January 6, 2021 on MOL

drummerboy said:

ya know, hillbilly just means unsophisticated. It's not the worst slur you can fling at someone, and I mean, have you ever heard interviews with these people? Worldly they ain't.

And the mere fact that they're there at all means they've been taken in by the most obvious con-man in history. That doesn't make them smarties.

Anyway, at least it's nicer than deplorable.

Everyone jumped all over me in the other thread and instructed me to do an image search for the word thug.  Why don't you do the same for hilbilly.

flimbro said:

Hmmm

What's the consensus on redneck, yokel, hick, rube, and bumpkin? 

Also, as you may imagine, I do have other less bucolic or down homey descriptors at my disposal as well. I will warn you though- these alternates do not summon up folksy images of Mayberry, Petticoat Junction, Bo or Luke Duke, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, Hee Haw, Duck Dynasty the Beverly H-words or any kind of elegy.

Please advise and I'll gladly edit and re-post with a more  apropriate moniker for racist, low information, murderous traitors, and would-be assassins.

I would expect someone whom seems to demand quite a bit of introspection and sensitivity to be more....I don't know....sensitive

PVW said:

I'll admit that I often don't care for his tone and approach -- there's a great deal of ad hominems and I find the whole heretic schtick tedious -- but he has an actual point of view and works to express a set of principles, as much as anyone does. If I ignore the gratuitous insults and diversions, it does force me to think about my own point of view and principles, where they are consistent and where they are fuzzy. I'll take that over, say, mtierney's boring partisanship any time.

This reads as a bit of a backhanded compliment, and I suppose to a degree it is -- I'm not going to pretend I don't find his approach frustrating and often pretty off-putting. One of his apparent goals it to just p*** people off, and I'll admit he often succeeds. But even people who go out of their way to be rude and unfriendly often have something actually interesting to say, so on balance I do feel I learn via my interactions with him. The one thing I do worry about is that these tend to end up dominating threads, at the expense of other topics and other voices, so probably I should watch myself a bit more and not get too drawn in as often or as long as I do.

Thanks, I think.  If you read some of these threads, its quite hilarious that you think it's the ad hominem attacks from me rather than directed at me that's the problem.  

Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads, but this place could use more oppositional voices.  You don't even seem to realize what an echo chamber this place is.

DaveSchmidt said:

terp said:

Why do you think they don't feel welcome?

A guess: Because their infatuation with their arguments isn't as strong as their impatience with being challenged to defend them.

Here you go

jamie said:

I wonder how long the false equivalence to BLM protests will go on for.  It's so predictable.

Millions showed up at BLM marches.  And the show of force at a lot of them was overpowering.

Here's one in Minneapolis. 

I never said stuff like police intimidation was ok,  I am harder on the police than literally anyone on this board.

drummerboy said:

ml1 said:

drummerboy said:

IMHO I don't think the rioting clowns should be called terrorists.

why not?  Isn't what they're doing pretty much the definition of terrorism?

(I hate to pull a terp here but)

were the summer rioters terrorists? 

I'm just really wary of throwing the terrorist label around - it leads to bad laws.

Don't be apologetic,  you're right,  I don't care what the dictionary definition is.  That is a charged word.

We shouldn't be calling the people who stormed the Capitol terrorists nor should we call the rioters terrorists.  We have a war on terror.   We do horrible things to people in the name of that war.

I'm not even sure we should call terrorists terrorists any more.  Good on you for dissenting, even in a small way and while taking a shot at yours truly.

Are you able to talk about what happened - or are you just highlight BLM events?  I don't understand your main point with what happened at the capital.

I'm still surprised we're whatabouting BLM at this time. We're no longer talking about the capital attacks. Trumpers love it when people offer distractions. This is politics 101 in the Trump era.

Any thoughts on the missed advanced warning - police participating - the failure to get authorization from the national guard to help for 90 minutes - chanting to hand pence - police and other killed.

Do you understand that one video where the vlogger highlighted that protests occurs with a specific intention in mind?  BLM was a lot of people that were tired of Black lives lost at the hands of police - many on video.  The purpose of millions marching across the country was for reform.  

What was the intention to storm the capital?   Lies perpetuated from our president?

terp said:

Here you go

Except I’m still here. As self-infatuated as I am, you wouldn’t believe my patience when challenged.

DaveSchmidt said:

terp said:

Here you go

Except I’m still here. As self-infatuated as I am, you wouldn’t believe my patience when challenged.

You come here to have your views challenged?

jamie said:

Are you able to talk about what happened - or are you just highlight BLM events?  I don't understand your main point with what happened at the capital.

I'm still surprised we're whatabouting BLM at this time. We're no longer talking about the capital attacks. Trumpers love it when people offer distractions. This is politics 101 in the Trump era.

Any thoughts on the missed advanced warning - police participating - the failure to get authorization from the national guard to help for 90 minutes - chanting to hand pence - police and other killed.

Do you understand that one video where the vlogger highlighted that protests occurs with a specific intention in mind?  BLM was a lot of people that were tired of Black lives lost at the hands of police - many on video.  The purpose of millions marching across the country was for reform.  

What was the intention to storm the capital?   Lies perpetuated from our president?

You asked for an example and I provided one.  I didn't have any problem with the peaceful marches.  And again, I do not agree with the police intimidation.  

And I don't like the storming of the capitol as goofy as it was.  But here's the thing.  There are a lot of disenfranchised people.  That is really why we got Trump in the first place.  Someone who voted for Trump because they think the system is rotten to the core is going to be an easy sell that the election was stolen.  Again, it was an odd election and there were irregularities.   Were there enough to swing it the other way?  That is anyone's guess.  What is important is that it is not difficult for people to believe.

I have stated that I think those who stormed the Capitol should be punished.  I stand by that.  But, in the bigger picture I'm really concerned that this part of our society is going to feel more and more alienated due to some of these further measures.

Let me ask a question.   If there is legislation that is purported to curb this going forward and that legislation curbs our rights much like the patriot act; Are people here going to be on board with that?  I have a sneaking suspicion the answer is going to be yes.

terp said:

Floyd said:

STANV said:

terp said:

How would you define a terrorist? 

I guess I have to rely on Webster's:

1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion. 2 : violent and intimidating gang activity street terrorism. Other Words from terrorism. terrorist \ -​ist \ adjective or noun.

Well. That wasn't hard at all. Was it Terp?

I would say that definition fits both the Jan 6 mob as well as much of the mob violence we saw over the summer.

I'd also point out that by the above definition the US government is a terrorist organization 

One thing that should help is having a president who doesn't lie on average 22 times a day.

Someone who voted for Trump because they think the system is rotten to the core is going to be an easy sell that the election was stolen. Again, it was an odd election and there were irregularities. Were there enough to swing it the other way? That is anyone's guess. What is important is that it is not difficult for people to believe.

This is precisely the Trump lie and the reason a lot of these people were angry in DC.  At least we have a better understanding as to why you believe what you do.

You're saying it was an "easy sell" to say the election was stolen.  Do you think that Donny saying for months that the election was rigged COULD have contributed to this?  In fact he's rarely said that any election was fair - even when he won.  He had 4 years to figure out how he lost the popular vote which he claimed to have won.

What is the #1 proof of any rigging?

terp said:

I'd also point out that by the above definition the US government is a terrorist organization 

how so?

terp said:

You come here to have your views challenged?

Partly, sure. 

In any case, you asked why (twice) and, mirrors aside, that’s my working theory.

hmmm. this seems serious.

terp said:

ml1 said:

you really don't do nuance at all, do you? 

I didn't write what you claim. You took out the qualifiers, the context and the nuance.

I'm done. I can no longer discuss with someone who continues to misrepresent what I've written.

Wow.  Touchy touchy.  First off, you did write all of that.  I am quoting you directly.  I didn't snip your quote.  I even provided links for those who would like the fuller context. 

Not only is the above post naseatingly juvenile, but it is in itself an example of a double standard.  I have had my posts clipped.  Even if the claim you make above was true, you would still be a big baby.  

I have been called names, repeatedly.  And that is not in a situation where I'm surrounded by 10 or so like minded people.  No, it's just me and 10 people that are constantly attacking me.  Theres this Dennis seenblach guy who only seems to use his account to hurl personal attacks at me.  I mean, the moderator of this board edited the title of one of my threads completely mischaracterizing my point. 

Again, what happened to all of the opposition. on this board?  It was always a minority, but it was always present.  Why do you think they don't feel welcome?

The fact remains you will go out of your way to find any possible way to deflect any blame from people you agree with and you will find any possible reason to condemn those you disagree with.  It is just tribal behavior.  That is all it is. 

But I get it.  The truth hurts.

Geez...At least you could have gotten my name right, but I guess that would have required more intellectual diligence than you've ever shown. And, BTW, I also hurl "personal attacks" at a few others...You're NOT so special.

terp said:

Everyone jumped all over me in the other thread and instructed me to do an image search for the word thug.  Why don't you do the same for hilbilly.

Lots of pictures of Glenn Close.

drummerboy said:

hmmm. this seems serious.

That would be very concerning, if true

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Geez...At least you could have gotten my name right, but I guess that would have required more intellectual diligence than you've ever shown. And, BTW, I also hurl "personal attacks" at a few others...You're NOT so special.

That's true.  Mr. Seelbach is an equal opportunity insulter.

terp said:

Thanks, I think.  If you read some of these threads, its quite hilarious that you think it's the ad hominem attacks from me rather than directed at me that's the problem.  

Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads, but this place could use more oppositional voices.  You don't even seem to realize what an echo chamber this place is.

No, it's your posts.

terp said:

There is literally nothing that would help my case in any discussion with you. We both know that.  

terp said:

Floyd said:

STANV said:

terp said:

How would you define a terrorist? 

I guess I have to rely on Webster's:

1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence especially against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion. 2 : violent and intimidating gang activity street terrorism. Other Words from terrorism. terrorist \ -​ist \ adjective or noun.

Well. That wasn't hard at all. Was it Terp?

I would say that definition fits both the Jan 6 mob as well as much of the mob violence we saw over the summer.

I guess a slave revolt would fit that definition, too - at least in your mind.

DaveSchmidt said:

Partly, sure. 

In any case, you asked why (twice) and, mirrors aside, that’s my working theory.

how often do you and I agree? 

jamie said:

This is your leader example - seriously?  Never heard of him - how many twitter followers does he have?  Do you feel that Trump has a civic duty to tell his million of followers the truth.  We currently have his proud boys and 2nd amendment followers on standby and millions who actually believe him.  You must have an issue with the brainwashing of Donny to some degree.

Was the guy in the video talking about Rittenhouse?  What did the crowd do right after this speech?  Did they storm any government building?

He has 2,448 followers on twitter. Haven't checked his instagram yet. 

He wasn't exactly quiet about being there, either. He livestreamed it. He was detained afterwards, then set free. Here's a local newspaper interview with him the day after it all happened. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/7/22219733/utah-activist-inside-u-s-capitol-says-woman-killed-was-first-to-try-and-enter-house-chamber-sullivan

Heck this Washington Examiner (The Conservative Source Americans Deserve) piece on him even linked to his Patreon page (now taken down) so people could donate to him: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/blm-activist-documented-capitol-siege

jamie said:

have you read anything about Andy Ngo? If you do, you might not take any of his tweets at face value. 

terp said:

Again, it was an odd election and there were irregularities. Were there enough to swing it the other way? That is anyone's guess.

It actually isn’t anyone’s guess.

nohero said:

Dennis_Seelbach said:

That's true.  Mr. Seelbach is an equal opportunity insulter.

Thanks. Although there are a few, including you, who I don't believe I ever insulted. Wonder why?

DaveSchmidt said:

terp said:

Again, it was an odd election and there were irregularities. Were there enough to swing it the other way? That is anyone's guess.

It actually isn’t anyone’s guess.

This, too, is an important point.

Quick detour on "hillbilly." I don't like it, and in general try to avoid those kinds of labels. There's the argument over civility, I suppose, which I personally buy -- it's good to avoid gratuitous insults in general. But the actual, stronger argument against it is that it's distracting. First, it makes it easy to then argue over tone rather than the actual substance of an argument.

But it's also often just incorrect, as it is here. It would be comforting to believe these people who violently attacked Congress are stupid, deluded people who don't know better, but that's incorrect. Plenty of "respectable" folks were part of the mob.

Second, even if the mob had been made up exclusively of poor rural people, I'm not inclined to excuse their ignorance by suggesting that they didn't know better and were incapable of knowing better. These were adults, not children. They deserve to be taken seriously. And to take someone seriously means holding them accountable for their actions. "They're too stupid to be responsible" is condescending and overly indulgent.

I have no doubt that many of them sincerely believe the election was fraudulent. To DS note, though, this isn't "anyone's guess." There is no evidence at all that there were irregularities sufficient to change the outcome. In fact, logic and all available evidence tell us the opposite. How could the same ballots -- literally the same ballots -- be correct for Republican congressional candidates who won but fraudulent for Biden? That makes no sense.

If there was sense to be made here, it should have been made in court, under oath. Yet despite many, many, many court cases, no convincing allegation of fraud or election-changing irregularities were made.

There were even several recounts -- a partial one in Wisconsin that ended up slightly adding to Biden's lead, and two recounts in Georgia.

People who believe the election was stolen have chosen to do so. They may very well sincerely hold that belief, but let's be clear that they are adults, they are able to choose, and they have decided to believe lies. They were told likes they liked hearing, and they chose to accept them.

Do the people peddling those lies bear greater responsibility? Absolutely. Trump should be impeached and barred from high office, his lawyers should be disbarred and sanctioned, and members of Congress who went along with this and lied to their constituents should be sanctioned and possibly expelled. But those who choose to believe these lies are accountable too. Trump supporters often whine about not being taken seriously, and I agree. Take them seriously -- hold them accountable.

I love it that MOL has gone on a tangent as to whether or not hillbilly is a derogatory term.  This is one reason that MOL is a great forum.    Verona High School proudly has its Hillbilly nickname.   West Virginia University has the Mountaineer as their mascot.  

I confess that I sometimes watch TV wrestling.  One of the repeated plots is that the "good guy" will be beating up the "bad guy" and the bad guy then raises his hands begging for mercy.   As soon as the good guy stops and turns his back on the bad guy, the bad guy attacks the good guy from the back.    This is the strategy that Trump uses a lot.     

RobertRoe said:

I confess that I sometimes watch TV wrestling.  One of the repeated plots is that the "good guy" will be beating up the "bad guy" and the bad guy then raises his hands begging for mercy.   As soon as the good guy stops and turns his back on the bad guy, the bad guy attacks the good guy from the back.    This is the strategy that Trump uses a lot.     

I saw that with Trump. After his insurrection he was quiet and then made a speech of contrition where he decried his terrorists, said violence is not the answer and we should unite. He did that then being afraid of 25th.

A couple of days later, being less afraid his tone changed to not my fault, I'm not apologizing.

A bully and a coward. We've all seen them when growing up. They're so big and tough but when really confronted its sudden contrition. Till the next bully episode.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.