Sure, why not? Let's discuss what makes something funny

ridski said:

Hmm...

Somewhat similar, but unfortunately real life, the President yesterday at a press event:

We have a situation where we’re looking very strongly at sinks and showers and other elements of bathrooms where you turn the faucet on — in areas where there’s tremendous amounts of water, where the water rushes out to sea because you could never handle it — and you don’t get any water. You turn on the faucet; you don’t get any water. They take a shower and water comes dripping out. It’s dripping out — very quietly dripping out. People are flushing toilets 10 times, 15 times, as opposed to once. They end up using more water. So, EPA is looking at that very strongly, at my suggestion.

You go into a new building or a new house or a new home, and they have standards, “Oh, you don’t get water.” You can’t wash your hands, practically, there’s so little water comes out of the faucet. And the end result is you leave the faucet on and it takes you much longer to wash your hands. You end up using the same amount of water.

So we’re looking at, very seriously, at opening up the standard. And there may be some areas where we’ll go the other route — desert areas. But for the most part, you have many states where they have so much water that it comes down — it’s called rain — (laughter) — that they don’t know — they don’t know what to do with it.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-roundtable-small-business-red-tape-reduction-accomplishments/ 

Rand Paul had a similar toilet fixation, as I recall.

He is a businessman in the building trade, not a politician.

mtierney said:

Any real business man in the building trade knows that just because you have a lot of rain, that does NOT mean you have more than enough potable drinking water.  

Unlike Trump: "But for the most part, you have many states where they have so much water that it comes down — it’s called rain — (laughter) — that they don’t know — they don’t know what to do with it."

mtierney said:

Two singing cats are not funny?

the impeachment post wasn't a joke. Singing cats can be funny but I have to admit the mouths in that photo creeped me out a little. I like cats though  

mtierney said:

You're getting the hang of this humor thing. This is VERY funny. grin

ridski said:

mtierney said:

it's hard to beat the classics

mtierney said:

do you even have a clue what and when the last thing he built was? He is not in the "building trade" and has not been for decades.

mtierney said:

He's the President of the United States of America, not a businessman. He's not supposed to be a businessman. He's not supposed to be in any trade at all, other than Presidenting. He's surrounded by supposedly knowledgeable people and is supposed to be able to read things in order to learn stuff. 

And to bring this full circle.

mtierney said:

But what has been missing is exactly “critical thinking capability”.

I know it’s a humor thread and all, but still: Don’t kid yourself. 

mtierney said:

ml1 said:

so yes, it's funny that you and anyone else who fell for that story was punked 
oh oh

Joke is, the law is still on the books 

Late on this, but relevant link: https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/11/18/20963411/weird-old-laws-historical-obsolete-laws

PVW said:

Late on this, but relevant link: https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/11/18/20963411/weird-old-laws-historical-obsolete-laws

Wasau's ordinance outlaws throwing of any projectile at another person, including rocks and other hard objects.  They aren't likely to bother to amend the law to except snowballs because the NY Post makes fun of them.  The rest of the ordinance makes perfect sense to consider throwing hard objects at someone an assault.

ridski said:

He's the President of the United States of America, not a businessman. He's not supposed to be a businessman. He's not supposed to be in any trade at all, other than Presidenting. He's surrounded by supposedly knowledgeable people and is supposed to be able to read things in order to learn stuff. 

DJT won in 2016 because he was a businessman who earned tons of money in real estate development.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

do you even have a clue what and when the last thing he built was? He is not in the "building trade" and has not been for decades.

Do people get career amnesia when they switch to a different career? Especially after decades of  reading his bank statements in the city where he was surrounded by examples of his dealings. Usually, experience in the business world provides a background for other endeavors.

mtierney said:

ridski said:

DJT won in 2016 because he was a businessman who earned tons of money in real estate development.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

Do people get career amnesia when they switch to a different career? Especially after decades of  reading his bank statements in the city where he was surrounded by examples of his dealings. Usually, experience in the business world provides a background for other endeavors.

you didn't answer the question. You know nothing about his building career. And most assuredly a lot less about his multiple failures as a businessman.

Also, name me one thing that Trump has ever said that indicates he knows what he's talking about.

Currenty he thinks people have to flush toilets 10-15 times for ... well, we don't really know why. We do know that he's aware that rain falls from the sky though, so that's a plus.

If Trump were a business man rather than president, acting the way he does now, he wouldn't be impeached. He'd be arrested.

mtierney said:

he was a failed businessman and a con artist.  Then he played the character of a successful businessman on a TV show.  Unfortunately a lot of people can't separate fact from fiction and believed Trump was the guy on The Apprentice.

Which I guess is pretty funny, but more in the pathetic sense than in the LOL sense.

Failed businessman? 

Wonder what he would have become if he had been successful?

Mayor of NYC?

mtierney said:

Failed businessman? 

“But an investigation by The New York Times has revealed that Donald Trump received the equivalent today of at least $413 million from his father’s real estate empire. What’s more, much of this money came to Mr. Trump through dubious tax schemes he participated in during the 1990s, including instances of outright fraud, The Times found.”

Have at it, critical reader:

11 Takeaways From The Times’s Investigation Into Trump’s Wealth

mtierney said:

Mayor of NYC?

Apologies for stepping on your joke. May the yuks resume.

mtierney said:

Failed businessman? 

Wonder what he would have become if he had been successful?

Mayor of NYC?

Failed businessman, successful criminal.  As daveschmidt pointed out above, the Trump family business has been and continues to be a criminal enterprise, now in its fourth generation. 

this is very relevant to where this discussion started.  At least one media scholar agrees with me.  Donald Trump simply is not funny.  And her explanation is almost identical to the argument I was making.

"Irony and Outrage," part 2: Why Colbert got serious — and why Donald Trump isn't funny

A couple of things. One, he often describes things as having been jokes that are usually exaggerated statements. They are strongly valenced statements, but he meant exactly what he said. The valence of what he actually intended is very consistent with the valence of his literal statements.

and this from the author Dannagal Goldthwaite Young:

I have a whole section in the book about what happened when Trump was at the Friars Club roast for Comedy Central [in 2011] and the comedians got to write joke responses for him that he could then issue at their expense. He got a draft of those jokes, and systematically went through with a black Sharpie and erased all the punchlines and changed them into non-joke structures. Which, first of all, is fascinating because he thinks he can rewrite jokes written by comics. That to me is a sense of hubris that is wild.

ml1 said:

Which, first of all, is fascinating because he thinks he can rewrite jokes written by comics. That to me is a sense of hubris that is wild.

Which, second of all, is funny because there’s also the hubris of comics who think their jokes can’t be rewritten.

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

Which, first of all, is fascinating because he thinks he can rewrite jokes written by comics. That to me is a sense of hubris that is wild.

Which, second of all, is funny because there’s also the hubris of comics who think their jokes can’t be rewritten.

Where is there a comic claiming their jokes can't be rewritten?

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Where is there a comic claiming their jokes can't be rewritten?

Count me as someone who has no desire to explain what’s funny.

DaveSchmidt said:

I don't get it.

mtierney said:

Doesn't that depend on the song they are singing?

mtierney said:

“The earliest documentation of critical thinking are the teachings of Socrates recorded by Plato. Socrates established the fact that one cannot depend upon those in "authority" to have sound knowledge and insight. He demonstrated that persons may have power and high position and yet be deeply confused and irrational. He established the importance of asking deep questions that probe profoundly into thinking before we accept ideas as worthy of belief.”

Do you agree with Socrates?

Re the Socrates quote: it's also demonstrably untrue, since there are older writers in other cultures who have taught critical thinking that is still used today. 

I'm referencing Zoroastrian sages, Hebraic sages, older archaeological fragments found in the last 30 years all over the world... 

Let's try not to be so Western civilisation biased, please. cheese 

Is Ricky Gervais' monolgue at the 2020 Golden Globe funny?

ETA: I think calling out Apple for their hypocrisy was hilarious.  Apple has created a program entitled the Morning Show which Gervais describes as being "an excellent drama about emphasizing the importance of dignity and doing the right thing." Link to Morning Show:   https://tv.apple.com/us/show/the-morning-show/umc.cmc.25tn3v8ku4b39tr6ccgb8nl6m  While at the same time, Apple is running sweat shops (AKA modern day slavery) in China.  All done in front of Apple CEO, Tim Cook.

Ricky Gervais' monologue at Golden Globes is set forth in the following two links  (first link has good audio but frozen video while second link has good audio and video but has been edited down to about 3 minutes from 8 minutes):  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vuT8ki9yM4

========================================================

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/01/05/most-scathing-jokes-ricky-gervaiss-golden-globes-monologue/

Brief excerpt from WaPo article on Golden Globe monologue of Ricky Gervais:

Jeffrey Epstein

“No one cares about movies anymore, no one goes to the cinema, no one really watches network TV. Everyone’s watching Netflix. This show should just be me coming out going, ‘Well done Netflix, you win everything, good night.’ But no, we’ve got to drag it out three hours. You could binge watch the entire first season of ‘After Life’ instead of watching this show. That’s a show about a man who wants to kill himself because his wife dies of cancer — and it’s still more fun than this. Spoiler alert, Season 2 is on the way, so in the end, he obviously didn’t kill himself — just like Jeffrey Epstein. (gasps) Shut up! I know he’s your friend, but I don’t care. You had to make your own way here on your own plane, didn’t you?”

Leonardo DiCaprio

“ ‘The Irishman’ was amazing … long, but amazing. It wasn’t the only epic movie. ‘Once Upon a Time in ... Hollywood’? Nearly three hours long. Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere and by the end, his date was too old for him. Even Prince Andrew’s like, ‘Come on, Leo, mate, you’re nearly 50-something.’ ”

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association

“Kevin Hart was fired from the Oscars because of some offensive tweets. Hello? Lucky for me, the Hollywood Foreign Press can barely speak English and they have no idea what Twitter is. So I got offered this gig by fax.”

“Many talented people of color were snubbed in major categories. Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do about that: The Hollywood Foreign Press are all very, very racist. We were going to do an In Memoriam this year, but when I saw the list of people that died, it wasn’t diverse enough. It was mostly white people and I thought, ‘No. Not on my watch.’ ”

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!