Credit to our Right-Wingnuts

RFA, you might be interested in this ‘factoid’ that I suspect was not reported over there: hundreds of Australians donated, too.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-16/australians-donate-to-canadian-convoy-givesendgo-fundraiser/100832928

RealityForAll said:

All, or almost all, donations made through GiveSendGO for the benefit of the Ottawa Convoy protest did not reach the truckers.  Additionally, sourcing of donations is apparently based on the residence of the donor.  

This methodology fails to capture whether the donor is: i.) a Canadian citizen with a US "green card; ii.) a dual citizen of Canada and the US; or iii.) a Canadian citizen who is illegally in the US.  IOW, funds did not reach truckers, and we are not able o assess whether donors with US address have connections to Canada through Canadian citizenship.  Thus, this factoid is a red herring.

RealityForAll said:

Excerpt of comments of Ontario Premier Doug Ford (https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/we-are-done-with-it-doug-ford-says-ontario-is-moving-on-from-covid-19-1.5782355):

“We are done with it,” Ford said of limits to public activity. “Let’s just start moving on, cautiously. The world’s done with it, let’s just move forward.”

“We just have to be careful, make sure we wash our hands and move forward.”

He suggested there was little value in further rounds of vaccination, pointing out third doses do not provide ironclad protection from infection with Omicron.  “We also know that it doesn’t matter if you have one shot or 10 shots, you can still catch COVID-19,” he said.  “You see the Prime Minister he has triple shots and I know hundreds of people with three shots, who caught COVID-19, we just need to be careful, always make sure we wash our hands and move forward” [emphasis added].

====================================================

IOW, people can differ on vaccine policy going forward.

Ford is not a scientist and a lot of his reasoning is faulty. The third vaccination is what is keeping people out of hospitals. He actually sounds like a bit of a dunce. 

RealityForAll said:

All, or almost all, donations made through GiveSendGO for the benefit of the Ottawa Convoy protest did not reach the truckers.  Additionally, sourcing of donations is apparently based on the residence of the donor.  

This methodology fails to capture whether the donor is: i.) a Canadian citizen with a US "green card"; ii.) a dual citizen of Canada and the US; or iii.) a Canadian citizen who is illegally in the US.  IOW, funds did not reach truckers, and we are not able to assess whether donors with US address have connections to Canada through Canadian citizenship.  Thus, this factoid is a red herring.

but you asked this.

RealityForAll said:

Jaytee said:

Do you know how many Americans are[/were] in the protest? 

Please tell us how many Americans (AKA US citizens or US permanent residents) were involved in the Ottawa convoy protest.

RealityForAll said:

This methodology fails to capture whether the donor is: i.) a Canadian citizen with a US "green card"; ii.) a dual citizen of Canada and the US; or iii.) a Canadian citizen who is illegally in the US.

Illegal immigrants from Canada? No, can't be -- surely if there were, mtierney would be all over this in the Rose Garden thread. There couldn't possibly be any reason why she'd be less upset by undocumented  Canadians than by undocumented Mexicans, Hondurans, or Salvadorans....

I had been wondering how long accounts frozen under the emergency order would stay frozen. Looks like the partial answer is "all of the accounts that have been frozen will remain so for up to 30 days from Feb. 14, the date of the national emergency declaration. But the government could extend or shorten that period."

(NYT, Canada Freezes Hundreds of Accounts Tied to Protests)

PVW said:

I had been wondering how long accounts frozen under the emergency order would stay frozen. Looks like the partial answer is "all of the accounts that have been frozen will remain so for up to 30 days from Feb. 14, the date of the national emergency declaration. But the government could extend or shorten that period."

(NYT, Canada Freezes Hundreds of Accounts Tied to Protests)

from the subhead:

As a court denied bail to one arrested protest organizer, banks have locked up hundreds of accounts linked to others under an emergency order invoked by the government.

How long until one of the Fox News barking heads declares that it's a shameful denial of someone's rights to keep them locked up before they've been convicted of anything?

ml1 said:

How long until one of the Fox News barking heads declares that it's a shameful denial of someone's rights to keep them locked up before they've been convicted of anything?

Bail reform! Bail reform!

ridski said:

Bail reform! Bail reform!

consistency is not a hallmark of the right. It's as if they assume most of their audience has anterograde amnesia. 

The Flu Trux Klan is out in force here in YEG, fighting their brave fight to prevent me from picking my kid up from school on time.  If he has to stand out  in the cold for 20 minutes (high today in Edmonton is -1F) that is a sacrifice they are willing to make for their free-dumbs.  

Small wonder ordinary Canadians hate them with a passion.

Upside, apparently there is a class action law suit in the works to use the funds raised for the Cowards Convoy from foreign sources (read American) to compensate those Canadians who's livelihoods were harmed by the Siege.

So maybe I have my Canadian stereotypes wrong, but I would have thought Edmonton might actually have folks sympathetic to the protestors? Alberta being the "Canadian Texas" and all that?

GoSlugs said:

Nearly Half (46%) of Canadians Say they “May Not Agree with Everything” Trucker Convoy Says or Does, But ... Sympathy for Convoy Rises to 61% among Canadians aged 18-34 [emphasis added]. Nearly Four in Ten Canadians Agree with a Lot of What Trucker Protests are Fighting For, Even if they Might Not Say it Publicly.  See:  https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoyd

PS In light of doxxing of contributors to GiveSendGO (FBO Ottawa Convoy), it is unlikely that your acquaintances will disclose support for the Ottawa Convoy to you.  Nobody wants to get doxxed, lose their livelihood or be verbally abused.  

RealityForAll said:

PS In light of doxxing of contributors to GiveSendGO (FBO Ottawa Convoy), it is unlikely that your acquaintances will disclose support for the Ottawa Convoy to you.  Nobody wants to get doxxed, lose their livelihood or be verbally abused.  

LOL!  I don't need to ask anyone, the people booing as these wing nuts go by express their opinion well enough themselves.

But hey, tell me what Canadians think.  I'm sure you are an expert. 

PVW said:

So maybe I have my Canadian stereotypes wrong, but I would have thought Edmonton might actually have folks sympathetic to the protestors? Alberta being the "Canadian Texas" and all that?

Alberta is the Texas of Canada but Edmonton is the Austin of Alberta.  Our members of both the national and provincial parliament are both NDP which is sort of like the Bernie/AOC wing of the Democratic Party in the US.  Good people!

RealityForAll said:

GoSlugs said:

Nearly Half (46%) of Canadians Say they “May Not Agree with Everything” Trucker Convoy Says or Does, But ... Sympathy for Convoy Rises to 61% among Canadians aged 18-34 [emphasis added=. Nearly Four in Ten Canadians Agree with a Lot of What Trucker Protests are Fighting For, Even if they Might Not Say it Publicly.  See:  https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoyd

anything more recent than 2 weeks ago?

ml1 said:

His poll was conducted before the incident at Coutts which really soured a lot of people who are still (literally) gun shy after the massacre in Nova Scotia.  Military style assault weapons and body armor do not play well here.  The disclosures about the massive funds coming from the US have also taken a real toll.  People here are very sensitive about any suggestion that Americans are interfering with Canadian politics.

mtierney said:

The spin never stops..

Not true. Sometimes days go by without you posting something.

GoSlugs, remember, a good number of those ‘foreign’ supporters are not from northern America - see my earlier post re Australian donors who were hacked after donating. 

mtierney said:

The spin never stops..

Pure right -wing spin right there.

nohero said:

Pure right -wing spin right there.

DJ Troll

ml1 said:

RealityForAll said:

GoSlugs said:

Nearly Half (46%) of Canadians Say they “May Not Agree with Everything” Trucker Convoy Says or Does, But ... Sympathy for Convoy Rises to 61% among Canadians aged 18-34 [emphasis added=. Nearly Four in Ten Canadians Agree with a Lot of What Trucker Protests are Fighting For, Even if they Might Not Say it Publicly.  See:  https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-polls/nearly-half-say-they-may-not-agree-with-trucker-convoyd

Apparently 61% of 18 to 34 year olds support the truckers two weeks ago. Even if support went down since then, the poll illustrates that the truckers enjoy significant support among the 18 to 34 cohort.  Which is contrary to your POV: most/many Canadians detest the truckers.  IOW, you appear to be living in a bad=trucker bubble regarding Canadian opinion on the truckers.

PS:  I wish another poll could be done on this issue.  Unfortunately, I do not have control over the frequency of such polls.

RealityForAll said:

Apparently 61% of 18 to 34 year olds support the truckers two weeks ago. Even if support went down since then, the poll illustrates that the truckers enjoy significant support among the 18 to 34 cohort.  Which is contrary to your POV: most/many Canadians detest the truckers.  IOW, you appear to be living in a bad=trucker bubble regarding Canadian opinion on the truckers.

PS:  I wish another poll could be done on this issue.  Unfortunately, I do not have control over the frequency of such polls.

no, I'm living in a place where I appreciate more up to date information when significant events have intervened in the past couple of weeks. 

RealityForAll said:

how is the fact that 61% of a single demographic are favorable to the truckers "contrary to your POV: most/many Canadians detest the truckers"?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/politics/fact-check-canadian-protests-polls-trudeau-support-oppose-truckers-mandates/index.html

drummerboy said:

how is the fact that 61% of a single demographic are favorable to the truckers "contrary to your POV: most/many Canadians detest the truckers"?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/15/politics/fact-check-canadian-protests-polls-trudeau-support-oppose-truckers-mandates/index.html

oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh 

Stick a fork in that turkey, he's done!

GoSlugs said:

drummerboy said:

oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh
oh oh

Stick a fork in that turkey, he's done!

unfortunately, he's like the energizer bunny

drummerboy said:

he’s unreal…

I have a lot of family in Canada, and from what they’re saying, most Canadians are pissed off because Americans are meddling in their affairs. 

Reality denial is a way of life for conservatives.  Then they act all wounded when no one believes them.

Jaytee said:

drummerboy said:

he’s unreal…

I have a lot of family in Canada, and from what they’re saying, most Canadians are pissed off because Americans are meddling in their affairs. 

RFA to you. 

Similarly, I have lots of family in Canada.  And, my family is saying the opposite of what you are saying (namely, you, Jaytee, allege that  US citizens are meddling in Canada's affairs).  Please provide proof that US citizens are meddling in Canada's affairs.  

Also, let us all know what constitutes "meddling" in this instance.

============================================

Bonus question:

Jaytee, let all know your best guess at the number of those US-citizen-meddlers.  

A.  a carful.

B.  a truck-full

C.  more than "B" but enough that I can count them US meddlers on my fingers and toes.

D.  all of the above.

E.  none of the above.

RealityForAll said:

RFA to you. 

Similarly, I have ....

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!