Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Jaytee said:

I was wondering if the nuns wouldn’t have to be celibate also. I think it’s fair if priests aren’t required to be, that nuns should have the same rights. It’s interesting to see how far Franchis can go with this. I like him.

Hello? Is this thing on? 

nohero said:

Nuns are members of religious communities (the same with men in religious orders who aren't priests). They're celibate because they're in those communities.  There are married people who become members of religious orders, too, but they don't live in community the way nuns and brothers do.

nohero said:

No, you're conflating two different "explanations". Non-catholics blame the celibacy requirement. "Less enlightened Church fathers" blame homosexuality.

Not being a Catholic or even a Christian (other than in a cultural sense) I will defer to your judgement.

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!

mtierney said:

HAPPY ST. PATRICK’S DAY!

Everyone's favorite hyphenated-American holiday.

I think ml1 and I have written many times about St. Patrick's Day. Having said that, if I wasn't going to be on a flight today, I'd be at the Gate right now.

ridski said:

I think ml1 and I have written many times about St. Patrick's Day. Having said that, if I wasn't going to be on a flight today, I'd be at the Gate right now.

Hope you had a safe journey. My youngest granddaughter is on a semester abroad in London, and bopping around every chance she gets. Hopefully some time is spent in the classroom — but I have always believed travel is an education in itself. So far, she has visited Paris, Rome, Florence, Ireland, Munich — next week her parents are going to visit her and do some traveling together. 

To relate this to this thread, may I say that I am alarmed that Buttigieg has been called upon to fix what appears broken with air traffic control, and the cascading issues surrounding air travel, in general. Lots of praying to do!

mtierney said:

To relate this to this thread, may I say that I am alarmed that Buttigieg has been called upon to fix what appears broken with air traffic control, and the cascading issues surrounding air travel, in general. Lots of praying to do!

Are you alarmed that air traffic control has to be fixed, or are you alarmed that Pete Buttigieg is the Secretary of Transportation whose department oversees that?

His incompetence was obvious with the train derailment in Ohio; I see no reason to expect he is up to the troubles with air traffic control, etc,

mtierney said:

His incompetence was obvious with the train derailment in Ohio; ...

Do you have anything specific to point to that supports your statement? I ask because nobody has identified anything he did before or after the derailment that caused it or exacerbated it.

nohero said:

Do you have anything specific to point to that supports your statement? I ask because nobody has identified anything he did before or after the derailment that caused it or exacerbated it.

he left a baby bottle sitting on the tracks…

nohero said:

It more about what he didn’t do in response to the chemical catastrophe. Like showing up.

mtierney said:

It more about what he didn’t do in response to the chemical catastrophe. Like showing up.

Elaine Chao never showed up to a single rail derailment or crash - even ones with fatalities. No outcry there from either side. She wrote a whole bunch of sharply worded letters to rail company executives though, so all of these problems should have been fixed already.

mtierney said on this thread:

mtierney
said on another thread:

I have always tried to keep extraneous and deflecting topics from my garden. A lot like weeding.

This is a shockingly poor performance.  Perhaps it is time for the gardener to be fired for cause.

Other than distracting the responders, what on Earth would Buttigieg have accomplished by visiting the site?

What would, perhaps, be more useful is if the GOP sent a delegation of its leadership to the site to explain to the locals their efforts over the past 20 years to deregulate the rail road industry.  Yertle the Mitch Turtle never met a health and safety regulation that he didn't immediately try to kill.

See Rose Garden thread for more on deregulation.

Back to the Gospel —-( Please forgive any misplacement of text)

GospeL Mt 1:16, 18-21, 24a

Jacob was the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary.
Of her was born Jesus who is called the Christ.

Now this is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about.
When his mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph,
but before they lived together,
she was found with child through the Holy Spirit.
Joseph her husband, since he was a righteous man,
yet unwilling to expose her to shame,
decided to divorce her quietly.
Such was his intention when, behold,
the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said,
“Joseph, son of David,
do not be afraid to take Mary your wife into your home.
For it is through the Holy Spirit
that this child has been conceived in her.
She will bear a son and you are to name him Jesus,
because he will save his people from their sins.”
When Joseph awoke,
he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him
and took his wife into his home.

Why are you posting the gospel every day? 

ml1 said:

Maybe it is some sort of prep for someday actually reading it.

Truly, Joseph was a man of great GREAT faith.

ml1 said:

From February 27 on this thread -

mtierney said:

Please feel free to contribute comments related to the thread’s topic any time you want to. This Lent, I “resolved “ to post the Gospel daily. Will I make it through 40 days? Only God knows.

nohero said:

ml1 said:

From February 27 on this thread -

mtierney said:

Please feel free to contribute comments related to the thread’s topic any time you want to. This Lent, I “resolved “ to post the Gospel daily. Will I make it through 40 days? Only God knows.

She didn't like my contribution very well even though she seems like a "the Old Testament was the best testament" sort of gal.

Professional trolls need no “reason” to disrupt or deflect.

mtierney said:

Professional trolls need no “reason” to disrupt or deflect.

Say's MOL's greatest troll.

“America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance. 

Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos. 

Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.”
Fulton J. Sheen

nohero said:

got it. So I guess this will be mostly just that for the next few weeks. 

mtierney said:

“America, it is said, is suffering from intolerance — it is not. It is suffering from tolerance. 

Tolerance of right and wrong, truth and error, virtue and evil, Christ and chaos. 

Our country is not nearly so overrun with the bigoted as it is overrun with the broadminded.”
Fulton J. Sheen

What, no pithy quote from Cardinal Pell?

ml1 said:

nohero said:

got it. So I guess this will be mostly just that for the next few weeks. 

Cheer up, we're halfway there.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!