Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

NoraCharles said:

I'm not Christian, I'm Jewish.  I do feel that I have to stick up for Msgr Oesterreicher though.  He was anti-Nazi and escaped Austria to go to Paris where he did anti-Nazi broadcasts and just escaped the Nazi invasion by the skin of this teeth.   

He did a lot of what I would consider good works at Seton Hall and also had a lot to do with Vatican II's revising things to take the onus off the Jews.  

Thank you — the Monsignor was a mensch.

mtierney said:

I have always known that evil exists — and that it is everywhere.

you even support some of it.

Another 182 bodies have been found in shallow unmarked graves at a Residential School in British Columbia that was run by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The bodies of these children are piling up and still the Catholic Church refuses to release their records relating to the boys and girls who were abducted, imprisoned, tortured and, in many cases, murdered, all in the name of bringing Christ to the "savages".

National Geographic has a chilling article on the Indian Residential Schools in their forthcoming edition. Of particular horror is the account of life at Saint Anne's, a residential school run by the Grey Sisters of the Cross.  The nuns at Saint Anne's built an electric chair that they used to torture the female students who were imprisoned there. Students at St Anne's were raped and beaten as well.  The grounds have not yet been searched for the sort of unmarked mass burials that have been found at other residential schools.

National Geographic: Residential school survivors reflect on a brutal legacy

"How a book about evangelicals, Trump and militant masculinity became a surprise bestseller"

"When historian Kristin Du Mez’s latest book, “Jesus and John Wayne,” came out in the summer of 2020, it received little attention from mainstream gatekeepers and reviewers.  But the book, which explores evangelical fondness for former president Donald Trump and strong masculine figures, has since sold more than 100,000 copies through word of mouth, podcasts and book clubs. When it came out in paperback last month, the book shot up to No. 4 among nonfiction paperbacks on the New York Times bestseller list.  As journalists and academics tried to explain how evangelicals could bring themselves to vote for Trump, Du Mez argued that evangelical support was not a shocking aberration from their views but a culmination of evangelicals’ long-standing embrace of militant masculinity, presenting the man as protector and warrior.

“In 2016, many observers were stunned at evangelicals’ apparent betrayal of their own values,” Du Mez wrote. “In reality, evangelicals did not cast their vote despite their beliefs, but because of them.”  The book also described a pattern of abuse and its coverup by several mainstream evangelical leaders, many of whom are still in leadership. Du Mez contended that evangelical leaders’ emphasis on militant masculinity created a culture where abuse was able to flourish and often kept secret, an argument that has both caught fire and created controversy.  Du Mez, who teaches at Calvin University in Grand Rapids, Mich., wrote that mainstream evangelical leaders such as John Piper, James Dobson and John Eldredge, preached a “mutually reinforcing vision of Christian masculinity — of patriarchy and submission, sex and power.”  “The militant Christian masculinity they practiced and preached did indelibly shape both family and nation,” Du Mez wrote." ..........[more]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/07/16/jesus-and-john-wayne-evangelicals-surprise-bestseller/?s=03#click=https://t.co/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/16/world/europe/pope-francis-old-latin-mass.html

I was raised in the Latin Mass era and and still miss that solemnity. However, I was pleased by many of the changes — although dismayed by some. 

Jasmo said:

"How a book about evangelicals, Trump and militant masculinity became a surprise bestseller"

"When historian Kristin Du Mez’s latest book, “Jesus and John Wayne,” came out in the summer of 2020, it received little attention from mainstream gatekeepers and reviewers.  But the book, which explores evangelical fondness for former president Donald Trump and strong masculine figures, has since sold more than 100,000 copies through word of mouth, podcasts and book clubs. When it came out in paperback last month, the book shot up to No. 4 among nonfiction paperbacks on the New York Times bestseller list.  As journalists and academics tried to explain how evangelicals could bring themselves to vote for Trump, Du Mez argued that evangelical support was not a shocking aberration from their views but a culmination of evangelicals’ long-standing embrace of militant masculinity, presenting the man as protector and warrior.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/07/16/jesus-and-john-wayne-evangelicals-surprise-bestseller/?s=03#click=https://t.co/

My favorite actor of all time is John Wayne. Thank God for Turner Classic Movies.  grin

I will put that book on my reading list, Jasmo, thanks for the reference.

Another 160 bodies found in unmarked shallow graves this last week at the former site of the Kuper Island Residential School, also known as the Canadian Alcatraz.  This institution, where children as young as three were stolen from their parents and held captive until they either died or reached adulthood was run by the Catholic Church through the Missionary Oblates of Mary the Immaculate.

In its first year, nearly half of the children imprisoned by the Church at Kuper Island either died or were murdered.  To this day, the Church refuses to release its records on the children imprisoned at this and hundreds of other similar facilities throughout Canada.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/27/opinion/pope-francis-catholic-church.html

The world spins; the Church evolves and will survive. I was initiated (baptized) into Catholicism during the Pope Pius X1 reign and have faith.

mtierney said:

The world spins; the Church evolves and will survive. I was initiated (baptized) into Catholicism during the Pope Pius X1 reign and have faith.

Like most of the sludge the Bedbug excretes, this article was more or less unreadable (not to mention chock full of ... factual errors).

That said, the comments section is really excellent. I spent about an hour picking my way through it yesterday afternoon.  

Klinker said:

mtierney said:

Like most of the sludge the Bedbug excretes, this article was more or less unreadable (not to mention chock full of ... factual errors).

That said, the comments section is really excellent. I spent about an hour picking my way through it yesterday afternoon.  

You're confusing Ross Douthat (the author of that column) with Bret Stephens.

I read that column this morning, and it's awfulness reminded me how much I miss the days when Peter Steinfels wrote for the New York Times. That's when they had a Catholic columnist/reporter who wrote on Catholic issues who actually knew something about the Church.

nohero said:

You're confusing Ross Douthat (the author of that column) with Bret Stephens.

I read that column this morning, and it's awfulness reminded me how much I miss the days when Peter Steinfels wrote for the New York Times. That's when they had a Catholic columnist/reporter who wrote on Catholic issues who actually knew something about the Church.

Ooops!  My yuck sensors have been overloaded.  There is a thread of incompetent idiocy that runs through the work of all of the Times conservative shills.  Plus, as I said, I stepped over  most of the the objectionable material and headed for the comments where the good stuff was.

It is true though that Ross Douthat's Catholicism doesn't seem to share much with the Catholicism of  Pope Francis or even of the practicing Catholics in my family. Sometimes I think that, instead of reading the Catechism, Douthat read the Handmaid's Tale as some sort of instructional manual.

You can't squish the truth, no matter how you try.

The jig is up! Stalking apparently is your game. Whatever  makes you able to get out of bed every day…who am I to judge? 

I neither posted anything to you nor about you. 

That said, the fact that you view an article that is critical of sexual predators as an attack on your person is….. telling. 

mtierney said:

Words from Pope Francis…

https://www.politico.eu/article/pope-world-vaccine-coronavirus/?aid=app_feed

And Raymond Arroyo from EWTN once again decides to be an assclown.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Words from Pope Francis…

https://www.politico.eu/article/pope-world-vaccine-coronavirus/?aid=app_feed

And Raymond Arroyo from EWTN once again decides to be an assclown.

yikes. that twitter thread is a MAGA cesspool.

Here's someone who is not a big fan of Pope Francis (but does like the writings of the late Bishop Sheen) - 

Before I leave, I just have to stop by and thank Pope Francis for his continued efforts to restrain the creeping tentacles of Sheenism. 

Klinker said:

Before I leave, I just have to stop by and thank Pope Francis for his continued efforts to restrain the creeping tentacles of Sheenism. 

Self-portrait? 

“Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits.” 

Fulton J. Sheen19 likesLike“If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which theworld rejects because it claims it is infallible, as Pilate rejected Christ because he called Himself the Truth. Look for the Church which amid the confusion of conflicting opinions, its members love as they love Christ, and respect its voice as the very voice of its Founder, and the suspicion will grow, that if the Church is unpopular with the spirit of the world, then it is unworldly, and if it is unworldly, it is other-worldly. Since it is other-worldly, it is infinitely loved and infinitely hated as was Christ Himself. ... the Catholic Church is the only Church existing today which goes back to the time of Christ. History is so very clear on this point, it is curious how many miss its obviousness...”

Ah, the rationale of a cult.  They hate us so we must be on the right track.  Or perhaps, Mtierney, the problem is with the corrupt institution that is the Church and not with the teachings of Jesus.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.