The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

I think they put the "genius" level kind of low so we keep coming back.  Most days there are still about a dozen words left when you make it to genius.

Yes, coact and coxa were purely finger guesses.  Guess i should look them up....

mjc said:

Yes, coact and coxa were purely finger guesses.  Guess i should look them up....

coact is exactly what you think it means. Coxa is a hip bone.

ml1 said:

made it to genius again, but stopped 7 words short of QB.  Glad I didn't press on.  I would have likely got 4-5 more, but there were a couple of words I wasn't familiar with.  "Coact" and "coxa" are not in my vocabulary.  I guess they actually are now
grin

got "coact" but missed "coxa" and a few others like "toccata", "cami" and "camo"...altogether i was 6 short of QB yesterday.

Got ‘em all today! Woot.

jimmurphy said:

Got ‘em all today! Woot.

impressive!  question I missed it by three...gorp, pinioning, and pong

alha said:

impressive! 
question
I missed it by three...gorp, pinioning, and pong

Last word was pidgin, which I got right after a shuffle. 

ml1 said:

^this. 

We're very careful not to give up anything on the current day's puzzle. 

Besides, we can't know the words we DIDN'T get until they publish the answers the next day. 

My apologies. I may have used a funky application.

wendy said:

ml1 said:

^this. 

We're very careful not to give up anything on the current day's puzzle. 

Besides, we can't know the words we DIDN'T get until they publish the answers the next day. 

My apologies. I may have used a funky application.

sometimes if I leave it open on my phone until the next day, I can still play the previous day's game.  and yes, if you are still playing yesterday's puzzle, it's best to avoid this thread grin

I was discussing Tuesday's puzzle on FB and one person was flummoxed by "coati."  I said that was an easy one for me.  I've known for years it's short for "coatimundi", which is Mexican raccoon.

I first heard of it here:

Felix:  We stayed in and watched an educational show on TV.

Oscar: Oh, that's thrilling.

Felix:  No, it was very, very exciting.  It was all about the habits of the Central American raccoon.
No kidding. It's called the coatimundi, and it has an almost prehensile nose.

The coatimundi eats nothing but dead worms, and its diet is better than yours.

Got QB today! Good day to go for it - no particularly obscure words.

jimmurphy said:

you've convinced me to keep plugging away today.  I'm trying to get my first QB without hints.

jimmurphy said:

Congrats! question I'm still missing 3 words and am about to call it quits for today.

ETA: just found another word...now I'm down to 2.

ETA: down to the wire...just found another word so it's one more to go for QB. Either that, or I'll miss it by one, something I've done one too many a time.

My son also got QB and is egging me on. I'm 6-7 points away and not sure how many words, because we're strict that way and don't check those things. 

jimmurphy said:

I bow down to you, sir! I am not going to get there today...

KarenMarlowe said:

As I do on virtually every day, I think you’ll find some head-slappers.

I had one that I tried about 5 different spellings. So much luck involved in how the letters align themselves, right!?

jimmurphy said:

I had one that I tried about 5 different spellings. So much luck involved in how the letters align themselves, right!?

I am still one word short. Wracking my brain. 

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

I am still one word short. Wracking my brain. 

A few words short of QB today.  I gave up.

I’m gonna guess that Pitapat and Piccata were the most common missed.

jimmurphy said:

not for me...got those two but missed "cava"

I don’t recall a center “Z” before. 

jimmurphy said:

I missed one -- pitapat.  I had NO idea that was a word.  I've seen pitty-pat (which wouldn't count as a hyphenated word).  I'll have to file that one for future.

jimmurphy said:

I have to believe there aren't a lot of words in today's puzzle.  And I also have to believe there will be several words that I've never heard of.

For the second day in a row, I'm down to 1 missing word for QB...go figure.

alha said:

For the second day in a row, I'm down to 1 missing word for QB...go figure.

Way behind you. Hit a wall at 19/124. Good 4 or 5 words away, maybe more.

ml1 said:

I missed one -- pitapat.  I had NO idea that was a word.  I've seen pitty-pat (which wouldn't count as a hyphenated word).  I'll have to file that one for future.

I only got it because it was a word on past puzzles.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Yeah, I missed some easy ones. Oh well...

Got the QB today.  First one since I stopped using the hints.  Today is another good day to go for it. 

jimmurphy said:

I finally got to genius pretty quickly with that center "Z". I use hints too after the first go-around. I bow down to all of you. grin

ml1 said:

Got the QB today.  First one since I stopped using the hints.  Today is another good day to go for it. 

Good for you..and without the hints!  question

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.