Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Imho, mocking the Pope's teachings about climate change shows considerable more disrespect for the Church than wearing casual clothes to mass does. 

finnegan said:

Imho, mocking the Pope's teachings about climate change shows considerable more disrespect for the Church than wearing casual clothes to mass does. 

the right wingers have no hesitation mocking a Pope when he says something they don't agree with. Like this:

Pope Francis champions right of workers to organize in unions

People on the right really don't care for the teachings of Jesus. Not surprisingly, the only thing they tend to agree with popes on is abortion, an issue that not surprisingly, Jesus didn't spend a whole lot of time being concerned about.

mtierney said:

TLM crossed language barriers, and attending a Mass in Poland, or Berlin, or Paris, was unifying I found. We all spoke the same language!

Just to return to this - I have been to Masses said in Spanish and in French, and have never found the fact that the liturgy was in a language other than English to be a "language barrier".  That's because, to paraphrase Gertrude Stein, the Mass is the Mass is the Mass. They're the same prayers that I know in English. The Consecration is the Consecration, with the same visible signs; I don't need to know the language to know what's being said.

Sure, I will not understand the scripture readings (unless I catch a clue as to which one it is), nor will I understand the homily, but that would be the same for a Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) conducted anywhere that English was not the language used.

ml1 said:

For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to bring back the Latin Mass. I wonder in the U.S. how much overlap there is between people who want to make America great again, and want to make the Mass great again.

Short answer - it depends.  The Latin Mass, or TLM, never went away, so it's not being "brought back". There are lots of people who like the feel and the rhythms of that Mass.  However, there are some who use it as a larger resistance to all of the insights, changes, and opening brought about by Vatican II.  That's why there has been some limiting of the TLM, to deal with those who claim to be "Catholic" but who (like the author of the piece Ms. Mtierney posted) use the TLM as part of their claim that anyone who uses the "regular" Mass isn't really being Catholic.

A good piece on this: ​​"Purgatory is a roomful of people arguing about the Latin Mass". Excerpt -

National Review’s Michael Brendan Dougherty took to the New York Times to accuse the Pope of “tearing the Catholic Church apart,” ironically exemplifying exactly what the Holy Father intended to address:“Pope Francis envisions that we will return to the new Mass. My children cannot return to it; it is not their religious formation. Frankly, the new Mass is not their religion.” (Dougherty)

Clearly, what tears apart the Church is the ideology nurtured in the communities to which Dougherty belongs. It bears false witness against the Catholic religion of not only Pope Francis and his predecessors, but the faith of virtually every Catholic on earth—simply because they attend the reformed Roman Rite of the Mass.

mtierney said:

The other side of the story….

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/08/the-pro-life-generation-joyful-and-just-getting-started/

Mtierney,

Do you believe that a woman should be allowed to end a pregnancy in cases of rape, incest or medical problems?

Do you believe global warming is an issue and, if so, what should we do about it?

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

Do you believe that a woman should be allowed to end a pregnancy in cases of rape, incest or medical problems?

Do you believe global warming is an issue and, if so, what should we do about it?

The law provides exemptions; but may vary from state to state. 

Yes, I do believe that global warming is an issue. I also believe panicked  political demands are not a solution. Global warming should not be a political football on demand.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Mtierney,

Yes, I do believe that global warming is an issue. I also believe panicked  political demands are not a solution. Global warming should not be a political football on demand.

Very good.  You didn't answer the first question which leads me to conclude you have no thoughts of your own.

On on the second question, you are saying that you don't think it is an urgent issue and that you favor more study and, if things get bad, thoughts and prayers.

mtierney said:

The other side of the story….

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/08/the-pro-life-generation-joyful-and-just-getting-started/

I can't read the whole article.  All I can see is that it's about the "Young America's Foundation" and its recent "National Conservative Student Conference" - where older Republicans give speeches to young people and tell them lies about human sexuality, the economy, and race.

[Edited to add] And in keeping with the theme of this thread (Pope Francis), some of the speakers there hate Pope Francis.

mtierney said:

There you go making a mockery of yourself again. 

Tjohn didn’t ask how the law reads, he asked what you believe.

Should we believe that she doesn’t understand the question even though it has been repeated dozens of times?

Pope Francis sent a letter to organizers of the Outreach 2020 conference on LGBTQ Ministry (https://outreach.faith/outreach-2022/)

Thank you for the letter you sent me a few weeks ago, along with the “Outreach 2022” brochure. Congratulations for having been able to make the event happen this year in person.

I am aware that the most valuable thing is not what appears in the brochure or in the photos, but what happened in interpersonal encounters. In fact, the pandemic made us seek alternatives to shorten the distances. It also taught us that certain things are irreplaceable, among them the possibility to look at each other “face to face,” even with those who think differently or those whose differences seem to separate or even confront us. When we overcome these barriers, we realize that there is more that unites us than separates us.

I encourage you all to keep working in the culture of encounter, which shortens the distances and enriches us with differences, in the same manner of Jesus, who made himself close to everyone.

I assure you of my prayers. Don’t stop praying for me. May Jesus bless you and the Blessed Virgin care for you.

Fraternally,

Francis

https://outreach.faith/2022/08/in-new-letter-to-outreach-pope-francis-calls-catholics-to-foster-a-culture-of-encounter/

That Francis, every time he speaks, or writes, he seems to make sense and radiate kindness, even to us heathens.

tjohn said:

Very good.  You didn't answer the first question which leads me to conclude you have no thoughts of your own.

On on the second question, you are saying that you don't think it is an urgent issue and that you favor more study and, if things get bad, thoughts and prayers.

I did,  but evidently  not to your satisfaction. I am not a prosecutor, defense attorney, nor a medical doctor.

Nothing I wrote would lead a thoughtful person to those conclusions. 

You more or less cited the Republican position which is more or less to drag their feet at least until Lake Mead and Lake Powell are at dead pool status.

The problem with global warming is that it is a long lead time problem - long in the making, long in the fixing - and we will have to try many expensive solutions with war time urgency.

As long as global warming is fodder for politicians, and not in the best interests of American citizens, there will be arguments and a stalemate and loss of resources.

If ever an issue needed bipartisan cooperation, global warming is dead center. Everyone has a stake in the outcome — or failure. Global warming can not be constructed to fit an election timeline.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed the chaos and financial worries triggered by high gas costs. A manufactured dilemma, perhaps, but a middle class nightmare, nonetheless!

mtierney said:

As long as global warming is fodder for politicians, and not in the best interests of American citizens, there will be arguments and a stalemate and loss of resources.

it's terrible that climate change is being politicized.  So, let's politicize it.

mtierney said:

Just a couple of weeks ago, we witnessed the chaos and financial worries triggered by high gas costs. A manufactured dilemma, perhaps, but a middle class nightmare, nonetheless!

And the cartoon - appealing to the ignorance of the target audience.

nohero said:

You are assuming Americans, who suffer in multiple ways, when their livelihood and way of life, living from paycheck to paycheck, are ignorant? wow!

However, the price tax for electric cars are way out of the range for a vast segment of Americans across this nation. Physically and financially.

That is an even more demeaning response from you than usual! 

mtierney said:

nohero said:

You are assuming Americans, who suffer in multiple ways, when their livelihood and way of life, living from paycheck to paycheck, are ignorant? wow!

However, the price tax for electric cars are way out of the range for a vast segment of Americans across this nation. Physically and financially.

I'm not assuming Americans are ignorant.

However, it seems that I shouldn't assume good reading comprehension among all MOL readers.

By the way, this is still the "Pope Francis" thread, so it's really not the right place for these dishonest "cartoons" that are against addressing energy conservation and emissions reduction.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

You don't have any idea how much electric cars cost.

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-are-the-11-cheapest-electric-vehicles-you-can-buy-439849/

And the only people who are ignorant is the audience for your asinine cartoons.

FYI…Some POSTERS here are so insecure,  their funny bones have gone missing.

Positive response to attempts to down out free speech….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/251936/catholics-respond-with-prayer-and-song-when-protesters-disrupt-conference

mtierney said:

the reality is that a vast segment of Americans can't afford to buy a new car of any sort. 

mtierney said:

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/251936/catholics-respond-with-prayer-and-song-when-protesters-disrupt-conference

So what was the effect of prayer? Did God swoop down to eliminate the protestors? Not that He had a problem doing so before such as when He sent bears to maul the children.

2 Kings 2:23-24 He [Elisha] went up from there to Bethel, and while he was going
up on the way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him,
saying, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” And he turned
around, and when he saw them, he cursed them in the name of the Lord.
And two she-bears came out of the woods and tore forty-two of the boys.

mtierney said:

Napa Institute attendees are the kind of Catholics who think Pope Francis is practically a Marxist. 

In all versions of the Bible, we’re charged with looking after the Earth, the plants, the seas, and all living creatures. All of us, following Adam’s example; no exceptions. 
We now have record-breaking fires, heatwaves, floods, droughts - goodness, even the source of the Thames has dried up so it’s 5 miles shorter! And the Po river in Italy is barely a trickle! - who cares if it’s global warming or not???! Stop polluting, stop plundering, stop destroying what remains and start conserving and restoring what we can, following Biblical instruction. Sigh. *for Heaven’s sake*

mtierney said:

Hungry children as pawns in politics….

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/252011/catholic-schools-free-lunch-funding-threatened-by-biden-lgbt-rule-change

You mean because some Catholic schools want to treat LGBTQ children as second class people, school lunch aid is threatened.  At times like this, you might ask yourself how would Jesus treat LGBTQ kids?  Differently from the hateful way they are treated by organized religion, I would guess.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.