2020 Democratic Presidential Debate #1

I thought Tulsi and Julian Casto did the best.  Tulsi did great on foreign policy especially when she schooled Ryan.  Casto hogged the mic. but spoke well.

Booker did well also, and sounded like he would not support Booker.

Warren did OK, but seemed to not get enough time.

DeBlasio had some good moments.

Beto, Delaney, Ryan -- out.

Taught in Newark taught in public schools and private. Not one size fits all.

Morganna said:

The goal of privitization is to get rid of public schools.  

nan said:

Not the goal of all charter schools. Both have good and bad. I'm just for keeping an open mind.

nan said:

Morganna said:

The goal of privatization is to make money.  They will take public money or private money as long as it's green.

Wild guess:  Castro gets the biggest bump from tonight's debate.

Puede que tengas razón. 

Morganna said:
 Not the goal of all charter schools. Both have good and bad. I'm just for keeping an open mind.

Yes, the goal of all charter schools.  They are free to pick the kids they want and the rest go back to the public schools and make the public schools look bad.  That's how it works.  Also, they want to break the unions.  

dave said:

I would agree.  I think he did well although I still don't like him.  

I also thought the first group of moderators did a great job. Rachel abd Chuck, not so much. They shouldn’t have switched.

nan said:
I thought Tulsi and Julian Casto did the best.  Tulsi did great on foreign policy especially when she schooled Ryan.  Casto hogged the mic. but spoke well.

Gabbard got barely any time and, when she did speak, she often seemed to be unable to address the topic.

Beto is toast.  I know people in Texas who love him but I honestly don't see it.

conandrob240 said:
I also thought the first group of moderators did a great job. Rachel abd Chuck, not so much. They shouldn’t have switched.

I thought Maddow was great (and I say this as someone who doesn't watch her show).  They need to rig the mics so that they only turn on when someone has been given a question and they turn off the minute their time is up.  I found the way De Blasio tried to bully his way into other people's question a big turn off.  I didn't care for Castro's approach either but I think it was more effective for him.

I only watched a few bits and pieces, but I have one point I need to make adamantly.  Half of those candidates should drop out immediately.  Ryan, Inslee, DeBlasio, O'Rourke, Delaney -- go away!  They're just wasting everyone's time and taking focus away from the candidates who actually have at least something of a chance. 

Klinker said:

nan said:
Gabbard got barely any time and, when she did speak, she often seemed to be unable to address the topic.

I don’t like her. I don’t think you get a pass when you’ve diminished the

and while we're at it, these candidates would be doing everyone a huge favor if they decided not to show up tonight:  Williamson, Hickenlooper, Swalwell, Bennet and Gillibrand.

and by Halloween they should cull the herd by another half and leave us with the five strongest contenders.   Biden, Warren, Sanders and two TBD wild cards.

ml1 said:
and while we're at it, these candidates would be doing everyone a huge favor if they decided not to show up tonight:  Williamson, Hickenlooper, Swalwell, Bennet and Gillibrand.
and by Halloween they should cull the herd by another half and leave us with the five strongest contenders.   Biden, Warren, Sanders and two TBD wild cards.

Agreed. It should be down to 5 or 6 by September. In my eyes, 4-5 are out from last night and I agree the 4 you listed above don’t even need to come out tonight.

dave said:

^This!

He was polling pretty low before last night, now, a definite boost. He took Beto to school during an exchange on immigration.

Warren, Castro and Booker stood out.

Tulsi was invisible until she challenged Ryan on foreign policy. Not enough to boost her in the polls tho. DeBlasio and his height stood out. He had a few good lines, again not enough to raise his poll numbers.

Inslee had the BEST line of the night, "the biggest threat to the security of the United States is Donald Trump."

Bingo!

Klinker said:

nan said:

Her first comment against regime-change wars in response to a question on women's pay was played on Morning Joe this morning and described as a "pivot" because she needs to familiarize herself with the electorate -- with the approval of the panel, including Joe. I was pleasantly surprised.

ml1 said:

I'll go out on a limb and predict Biden will be gone by then.

My takeaways, 

1. Castro and DeBlasio are the only ones who may have moved the needle -- Castro as a breakout candidate from the 1-2 percenters to maybe top 6 person in the Buttigieg support area. We'll see if he gets follow through. I'm guessing he doesn't.

DeBlaz "breaks out" from embarrassment/shouldn't-be-running land, to on equal footing with the other 1-2 percenters.

2. Warren got a pass really, no challenges, did fine but didn't kill it either. She really benefited from an easy draw. Moves the chains.

3. Beto was especially lame for a candidate who seemed to have real buzz a while back. in over his head.

4. Clock ticks for everyone else. Booker and Klobuchar need to get traction at some point if they're ever going to be the serious candidates some see them as. Delaney, Ryan, Gabbard, Inslee -- yawn.  Stage fillers.

conandrob240 said:
I don’t like her. I don’t think you get a pass when you’ve diminished the

I think you got cut off there.  What did she diminish?

paulsurovell said:

Her first comment against regime-change wars in response to a question on women's pay was played on Morning Joe this morning and described as a "pivot" because she needs to familiarize herself with the electorate -- with the approval of the panel, including Joe. I was pleasantly surprised.

Well, that is quite a spin.  To me it seemed like she was unprepared to address an issue that lies at the core of the progressive agenda. Why wouldn't a progressive candidate want to talk about equal pay for women?  At all?  She literally didn't say a single word about it.

Klinker said:

paulsurovell said:Her first comment against regime-change wars in response to a question on women's pay was played on Morning Joe this morning and described as a "pivot" because she needs to familiarize herself with the electorate -- with the approval of the panel, including Joe. I was pleasantly surprised.

Well, that is quite a spin.  To me it seemed like she was unprepared to address an issue that lies at the core of the progressive agenda. Why wouldn't a progressive candidate want to talk about equal pay for women?  At all?  She literally didn't say a single word about it.

Exactly.  What the electorate learned was that she can't answer a question about a basic progressive issue.

At least Tulsi avoided adding "And a big shout-out to my man Bashar!"

paulsurovell said:
 I'll go out on a limb and predict Biden will be gone by then.

in another thread I predicted he'd be gone after NH if he continues to campaign as he has.  I think he's got enough money and ego to make through the first primary.  But you may be right if he starts to drop in the polls.  At his age, why bother if it's looking like he can't do well in IA and NH.

Smedley said:
My takeaways, 
1. Castro and DeBlasio are the only ones who may have moved the needle -- Castro as a breakout candidate from the 1-2 percenters to maybe top 6 person in the Buttigieg support area. We'll see if he gets follow through. I'm guessing he doesn't.
DeBlaz "breaks out" from embarrassment/shouldn't-be-running land, to on equal footing with the other 1-2 percenters.
2. Warren got a pass really, no challenges, did fine but didn't kill it either. She really benefited from an easy draw. Moves the chains.
3. Beto was especially lame for a candidate who seemed to have real buzz a while back. in over his head.
4. Clock ticks for everyone else. Booker and Klobuchar need to get traction at some point if they're ever going to be the serious candidates some see them as. Delaney, Ryan, Gabbard, Inslee -- yawn.  Stage fillers.

That Ryan dude coulda been a contender.

Ryan is Biden-like in his demographic appeal and as such he stands to gain disproportionately when/if Biden crumbles. But if he doesn't do better than he does last night he won't be around then. 

more people probably think he's Paul Ryan than would say they support him for president.

there are also probably more than a few who think he's the guy who used to work with Terry Bradshaw.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!