The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

A Mets fan can never be a braggart. I sincerely apologize for casting that aspersion (good word depending on the hive I guess); nay for outright calling you that. grin

wendy said:

A Mets fan can never be a braggart. I sincerely apologize for casting that aspersion (good word depending on the hive I guess); nay for outright calling you that.
grin

No offense taken. I feel like posting that stuff encourages/challenges others and love when others do it.

This Mets fan will be at Sunday's game in Port St. Lucie! 

deGrom AND Scherzer pitching!  (How's that for a brag?!)

since I stopped using the hints I've made it to Genius every day, but no QB yet.  I should have plugged away a little bit more yesterday.  The words I didn't get are all in my vocabulary.

I forget which day it was (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday) but Panama was one of words. Why do they randomly have proper nouns every once in a while?  Either do or don't.

yahooyahoo said:

I forget which day it was (maybe Tuesday or Wednesday) but Panama was one of words. Why do they randomly have proper nouns every once in a while?  Either do or don't.

Its a hat.

jimmurphy said:

Its a hat.

Yes, but it's a hat named after Panama.

So they can't use jersey, like a soccer jersey, because there's a a place called Jersey?

Or bikini, because there an atoll by that name that the garment was named after?

tuxedo - Tuxedo Park, NY

paisley - Paisley, Scotland

But "Panama" is always capitalized in conjunction with "hat." Your examples are not.  

Hmm.

I am actually more annoyed when they don’t accept similar words. Like today - Napa is a place, but it is also a type of cabbage. And Nappa is a type of leather. Neither is acceptable.

jimmurphy said:

Hmm.

I am actually more annoyed when they don’t accept similar words. Like today - Napa is a place, but it is also a type of cabbage. And Nappa is a type of leather. Neither is acceptable.

I don't care so much if there are words like that not included.  If they accepted them, I'd still be just as many words away from QB grin

True. I think we can all agree that there’s a certain arbitrariness to it.

And for the record, I had become somewhat content to stop at Genius with a Pangram. I blame you, ml1, for reenergizing this thread and upping the ante.  cheese

To answer the question about getting to genius again: I find it easier when there are fewer words. I am at amazing today and have found 35 words so far, 179 pts. The scale tells me I need to get to 217 pts. Still a long way to go.

KarenMarlowe said:

To answer the question about getting to genius again: I find it easier when there are fewer words. I am at amazing today and have found 35 words so far, 179 pts. The scale tells me I need to get to 217 pts. Still a long way to go.

I don't think I have the persistence to go for 60 words today.  I still have about 20 pts to go for Genius, and that might be enough for today grin

ml1 said:

I don't think I have the persistence to go for 60 words today.  I still have about 20 pts to go for Genius, and that might be enough for today
grin

no way I'm getting to 60 today, but I did make it to 51/264 and I'm fine with that.

alha said:

no way I'm getting to 60 today, but I did make it to 51/264 and I'm fine with that.

Stopped at 45/231.

jimmurphy said:

alha said:

Stopped at 45/231.

43/218. I'm done!

43/225 was good enough for me today. I'm a genius!  grin

so I missed only one word yesterday -- "logroll".  I have to say I'm not disappointed because even though I'm familiar with the word, I think I could have spent a year with the puzzle and never found that one.

Today looks like another one with relatively few words.  But I have a feeling it contains two or three that are not in my vocabulary.  

ml1 said:

so I missed only one word yesterday -- "logroll".  I have to say I'm not disappointed because even though I'm familiar with the word, I think I could have spent a year with the puzzle and never found that one.

Today looks like another one with relatively few words.  But I have a feeling it contains two or three that are not in my vocabulary.  

I missed four words yesterday, including "logroll." I'm okay with that.

Logroll and wilco. Wilco is one of those words that I might never get.

zucca said:

same here 

alha said:

zucca said:

same here 

I got wilco because I thought of the band name.

ml1 said:

alha said:

zucca said:

same here 

I got wilco because I thought of the band name.

I got wilco because I tried it for the heck of it. I didn't recall that it was a real word.

You folks don't seem to wait until the next day. Good to know to ignore this thread until then. TIA.

wendy said:

You folks don't seem to wait until the next day. Good to know to ignore this thread until then. TIA.

We did wait; those were yesterday's words.

KarenMarlowe said:

We did wait; those were yesterday's words.

^this. 

We're very careful not to give up anything on the current day's puzzle. 

Besides, we can't know the words we DIDN'T get until they publish the answers the next day. 

made it to genius again, but stopped 7 words short of QB.  Glad I didn't press on.  I would have likely got 4-5 more, but there were a couple of words I wasn't familiar with.  "Coact" and "coxa" are not in my vocabulary.  I guess they actually are now grin

Genius too, but nine words shy. Missed a couple of easy ones, but I never remember "toccata."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.