What series should I watch next?

I'm re-watching River, based on my own recommendation and those of others.  There's something about Stellan Skarsgard that I really like.  I've never seen him in a starring role before (just supporting in Good Will Hunting and a minor role in The Hunt for Red October).

Versailles on Netflix is very good, I'm currently watching season 2.

Did someone already say "Godless," on Netflix? Some dead wood, and v. violent, but it's a good Western, and a person can't watch British detective shows all the time. For one thing, they never show 30 horses splashing across a river. It's very well written, too.

Meanwhile, back at the British detective show ranch, we are 3 episodes in to "Collateral" with Carey Mulligan, also on Netflix. Too many stereotypes, but good performances all around.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

watched 4 episodes of Seven Seconds tonight and liked it a lot. Unfortunately I had to go to bed just  as it was getting more intense. 

Watched most of the series in 2 days and saved the finale for day 3! Excellent!

Sneaky Pete is back for Season 2 on Prime. I really enjoyed the cast. Giovanni Ribisi, Margo Martindale. 

phenixrising said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

watched 4 episodes of Seven Seconds tonight and liked it a lot. Unfortunately I had to go to bed just  as it was getting more intense. 

Just started it. I love when a movie or show is set in NJ. 

ElizMcCord said:

phenixrising said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

We just watched the first one. Somewhat dark and intense. So we followed up with an episode of Schitt's Creek.

+1 for both Godless and Deadwood

I've missed too many pages in this thread. What do we think of American Gods? (Forced to sit through first Ep with a migraine, and it's just too confusing and choppy, dark, noisy)

LOST said:

ElizMcCord said:

phenixrising said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

We just watched the first one. Somewhat dark and intense. So we followed up with an episode of Schitt's Creek.

I can see why. I’m halfway through and I’m getting increasingly angry as I realize how plausible this script is compared to real life. 

Just finished binge watching Seven Seconds. Excellent. It’s set in NJ and it doesn’t disappoint. It’s Jersey through and through. 

The miniseries "The Terror," based on the novel of the same name, began last night on AMC. I liked it. It seems to be getting largely positive reviews.  It may not be for everybody but if this description from one review appeals to you - a cross between "Master and Commander" and "The Thing" - give it a looky.

The story imagines what happened to two real British explorer ships that disappeared looking for the Northwest Passage in the 1840s, adding a supernatural element to it.  The natural elements are dreadful enough.   Interestingly, one of the ships was found a couple of years go.  "The Terror," by the way, was the name of one of the ships, making for a nice easy double entendre.

6 Balloons on Netflix.  Harrowing and disturbing . 

But so good.  

Can anyone report back on "Wild Wild Country," the unfortunately titled doc about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh?

Did anyone watch the season opener of New Girl last night? It was mentioned in the NYT daily TV recommendations so I tuned in.  I was never really a fan of the show but this was really really bad. What were they thinking?  Everything about it was coarse and ugly. And profoundly unfunny.

I'm watching Killing Eve on BBC America but I don't think it's so great. Three episodes so far and I'm not sure Sandra Oh can carry it. 

Has anyone seen Wanted?  Watched 2 episodes and I'm liking it so far.  The characters are caricatures, but it's still fun.

Paranoid on Netflix.  English murder mystery [yes I'm addicted].

Harrow, an addictive NZ/Australian (Queensland) production with actors from the UK and US/Canada as well as NZ & Australia. There’s a hook in the plot that makes this crime lab series different from the usual run. You might have to search for it, it’s very new and often our first-run programs might not be compatible with your tvs. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7242816/. This synopsis doesn’t do it justice.

We’ve also just finished the last season of Bosch, season 3.  ‘He’ enjoyed it, I have to admit I found it a little tedious this time round. Found myself blanking out for large chunks of some episodes - which is pretty bad considering I love the books. 

Shakespeare and Hathaway, a silly Brit crime comedy that’s a lot of fun. We stumbled across it, thought it would kill an hour then we’d never bother again - and found its surprisingly, sneakily clever, punny and gentle but not lazy.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7526498/

No current US distribution for Harrow.

No sign of Shakespeare and Hathaway coming here either at this time.

Wild, Wild Country (Netflix) is a fascinating documentary look at the weird cult around Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh that developed and then abandoned a city in Oregon. Recommend!

ridski, I’m sure there are other legal ways esp for S & H. I have a feeling it won’t long before Harrow will be shopped around; it’s clearly made made for international distribution. 

S & H is wittier than Midsomer, and not always as formulaic. It’s possible someone’s stuck some eps on YouTube... 

here you go, try this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fbw9p

j_r said:
Wild, Wild Country (Netflix) is a fascinating documentary look at the weird cult around Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh that developed and then abandoned a city in Oregon. Recommend!

Watched it.  Could have used some serious editing but overall interesting and a bit horrifying.

Westworld - addicted. The Terror is also pretty good.

joanne said:
ridski, I’m sure there are other legal ways esp for S & H. I have a feeling it won’t long before Harrow will be shopped around; it’s clearly made made for international distribution. 
S & H is wittier than Midsomer, and not always as formulaic. It’s possible someone’s stuck some eps on YouTube... 
here you go, try this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fbw9p

Not saying I'm personally going to watch it: not my cup of tea. I',m just saying it might be a long while before we see it on these shores, especially when it's literally just aired there.

mem said:
Westworld - addicted. The Terror is also pretty good.

I'm enjoying The Terror. Very atmospheric.

I'm watching Westworld, too, even though that show often confuses the heck out of me.

But my current favorite show is Shameless. Every episode cracks me up.

Wife and I love Shameless, too (avail on Netflix)

We just discovered The Letdown - well-written Aussie comedy on the travails of young parenthood. Also on Netflix. Just seven 30-min episodes thus far, hope they make more. Check it out.

And, boy I wish they hadn't canceled Men of a Certain Age after two seasons [starring Ray Romano, Scott Bakula, and SO's very own Andrew Braugher!]. Absolutely loved it. 

agbarganza said:
Wife and I love Shameless, too (avail on Netflix)
We just discovered The Letdown - well-written Aussie comedy on the travails of young parenthood. Also on Netflix. Just seven 30-min episodes thus far, hope they make more. Check it out.
And, boy I wish they hadn't canceled Men of a Certain Age after two seasons [starring Ray Romano, Scott Bakula, and SO's very own Andrew Braugher!]. Absolutely loved it. 

Discovered The Letdown by accident. I loved it. I laughed the whole way through. 

agbarganza said:

Me, too. I LOVED! that show. I think you'd have to be a man of a certain age to enjoy it, though. Is it streaming somewhere?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.