The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Tough slog today.

Agree. I'm struggling.

Mercifully crossed the finish line at 25/64. Not even going to attempt QB. 

jimmurphy said:

Mercifully crossed the finish line at 25/64. Not even going to attempt QB. 

I have the same score. Calling it for the night.

I'm at 28/74 and am definitely done for the night.

I'm at 80 but my son got Queen Bee before 10am, so I'm still uselessly staring. Grrrr. The Spelling Bee gets all the attention here these days but I still love the crossword more.

I found a pangram and another high scoring word to finally reach genius.  I stopped after that.

How do you achieve Queen Bee?  Is that when you get every word?

yahooyahoo said:

How do you achieve Queen Bee?  Is that when you get every word?

yes

So did we get nonillion this time? I did! smile

jimmurphy said:

So did we get nonillion this time? I did!
smile

I didn't! LOL!

jimmurphy said:

smile

I got nonillion because of this thread.

jimmurphy said:

smile

Finally did! Struggling today, though. 

jimmurphy said:

smile

Ha yes!

PVW said:

jimmurphy said:

smile

Ha yes!

ha ha yes! ...I think that word has finally made it into my memory bank thanks to this thread.

25/93. Pulling my hair out to find a 4-letter word! 

*/‘*#@$+**!!

You just never know.  Got to Genius + pangram today faster than ever before, i think, with 19/83. (and by no means do i always get to Genius.)  And how does the scoring even work if jimmurphy has 25/93 and is still pulling his hair out?  ETA:  Aha? jimmurphy was waiting for QB?

At least yesterday i didn't miss onion again!

ETA:  Go jimmurphy!!

mjc said:

You just never know.  Got to Genius + pangram today faster than ever before, i think, with 19/83. (and by no means do i always get to Genius.)  And how does the scoring even work if jimmurphy has 25/93 and is still pulling his hair out?  ETA:  Aha? jimmurphy was waiting for QB?

At least yesterday i didn't miss onion again!

ETA:  Go jimmurphy!!

Took quite a while to get the pangram, which got me to Genius and was a bit of a stab based upon another word. One other stab and a pedestrian 4LW for QB. Fun stuff…

Congrats! I wish I could say that I'm joining you at achieving QB today; but once again, I'm going to miss it by one word. I'm stuck at 25/89 and am calling it a night. 

I feel like an idiot making up words hoping they’re actual words. And yet I do it. Often, sometimes. 

I did that today for one and it was a word. That’s the thing, seems there’s almost always one of those.

Edited to add, “bombe” was that word.

Got to genius just now, but absolutely let it use way too many of my brain cells. Then I went to Letter Boxed and solved in three words - first time ever I did it that quickly. Now I desperately need to go to sleep, but I feel like I’ll never be as smart as I am at this very moment.

Missed three words, one was "bombe." The others were "memo" and "lowmen." Oh, well. 

jimmurphy said:

I did that today for one and it was a word. That’s the thing, seems there’s almost always one of those.

Edited to add, “bombe” was that word.

"bombe" was that word for me too but in a different sense...in my case it was the word that kept me reaching QB yesterday.

alha said:

"bombe" was that word for me too but in a different sense...in my case it was the word that kept me reaching QB yesterday.

I lucked into bombe earlier.  Mown was my final word for QB.

I had "women" right out of the gate, and got "nobelmen" not too much later.  Took quite some time to put two and two together to get "noblewomen." A bit embarrassed by the underlying chauvinism there.

Next game (central letter 'H').

Is it an easy one to make us all feel better?  Got to Genius at 27 words / 130 points in 11 minutes!

marksierra said:

Is it an easy one to make us all feel better?  Got to Genius at 27 words / 130 points in 11 minutes!

Not so easy for me. Couldn't see the pangram until right now. Still got to genius, just took a little longer. 

marylago said:

marksierra said:

Not so easy for me. Couldn't see the pangram until right now. Still got to genius, just took a little longer. 

Today was a welcomed respite after yesterday's puzzle.

I was able to reach Genius quickly and not waste a lot of time during work (like yesterday).

Well. There will be no Genius level for me today. That’s for sure. 

Heynj said:

Well. There will be no Genius level for me today. That’s for sure. 

Quite hard. I’m knocking on the door but can’t get the pangram so far. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.