The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Hiragana? I would have never gotten that in a month of trying all letters. I may remember it now, but maybe not...

I got it using the Buddy, and google. It was my birthday yesterday and I was bound and determined to gift myself with a QB and I succeeded.
grin

Hiragana, but they still don't allow inline.

Lent, but not Lenten. And myelin? 

KarenMarlowe said:

Lent, but not Lenten. And myelin? 

I'm not surprised at "Lenten" since it's derived from the proper noun, Lent. As for myelin, that's a word I've heard of, as in "myelin sheath" but nonetheless missed it yesterday.

just made it to QB  question very doable today so I'm betting I won't be the only one.

alha said:

I'm not surprised at "Lenten" since it's derived from the proper noun, Lent. As for myelin, that's a word I've heard of, as in "myelin sheath" but nonetheless missed it yesterday.

Was very proud of myself for getting myelin! And yes, “myelin sheath” is ingrained.

I don’t care what the game says, ALLUVIAL is a valid word!!

I try to get to Genius every day before I look at any hints at all. And then the number of words left determines if I use the Buddy. Today I had 11 left after Genius, so I went to the buddy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to come up short by two anyway. There's at least one word that I'm pretty sure I have never in my life seen.

ml1 said:

I try to get to Genius every day before I look at any hints at all. And then the number of words left determines if I use the Buddy. Today I had 11 left after Genius, so I went to the buddy. I'm pretty sure I'm going to come up short by two anyway. There's at least one word that I'm pretty sure I have never in my life seen.

OK, I’m at QB-2. Gonna give up based on this. Will be interesting to see what the two are.

jimmurphy said:

OK, I’m at QB-2. Gonna give up based on this. Will be interesting to see what the two are.

i"m at Qb -4 andholding

alha said:

just made it to QB 
question
very doable today so I'm betting I won't be the only one.

I missed unceded. Hmph.

QB-1 yesterday. Missed “wanna.”

QB today!

jimmurphy said:

QB-1 yesterday. Missed “wanna.”

QB today!

congrats question  yesterday I also missed "wanna" but also missed some of the compound words

today, I'm way short of QB ...QB -6 to be precise ... and don't think I'll get any closer than that

eta: managed to find another two but not looking good at QB -4

Today is one of those days where I'm happy to have made it to Genius plus a handful. Not worth pursuing it any further at QB -6. I'm done for today.

alha said:

Today is one of those days where I'm happy to have made it to Genius plus a handful. Not worth pursuing it any further at QB -6. I'm done for today.

Same here. No words found since early this morning, despite going back more than a few times.

three words short so far today. Not going to the hints yet. 

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB!

happy for you but not likely to be joining you...currently QB -4 and just not seeing any more

alha said:

jimmurphy said:

Just got QB!

happy for you but not likely to be joining you...currently QB -4 and just not seeing any more

-6 here but got a few words just coming back to it right now. Not likely to QB either...

I'm -3 and still not going to the hints. 

QB -1 yesterday. Missed lovably. Got loveably. Go figure.

I got QB with hints. I'm almost certain I would have got "bellboy" and "eely" on my own (eely is a quintessential SB word). Gotta say that "loblolly" was probably not coming without hints.

ml1 said:

I got QB with hints. I'm almost certain I would have got "bellboy" and "eely" on my own (eely is a quintessential SB word). Gotta say that "loblolly" was probably not coming without hints.

I remember that the Bee uses loblolly, otherwise I would not have gotten it either. 

QB-1 today.  Not hopeful.

jimmurphy said:

QB-1 today.  Not hopeful.

QB -3 today...even less hopeful

Got QB with hints. Frankly I shoukd have been able to get it without. No weird words today. 

Missed cabala.

Got QB at 3:30 this morning for today. Very doable.

I'm one short without hints. Hoping I can conjure the magic of posting that here.

I'm one short too and just not seeing that last missing word

alha said:

I'm one short too and just not seeing that last missing word

8 letters? If so, I have a guess what it is.

jimmurphy said:

8 letters? If so, I have a guess what it is.

nope, it's 6 letters.

The magic hasn't worked yet. I'm still one 5-letter word short. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.