The worst thing about the "new look" MOL ... (2006)

@HarleyQuinn, you've got your look back too! oh oh

Is there a way to change the title of a thread that you started?  Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Trans_Parent said:

Is there a way to change the title of a thread that you started?  Sorry if this has been addressed already.

Ooh - That definitely needs to go on 'the list'.

It just took me 15 mins to find where to sign in on my iPhone and then I had to enter my password several times before it worked!

The reformat stinks on the iPhone IMHO.

We're canyou save a draft?

Will I ever get my old day lily avatar workable? 

Believe me I am proud as punch that I managed to get an avatar at all!

...and .GIF's don't work, either! WTF???

-s.

On the old website, whenever I came back to a participated discussion, it brought me back to where I was. Every time I open MOL again and come to this thread, it brings me back to the beginning. Will that change, @jamie? That could be a pain if the thread happens to be one of those looooong ones! ;-)

Did we all time travel to 4/19/2005 or is it just me?

ridski said:

This is a resurrected thread from the last time Dave and Jamie overhauled the site (which was 2006). It's funny to see how many people are having the same issues now and how many haven't realized how old this thread is.

project37 said:

Did we all time travel to 4/19/2005 or is it just me?

ridski said:

ridski said:

This is a resurrected thread from the last time Dave and Jamie overhauled the site (which was 2006). It's funny to see how many people are having the same issues now and how many haven't realized how old this thread is.

project37 said:

Did we all time travel to 4/19/2015 or is it just me?

Dude. 4/20 isn't until tomorrow.

*emoticon*

I had a strange thing happen this morning. I've been tootling along quite happily for a couple of days, changed my avatar, changed my password... all was going well. Then, this morning, I got an email message welcoming me to WorldWebs, telling me that my user name was "reserved," and giving me a new password that was different from both the password Jamie gave me and from the password I chose for myself.

What does this mean? When I signed in, using the password I chose, I got into the forums, so I guess I'm not going to be cut off, but why does my user name now have another password attached to it, according to the email?

PeggyC said:

I had a strange thing happen this morning. I've been tootling along quite happily for a couple of days, changed my avatar, changed my password... all was going well. Then, this morning, I got an email message welcoming me to WorldWebs, telling me that my user name was "reserved," and giving me a new password that was different from both the password Jamie gave me and from the password I chose for myself.

What does this mean? When I signed in, using the password I chose, I got into the forums, so I guess I'm not going to be cut off, but why does my user name now have another password attached to it, according to the email?

Same here. This was the email that we should've gotten on the 15th. 

Er, OK. Safe to just ignore it?

I got the same emails, PeggyC. I had never gotten any when the forum changed over, so I just figured that these two were the notification emails that dave and jamie had mentioned last week. When they hadn't arrived, I sort of jumped over them and used some other links jamie had posted.

I'm just going to ignore those that arrived early this morning, too.

Am I going to need to log in every time I open MOL now? Will it ever stop jumping to the first page of a thread I've already read most of? Then I need to scroll all the way to the top to get the menu? Not to complain, but I'll stop reading or checking back if it is this much work on my iPhone.

I've stayed logged in for most of the weekend, on my iPad. I've used other tabs for other internet work.

I'm using the All Discussions Recently Update screen as my base; when I finish reading, I return there by clicking the Maplewood Online at top left of my screen. (Thank you, whoever mentioned). It floats down the same way my forward and back arrows do.

When I return to a thread it generally takes me to the last comment I read or touched with my stylus.

When I came in this morning, the All Discussions screen was up but I had to sign in. Using the sign-in tab brought me straight back to where I was.

So I think it's all being worked on. Just that there are so many devices and so many ways to move around.

PeggyC said:

Er, OK. Safe to just ignore it?

I've been safely ignoring mine for several days now.

NizhoniGrrrl said:

Am I going to need to log in every time I open MOL now? Will it ever stop jumping to the first page of a thread I've already read most of? Then I need to scroll all the way to the top to get the menu? Not to complain, but I'll stop reading or checking back if it is this much work on my iPhone.

This seems to be an iPhone thing. I see it too. It's pretty much unusable. I hope it's on the list.

I trust @dave and @jamie when they say that this site will ultimately have lots of advantages over the other one, but so far, for me, while I really like the improvements to the comment box (e.g. ease of being able to bold, italicize, etc. by keystroke commands (or buttons, if they're your thing) and being able to expand the size of the comment box), I really dislike the overall look of the site and find it very unpleasant to read.

So, I'm looking forward to the day when, I hope, this site will be as easy on the eyes as the old version:
  • I miss the bolder, much more legible fonts and color combinations.
  • I miss the page being laid out so that the posts took up most of the page width and there was little useless, excessive white space either horizontally or vertically.
  • I miss the posts wrapping all the way to the left under the avatars, rather than the avatars existing alone in a blank column of otherwise wasted white space with the full post text forced to their right.
  • I miss the clearer thread stats line that used blank space rather than bullets between sections:
              Started by whomever    # new    # comments    Most recent by whomeverelse   # days ago   Category
  • I miss we avatarless folks having no avatar instead of having the gray head.  I chose to be avatarless because I don't want an avatar; please don't force one on me.  (I have now manually removed mine, but that shouldn't be necessary.)

Also, on my iPhone:

• Some of the posts wrap properly to the screen, but others within the same thread don't, and run off the right side of the screen with no way to scroll laterally. 
  • As well as the constant logging me out.
  • As well as not allowing me to comment even when logged in.  Touch the comment box and nothing happens, no keyboard comes up.

And I, too, finally got the original email from the admins today.

And I miss the garage sale listings.  Are they here yet?

But, I have faith it will all get there in time.  Of course, the one possible advantage to this layout is that it's so visually unpleasant for me, that I end up spending 1/10th the time on MOL as I used to.  But time gained is info lost, so it's a toss-up.

so whats up with the advertisers?

banner ads will be returning soon.  Bear with us - we are well aware of most all of the issues noted.  I'll try to put together a page - with updates so we have everything centralized and issues aren't repeated in multiple threads.

By the way, let me just add my huge thanks to @jamie and @dave for all they do to keep MOL alive and well.
Bravi!

kthnry said:

NizhoniGrrrl said:

This seems to be an iPhone thing. I see it too. It's pretty much unusable. I hope it's on the list.

No, I'm automatically logged out on my laptop computer.  I keep wondering why I can't start a new thread and then see I'm logged out.  Not the worst thing in the world, but.....

@jamie: I just created a Thread last night, and I would like to change the Thread Title, but don't know how. Do we have that capacity now? Thanks!

We don't have this capability at the moment - it is on our list.  Making a list outlining current features and areas that we hope to improve is on our list as well.

meggie said:

@jamie: I just created a Thread last night, and I would like to change the Thread Title, but don't know how. Do we have that capacity now? Thanks!

and feel free to message me a thread name change if needed.

Bummer... And thanks!!! :-D

jamie said:

and feel free to message me a thread name change if needed.

I have to sign  in each time.  It doesn't remember me.  On the old forum, you could go to the last post that you had read or entered on a particular thread  With this new one, you go to the beginning of the thread each time. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!