The worst thing about the "new look" MOL ... (2006)

I am just not used to this:sad:

but at least you can use the smiley frowny

:clap:

you'll get used to it....

Worst thing was the last 24 hours when I could only lurk. Glad to be back. Now I'll try it out and find other worst things.
:cool:

J.B.

Um, how do you start a new thread?

J.B.

top left corner, says "START A NEW DISCUSSION"

and then make sure to choose where you want it placed, default is Welcome

Funny ... it's been keeping me logged on all afternoon and evening, through a couple of reboots. And, I was away for 3 hours or more to Back To School Night at MMS this evening. I came back in and it showed that I was still signed on.

This new stuff is haaarrrrd (to quote someone we love to bash.:wink:

Okay. My first post in this new wavy gravy format. I goofed the little icon guy which I could tell I goofed from the preview. So I fixed it, and then hit 'preview again' or whatever it says, but it wouldn't show me a new preview. I had to TRUST the computer and just click on submit. It wouldn't let me put a 'close parenthesis' after the icon guy. hmmmm, i'll have to post some more to get the hang of it.

Okay, one more time!!!! (I wish I could find the "bold" button!)

Why do I have to constantly reset my password....every time I sign in??? I cannot sign in unless I reset my password. Go through the whole deal.
As I said earlier, I love all the new features and the format. But it is waaaay too much trouble to be constantly having to get your mail, copy and paste to reset password. I love MOL, but why is this happening?

Can't post a picture.

J.B.

I can't do it in Safari DAVE!
but I'll try once again,

however over in Firefox, Jamie!

Posted By: sacFunny ... it's been keeping me logged on all afternoon and evening, through a couple of reboots. And, I was away for 3 hours or more to Back To School Night at MMS this evening. I came back in and it showed that I was still signed on.

You likely checked "remember me" when logging in the first time.

Okay, one more time!!!! (I wish I could find the "bold" button!

Try using *asterisks around what you want bolded* and then select Markdown as your format comments selection.

The other easy way to bold something is to put a tag at the beginning of what you want bolded, and a tag at the end of what you want bolded. And then select Html as your format comments selection.

so if you typed this:
bold text
you would get this:
bold text

One SERIOUS advantage to using HTML over Markdown, is that knowing HTML is ACTUALLY useful to know beyond just this (or other) bulletin boards.

more people use forums than build websites

Oots, Emmie

The special spot that Wooden You Know told me about is this.

When you go to MOL, look at the top right corner. You will see,

"Not Logged in (Log In)"

You have to click on the "(Log In)" spot to gain access to the login screen.

This way you do not have to re-establish you password each time, like I was doing.

Good luck,
George

Monster, I stand by my argument that HTML is a more real world useful skill/language (call it what you will) than Markdown. Markdown might be easier to use (I don't actually know). But HTML is MUCH MUCH MUCH more useful overall, in countless ways.

Next irritating issue I just found. YOU HAVE to type text in to the ENTER YOUR COMMENTS field or else your Attachment won't display. So when you post something to the Post a Random Image thread, you have to type something/anything just to see your image in the Preview Post display. Weird. Not good.

HTML makes you type more. Markdown is for busy people. Most people aren't interested in learning a skill. They want to post

## A headline

* or a
* list of
* items
* quickly

If I was going to learn something new, I would want to learn something that that could be used in as many ways and places as possible. Just ask Alton Brown, multitaskers rule.

what's his phone number?

He asked me not to post it for everyone to read. Would you want me to post yours? Why do you want Alton's phone number anyway? I'm getting suspicious.

hhhhmmmmm..... I'm watching you

Just as Alton thought

hhhhmmmmmm.......

So, I came back this morning and I'm still logged on. Is it something about cookie settings?

sac, yes, it's in your cookie. Unless your family is likely to hijack your session, don't worry about it. It's supposed to work that way. Enjoy it.

I was so confused - wondered why all the dates were in 2006 - doh!

ETA - It didn't help that it took me to the top of the thread rather than most recently viewed.

Yeah, I thought it was a very delayed April Fools Day prank!! 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!