Sure, why not? Let's discuss what makes something funny

Is “The Two Popes” Catholic?

DaveSchmidt said:

AFAIK, last time that the RC chuch had two popes was in the late 14th and early 15th century.  See excerpt from Wikipedia below.  I believe what the RC church has currently is the current pope and a retired pope.  Much like the US has one current president and four retired presidents (namely, Carter, WJC, GWB, and BHO).  When current and retired presidents get together, I don't believe that I have heard such a gathering described as two presidents, nor three presidents, etc.  "Two Popes" appears to be a strange title for a movie (as the situation seems better described as pope and retired pope).

=================================================

Excerpt from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy):

The Avignon Papacy, also known as the Babylonian Captivity, was the period from 1309 to 1376 during which seven successive popes resided in Avignon (then in the Kingdom of Arles, part of the Holy Roman Empire, now in France) rather than in Rome.[1] The situation arose from the conflict between the papacy and the French crown, culminating in the death of Pope Boniface VIII after his arrest and maltreatment by Philip IV of France. Following the further death of Pope Benedict XI, Philip forced a deadlocked conclave to elect the French Clement V as pope in 1305. Clement refused to move to Rome, and in 1309 he moved his court to the papal enclave at Avignon, where it remained for the next 67 years. This absence from Rome is sometimes referred to as the "Babylonian captivity of the Papacy".[2][3]

A total of seven popes reigned at Avignon, all French,[4][5] and all under the influence of the French Crown. In 1376, Gregory XI abandoned Avignon and moved his court to Rome (arriving on January 17, 1377). But after Gregory's death in 1378, deteriorating relations between his successor Urban VI and a faction of cardinals gave rise to the Western Schism. This started a second line of Avignon popes, subsequently regarded as illegitimate. The last Avignon antipope, Benedict XIII, lost most of his support in 1398, including that of France; after five years besieged by the French, he fled to Perpignan in 1403. The schism ended in 1417 at the Council of Constance, after two popes had reigned in opposition to the papacy in Rome.[6]

RealityForAll said:

AFAIK, last time that the RC chuch had two popes was in the late 14th and early 15th century.  See excerpt from Wikipedia below.  I believe what the RC church has currently is the current pope and a retired pope.  Much like the US has one current president and four retired presidents (namely, Carter, WJC, GWB, and BHO).  When current and retired presidents get together, I don't believe that I have heard such a gathering described as two presidents, nor three presidents, etc.  "Two Popes" appears to be a strange title for a movie (as the situation seems better described as pope and retired pope).

=================================================

Excerpt from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy):

The Avignon Papacy, also known as the Babylonian Captivity, was the period from 1309 to 1376 during which seven successive popes resided in Avignon (then in the Kingdom of Arles, part of the Holy Roman Empire, now in France) rather than in Rome.[1] The situation arose from the conflict between the papacy and the French crown, culminating in the death of Pope Boniface VIII after his arrest and maltreatment by Philip IV of France. Following the further death of Pope Benedict XI, Philip forced a deadlocked conclave to elect the French Clement V as pope in 1305. Clement refused to move to Rome, and in 1309 he moved his court to the papal enclave at Avignon, where it remained for the next 67 years. This absence from Rome is sometimes referred to as the "Babylonian captivity of the Papacy".[2][3]

A total of seven popes reigned at Avignon, all French,[4][5] and all under the influence of the French Crown. In 1376, Gregory XI abandoned Avignon and moved his court to Rome (arriving on January 17, 1377). But after Gregory's death in 1378, deteriorating relations between his successor Urban VI and a faction of cardinals gave rise to the Western Schism. This started a second line of Avignon popes, subsequently regarded as illegitimate. The last Avignon antipope, Benedict XIII, lost most of his support in 1398, including that of France; after five years besieged by the French, he fled to Perpignan in 1403. The schism ended in 1417 at the Council of Constance, after two popes had reigned in opposition to the papacy in Rome.[6]

oh oh

RealityForAll said:

"Two Popes" appears to be a strange title for a movie (as the situation seems better described as pope and retired pope).

It's about a Pope and a future Pope, but please continue. 

This thread definitely turned in an unfunny direction. 

RealityForAll said:

Gervais' joke about Weinstein and Hollywood was also pretty funny.  See:  https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/golden-globes-ricky-gervais-harvey-weinstein-joke-metoo-2020-epstein-prince-andrew-a9271631.html

Joy Behar Praises Ricky Gervais’ Golden Globes Monologue: “He Was Funny”

See:  https://decider.com/2020/01/06/joy-behar-ricky-gervais-golden-globes-monologue-funny/

BBC also gave a positive reaction to RG's monologue.

Also see:  https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50983253

DaveSchmidt said:

Of course.  Double the pleasure.  Double the fun.

This is the title of a session at the conference I'm attending this week. 

ml1 said:

This is the title of a session at the conference I'm attending this week. 

May I ask what the name of the conference is?

And will you attend the session and provide us a full report?

drummerboy said:

May I ask what the name of the conference is?

And will you attend the session and provide us a full report?

Media Insights & Engagement 

I will be attending that session, and I'll give you my summary. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.