The Trial Thread

lord_pabulum said:

Klinker:  Treason? 

Drummerboy: Exactly.  In theory the impeachment process is used when a president does something wrong not because he may win re-election.  By any standard going to war with Iraq based on invisible WMDs and no exit plan is more of 'crime' than anything Trump has done.

Yeah. Wrong. Bush was given authorization to start the war by Congress. How can you possibly impeach in that case?

lord_pabulum said:

Klinker:  Treason? 

Drummerboy: Exactly.  In theory the impeachment process is used when a president does something wrong not because he may win re-election.  By any standard going to war with Iraq based on invisible WMDs and no exit plan is more of 'crime' than anything Trump has done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efforts_to_impeach_George_W._Bush

Anyone find it suspicious that Cipolloni, was a direct witness to the “missing” facts that he is arguing do not exist?

And so no witnesses.  Have to wonder if Tulsi Gabbard is going to text her congratulations to Trump and McConnell to cement her Fox job.

Sen. Mazie Hirono of Hawaii is on TV and is totally pissed and worried about the things Trump will do now that he knows he can get away with anything. She seemed especially upset with Lamar Alexander who daid that Trump did what he is accused of but "so what".

jamie said:

Anyone find it suspicious that Cipolloni, was a direct witness to the “missing” facts that he is arguing do not exist?

Perhaps someone will file an Ethics Complaint.

Democrats working  to “evict” a president,  running for a second term, so close to the election, really was a hard sell. Obviously politically partisan, the House members failed to convince anyone that their motivation was pure. Speaker Pelosi was right when she thought the impeachment gambit was not in the Democrats best interests. But, under pressure to appease the newer fractions of the party, Pelosi did not follow her own strong instincts.

mtierney said:

Democrats working  to “evict” a president,  running for a second term, so close to the election, really was a hard sell. 

One would think that the fact that he was trying to CHEAT IN THAT VERY ELECTION would have influenced some folks.

Klinker said:

One would think that the fact that he was trying to CHEAT IN THAT VERY ELECTION would have influenced some folks.

You're going to shout yourself hoarse. Mtierney will go through whatever mental gymnastics it takes so she can look at herself in the mirror and not be horrified that the person she sees there voted for and vigorously defends a liar, cheat and grifter. She's a lost cause.

But keep shouting. Other people are listening even if they don't speak up.  

https://www.cracked.com/blog/what-helped-convince-me-to-stop-being-hardcore-republican/

Given that Trump won't be impeached and likely won't debate, should we be asking which candidate is a centrist, knows the media because he's in that business, and has $30 billion to crush Trump?

dave said:

Given that Trump won't be impeached and likely won't debate, should we be asking which candidate is a centrist, knows the media because he's in that business, and has $30 billion to crush Trump?

yeah - I've started to consider this possibility also.

I posted a similar article on another thread but the change in DNC rules might allow Bloomberg to make the debate stage.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/31/dnc-shifts-debate-requirements-opening-door-for-bloomberg-110017

dave said:

You are following the lawyer's rule; Do not ask a question unless you know the answer.

So is the answer to the Republican Party becoming the Trump Party for the Democratic Party to become the (Moderate) Republican Party? Mike Bloomberg was elected Mayor of New York as a Republican and endorsed George Bush over John Kerry. 

Or, is the answer to a Right-Wing "Populist" a New York Establishment Billionaire?  

Trump is a bully and those who are so convinced that almost no one can beat him are victims.

I will vote for whomever is the Democratic Candidate but I am a White Male in my 70s. I cannot predict what will inspire non-Whites or folks under 35 to vote but I can guess.   

dave said:

"Knows the media because he's in that business" is a really nonsensical criterion for picking a candidate.

How about picking a candidate who is smart enough to know which skills she needs to hire, and knows how to evaluate and hire the best people for the job?

Mike Bloomberg can still spend his billions on issue ads and other anti-Trump ads as independent expenditures.

And further discussion can be in the candidate thread, I suggest.

I would say using the media to one's advantage is what landed the present usurper in our highest office, so I'm going to hold onto it as a notch on the plus side for now.   Bloomberg might be in a good position after super Tuesday (he's trending up).

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bloombergs-super-tuesday-strategy-might-be-working/

Ken Starr says it's OUTRAGEOUS to even thing of removing a President by impeachment, instead of letting the voters decide in the next election.

Imagine the AUDACITY of the framers of the Constitution, for putting that in there.  Jerks.

As one commentator asked:

"Does Ken Starr know he is Ken Starr"?

Manchin is now bringing up the call to censure. 

dave said:

Another rich elitist.  Oh goody!

lord_pabulum said:

Another rich elitist.  Oh goody!

From another poster, I might take this as sarcasm.

jamie said:

Manchin is now bringing up the call to censure. 

apparently only 1 president in history was censured ( a jackson)  lets do it!  it's something!

Interview with Giuliani on NPR Morning Edition right now. I have successfully not barfed so far but I'm forcing myself to listen.

My impression is the major anti-Biden backlash "investigation" is only just starting. Based on information that only Rudy seems to have.

Steve Inskeep did a good job calling him out on some obvious BS and pressed him on some good questions (i.e. is he still investigating the Bidens on the direction of the President). I wouldn't be surprised if some federal agencies are going to be tasked with investigating Biden no matter how much or how little legit evidence exists. 

Good for Romney!   

What a speech! As usual I'm going back to my usual Frank Capra view of the world. I would love to see someone else take that cue. 

Romney also just tweeted out his support and prayers for Rush Limbaugh.

So, there's that.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1224678427472670721

It's over. Romney was the only Republican Senator to vote for conviction. All the Democrats voted to convict.

No surprise but still a bummer.

Does this mean if you live in a state with two Democrats in the Senate, Trump isn't your President anymore?

mrincredible said:

It's over. Romney was the only Republican Senator to vote for conviction. All the Democrats voted to convict.

No surprise but still a bummer.

Does this mean if you live in a state with two Democrats in the Senate, Trump isn't your President anymore?

He was never my President. Just further evidence that the US is no longer a viable country.

Trump will speak tomorrow, and then we can put all this behind us.  Right? 

Impeach him again

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.