Big East player, but no one electrified a game like Pearl Washington.

Magic called him the best ball-handler he's ever seen, but Derrick Coleman said it best: "I guess he's in heaven now. Pearl probably crossed over Jesus to get inside the gates."

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/r-i-p-prince-legendary-musician-has-died-at-the-age-of-57/

So sad. Unquestionably one of the most gifted of our lifetime. Glad I saw him perform. He was like no other.

annielou said:

So sad. Unquestionably one of the most gifted of our lifetime. Glad I saw him perform. He was like no other.

Un-f*cking believable.  I have seen super groups (Stones, Who, Led Zep and on and on) in their prime, at some historical places in time.  But the concert I will most remember was Prince, when he first went by "the artist formerly known" at Radio City Music Hall (1992?).  I literally stood the whole time with my mouth gaping open, not being able to comprehend how fantastic he was and saying over and over "don't forget what this looks/sounds like because you'll never see it again".  RIP, Prince, you brought us joy.

mumstheword said:
annielou said:

Un-f*cking believable.  I have seen super groups (Stones, Who, Led Zep and on and on) in their prime, at some historical places in time.  But the concert I will most remember was Prince, when he first went by "the artist formerly known" at Radio City Music Hall (1992?).  I literally stood the whole time with my mouth gaping open, not being able to comprehend how fantastic he was and saying over and over "don't forget what this looks/sounds like because you'll never see it again".  RIP, Prince, you brought us joy.

I saw him in '83 at Radio City and a couple of years earlier at the Ritz. He started out opening for Rick James. I became friends with Rick and the band after designing wings for the girls.

This sentiment I've read/heard over and over again in relation to Prince. And not just today. A friend if mine told me that back when he he lived in Minneapolis he saw a, then unknown, Prince perform in a club. He has no idea who this guy was, but he knew he was going to to be a star.

mumstheword said:
annielou said:

What a heavenly party happening with Bowie and Prince right now!

annielou said:

Ditto! I had the pleasure of sitting in his "purple circle" (front row) when he performed in Boston on the Purple Rain Tour. Fantastic singer, entertainer and musician. So glad I got to see him perform in NYC some years back.

Prince will be truly missed.  LOL 

Another star found dead in her home this morning. She may not unfortunately get much attention; WWE Star Chyna.

One of Philly's finest - Mr. Billy Paul

"Me & Mrs. Jones"

We got a thing going on.

He is basically know as a one hit wonder because the public and radio in 1972 was not ready, content-wise and stylistically for this the followup single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX6k5tRzDuU

flimbro said:

One of Philly's finest - Mr. Billy Paul

"Me & Mrs. Jones"

Came here to post this... sad news.  I can listen to that song all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2v98PGBZH4&sns=em

nan said:

Daniel Berrigan

Wow did realize he was in his 90s  I remember well

http://m.democracynow.org/web_exclusives/2877

annielou said:

Afeni Shakur

Afeni Shakur Davis, mother of late rap legend Tupac Shakur who was the
subject of one of his most iconic songs and who oversaw his posthumous
legacy, has died. She was 69 years old.

Marin County deputies responded to Shakur’s home in Sausalito, Calif.,
Monday night after she suffered a possible cardiac arrest, the sheriff’s
office said Tuesday morning. She was taken to a local hospital and died
just before 10:30 p.m.

Shakur, born Alice Faye Williams, changed her name when she moved to
New York City and joined the Black Panther movement. She and other party
members were arrested in 1969 and charged with conspiracy to bomb
multiple, busy city landmarks.

kthnry said:

James Garner

Didn't he die a long time ago?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.