The New York Times Crossword Puzzle thread

Today: “gayly” but not “gaily.” Really? I have written them. They just claim the words I suggest are obscure or part of a particular trade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

marylago said:

Today: “gayly” but not “gaily.” Really? I have written them. They just claim the words I suggest are obscure or part of a particular trade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

yeah, that one threw me too.

The email response is just a canned response. I get it every time I send them an email.

Maybe try tweeting @thegridkid?

I missed another Queen Bee status this week because of.... aura. 

I managed to get to genius today without getting the pangram - first time.

But I'm not done yet.

Got my first ever Queen Bee! Funny trick of psychology that I really needed to know the number of points I was aiming for to do it (thanks again zucca).

drummerboy said:

But I'm not done yet.

The pangram was the first word I saw.

marylago said:

drummerboy said:

But I'm not done yet.

The pangram was the first word I saw.

I finally got it. Felt silly when I saw what it was.

PVW said:

Got my first ever Queen Bee! Funny trick of psychology that I really needed to know the number of points I was aiming for to do it (thanks again zucca).

Congrats! It is a huge help, right? My son and I got Queen Bee today, but only after joining our lists. We each had two words the other did not.

grrrr. came within 1 word of queen bee yesterday.

and today's bee has me flummoxed

drummerboy said:

I feel your pain...I came within 2 words of QB yesterday, and that's a personal best for me.

alha said:

drummerboy said:

I feel your pain...I came within 2 words of QB yesterday, and that's a personal best for me.

Me too!

Fun effect on the app version of today’s crossword!

Was wondering  where the last digit came in.

It comes in in another way too. But spoilers?

jimmurphy said:

zucca said:

Thought I was vague enough.

jimmurphy said:

Thought I was vague enough.

I think meaning that addressing the other way (at least if I’m right about what it is) would be difficult without spoilers.

Also, I am overboard careful/sensitive about spoilers because both my kids do the puzzle and they can’t stand to hear anything about it at all if I get to it first (which I used to do regularly when we shared the app). So it’s just my training. 

zucca said:

Also, I am overboard careful/sensitive about spoilers because both my kids do the puzzle and they can’t stand to hear anything about it at all if I get to it first (which I used to do regularly when we shared the app). So it’s just my training. 

Still don't understand what I could possibly have spoiled, but I'm sorry if I did.  Please PM me if you can explain.

zucca said:

It comes in in another way too. But spoilers?

jimmurphy said:

Yes, very clever. I love Thursday puzzles.  

No! You didn't. I just didn't want to in my response. Sorry to have implied differently. 

jimmurphy said:

Still don't understand what I could possibly have spoiled, but I'm sorry if I did.  Please PM me if you can explain.

zucca said:

No! You didn't. I just didn't want to in my response. Sorry to have implied differently. 

Ah! Would still love to know what the other way is - I don't see it. Please PM if you have some time.

Done. But also, is it okay to talk about previous days’ puzzles here without worrying about spoilers?

jimmurphy said:

Ah! Would still love to know what the other way is - I don't see it. Please PM if you have some time.

this week has been a disaster for me on the bee. normally I reach genius every time. I missed it like three times this week , and going for four.

bleh

drummerboy said:

this week has been a disaster for me on the bee. normally I reach genius every time. I missed it like three times this week , and going for four.

bleh

Me too. When I look at the words the next day, I slap my forehead. Duh!

I need 9 more points to reach genius...

drummerboy said:

sheesh. just made it.

wish i could say the same but didn't make it to Genius yesterday, which is unusual for me. Today, I easily made Genius with room to spare...I'm currently 59 points past Genius and am approaching QB territory.

yeah, today's was easier, though I don't think I'll get to QB. and I still haven't found the pangram.

drummerboy said:

yeah, today's was easier, though I don't think I'll get to QB. and I still haven't found the pangram.

Me neither. I got genius but still not the pangram. I can see it but I can't see it. lol!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!