The NEW Biden VP discussion thread

Did anyone read this? I caught the end of a discussion about it on Ari Melber's The Beat.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/kamala-harris-vice-president-sexism/

Morganna said:

Did anyone read this? I caught the end of a discussion about it on Ari Melber's The Beat.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/kamala-harris-vice-president-sexism/

I hadn't read that particular piece, but I've read others that basically say the same thing.

Kind of disgusting, and Chris Dodd lost a lot of points with me for this.

drummerboy said:

I hadn't read that particular piece, but I've read others that basically say the same thing.

Kind of disgusting, and Chris Dodd lost a lot of points with me for this.

If he is too insecure to pick her as VP, I think she could make a good AG. I'm stunned that they have the same opinion of Warren.

I don't get it. Everyone, seems to be prepared for the idea that he won't run for a second term so he should think of the party and pick someone who can run against the next Republican candidate.

If it was Jim Jordan, I'd pay big money to see Harris dismember him. 

Morganna said: 

If it was Jim Jordan, I'd pay big money to see Harris dismember him. 

If this were to take place, you'd be both disappointed with the result and out big money.  Harris sucked in the debates. She had no answers; just anecdotes, sound bites, and finger pointing.  

Red_Barchetta said:

If this were to take place, you'd be both disappointed with the result and out big money.  Harris sucked in the debates. She had no answers; just anecdotes, sound bites, and finger pointing.  

Really think so? I think we've had this exchange before when I posted her grilling Barr. I have been a Warren supporter, but I also like Harris. 

Who do you think Biden should pick and who do you think he will pick?

Looks like Bass is out.

Morganna said:

Really think so? I think we've had this exchange before when I posted her grilling Barr. I have been a Warren supporter, but I also like Harris. 

Who do you think Biden should pick and who do you think he will pick?

I think he will pick Harris.  If I were forced to make a pick on the spot it would be for Susan Rice first then Warren. 

drummerboy said:

Looks like Bass is out.

in the age of Trump, the fact that someone said something nice about a powerful organization in her district is disqualifying?  unless you tell me she IS a scientologist I really don't care that much about something she said ten years ago.

ml1 said:

in the age of Trump, the fact that someone said something nice about a powerful organization in her district is disqualifying?  unless you tell me she IS a scientologist I really don't care that much about something she said ten years ago.

It's unfortunate that she said that, but it was 10 years ago. Biden himself has said dumb things but, of course, the King of saying dumb things is Trump.

Can the Republicans who are so vocal on "religious freedom" really attack her for that?

You guys talk as if Dem voters have the same sensibilities that Trump voters do.

They don't.

drummerboy said:

Looks like Bass is out.

Bass is at a Scientology opening and she mainly says she agrees with their creed which is: That all people whatever race, color or creed are created with equal rights.

Moving forward - it would be interesting to ask presidential candidates if they think Scientology should still be considered a religion.

Seems like there is an advantage to being a newcomer on the political scene. They can't dig up as many mistakes. 

10 years ago? I couldn't survive a one year search.

drummerboy said:

You guys talk as if Dem voters have the same sensibilities that Trump voters do.

They don't.

So you think that one video clip is disqualifying? 

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

They don't.

Well, it depends on who it is. Bass is relatively unknown among the general public, so maybe one video can do it.

Harris and Duckworth have a long record that voters can consider to weigh missteps against. Bass, not so much. (I realize she has a record, but no one knows what it is. I certainly don't. Other than I think she's fairly progressive. Not even sure about that.)

The thing is, the Scientology thing (which I personally don't think is a big deal) will hurt her more among Dems that potential R or Ind voters.

In the end though, unless the pick is a total disaster, I don't think the VP pick matters very much. I don't think the vote total will differ much if it's Harris, Duckworth or Bass.

Now Rice, on the other hand, would be very interesting to watch. The R's will have a field day with Benghazi Redux but I don't know how that plays with the voters this many years out. I would imagine that Biden would have polled on the subject if he's serious about Rice.

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

They don't.

Well, it depends on who it is. Bass is relatively unknown among the general public, so maybe one video can do it.

Harris and Duckworth have a long record that voters can consider to weigh missteps against. Bass, not so much. (I realize she has a record, but no one knows what it is. I certainly don't. Other than I think she's fairly progressive. Not even sure about that.)

The thing is, the Scientology thing (which I personally don't think is a big deal) will hurt her more among Dems that potential R or Ind voters.

In the end though, unless the pick is a total disaster, I don't think the VP pick matters very much. I don't think the vote total will differ much if it's Harris, Duckworth or Bass.

Now Rice, on the other hand, would be very interesting to watch. The R's will have a field day with Benghazi Redux but I don't know how that plays with the voters this many years out. I would imagine that Biden would have polled on the subject if he's serious about Rice.

A Benghazi redux could perhaps work in a normal election year. But we are not in a normal election year. I really wonder if voters are going to care about some made up scandal while their hair is on fire.

basil said:

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

They don't.

A Benghazi redux could perhaps work in a normal election year. But we are not in a normal election year. I really wonder if voters are going to care about some made up scandal while their hair is on fire.

Yeah, I think Benghazi only resonates with the deep base. Just another piece of b.s. to fire them up.

Karen Bass handled herself very well on MTP this morning.

All this is guesswork but IMHO since the obvious choice all along has been Kamala Harris  the fact that Biden has not yet announced that she's the one makes me think that he really doesn't want her.

The fact that something hasn’t happened yet, before it has to happen, doesn’t tell us anything about what it will be when it does happen. 

STANV said:

Karen Bass handled herself very well on MTP this morning.

All this is guesswork but IMHO since the obvious choice all along has been Kamala Harris  the fact that Biden has not yet announced that she's the one makes me think that he really doesn't want her.

He said he would announce in early August. It's still early August. There is no "he has not yet announced" condition at this point. He's still on schedule.

It's all guess work. One person's guess is as good as another's, I guess.

I can’t remember there ever being so much anticipation in a vice presidential pick. At this point people just want November to get here ASAP. I’m telling you guys the tsunami will be blue water. It’s gonna be historic. And no I’m not being cocky, the excitement in the air is even greater than 2008. 

Jaytee said:

I can’t remember there ever being so much anticipation in a vice presidential pick. At this point people just want November to get here ASAP. I’m telling you guys the tsunami will be blue water. It’s gonna be historic. And no I’m not being cocky, the excitement in the air is even greater than 2008. 

I don't know. GOP is going to do everything they can to suppress the vote. And Russia and China will do everything they possibly can to keep Trump in office, they will realize they may never get another chance to harm our country so much without even firing a single shot. We are up against powerful forces here, let's not underestimate them.

nohero said:

The fact that something hasn’t happened yet, before it has to happen, doesn’t tell us anything about what it will be when it does happen. 

I kept reading this and imagining it coming out of the mouth of the Cheshire Cat! It is perfectly Lewis Carroll.

I want it on a t shirt.

I think it’ll be Harris. I’m not a big fan, but I think she’s the “safe” pick — known name, already vetted from being a candidate for president, pretty much in the middle ideologically in between progressive and moderate democrats.  Harris would fit right into Biden’s apparent “front porch” campaign strategy of not doing anything splashy one way or the other, just “steady as she goes” and keep the focus on the orange a$$ clown in chief. 

I think Harris has a 70% chance. Warren 10%, bass 5%, duckworth 5%, field 10%.

No way on Rice. Not because of Benghazi, but because her college-age son is a big Trump supporter, which is a story the media , and Team Trump, would *love*. No way does Team Biden want that distraction. 

Jaytee said:

I hope you are right! I'd love to feel that enthusiasm but I was saying almost the same thing on MOL last time and then the Florida results came in. 

People are worried about the damage he will do as we move closer to the election. I keep worrying he will do something magnanimous. A wildly generous middle class tax cut. Who in congress would not support it? A significant social security hike. That was on Warren's list. It doesn't seem like anyone cares how anything will be paid for so he could beat the Dems to the punch.

Would those measures give him enough support to win again?

Morganna said:

I hope you are right! I'd love to feel that enthusiasm but I was saying almost the same thing on MOL last time and then the Florida results came in. 

People are worried about the damage he will do as we move closer to the election. I keep worrying he will do something magnanimous. A wildly generous middle class tax cut. Who in congress would not support it? A significant social security hike. That was on Warren's list. It doesn't seem like anyone cares how anything will be paid for so he could beat the Dems to the punch.

Would those measures give him enough support to win again?

I really think this guy can give away the store, and he will still lose. People are fed up with his drama. People are fed up of him completely. He has embarrassed so many die hard republicans, he is a liability to the party now. It will take years for them to convince people that they are a conservative group. 
Of course we have the cult members lined up with their red solo cup, but they’re not the majority. They are the die hard segregationists, who would actually love to see a Berlin type wall down the middle of the country. 

Jaytee said:

I really think this guy can give away the store, and he will still lose. People are fed up with his drama. People are fed up of him completely. He has embarrassed so many die hard republicans, he is a liability to the party now. It will take years for them to convince people that they are a conservative group. 
Of course we have the cult members lined up with their red solo cup, but they’re not the majority. They are the die hard segregationists, who would actually love to see a Berlin type wall down the middle of the country. 

Well if you're right I'm certainly ready to celebrate.

And I hate to be greedy with my wishes but can we throw in some sort of indictment?

they're getting ready

Morganna said:

Jaytee said:

Well if you're right I'm certainly ready to celebrate.

And I hate to be greedy with my wishes but can we throw in some sort of indictment?

I'd like to put in a request for the Senate

Sounds like Rice or Harris.

I like Rice more - but she may have more baggage that the trump base has already been conditioned on.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.