Winter Storm Wednesday 3/7

foxychica said:

From Maplewood Township website posted last night about 9:30:

Jitney services have been cancelled for the morning.  Evening services will be decided tomorrow.  Updates to follow

Thanks Foxychica, I should have mentioned I’m in SO, hoping to catch a bus in since no trains. I’m presuming it’s the same situation here for SO jitney 

Just got this alert from NJT:

Morris and Essex, Gladstone and Montclair-Boonton Line service remains suspended due to overhead wire problems.

Any body used Northfield Ave headed west towards Livingston this morning?

Is it clear of downed trees?

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

What are the options to get into the city? The NJT website is not proving very helpful.

WxNut2.0 said:

One or two more. The pattern looks conducive. Fwiw, this pattern has been forecast incredibly well, we kinda had a hunch these storms were coming about a month ago. 

WxNut2.0 said:

I’d put money on one or two more of these at least threatening the area in the next two weeks. Winter is coming. Again. 

Are you freaking kidding me?! Two or more of these!? Oy!

My birthday is the Ides of March. My mom (boy I still miss her) would tell me that when she'd plan my little birthday parties to be held in the basement party room of our garden apartment development she'd always add a snow date to the invitation. It seems that this year March is behaving like the old March in spite of real climate change (or because of it for that matter).

Thanks for everything WxNut and Max! 

cberry7 said:

What are the options to get into the city? The NJT website is not proving very helpful.

I don't know specifics but there is a bus from SO Train Station that starts the process of getting to NYC.  Don't know if it takes you to Newark Penn or Port Authority...

-Ron Carter

78 westbound until Exit 36 is bad with a lot of ice-covered stretches and occasional disabled vehicles.

rcarter31 said:

cberry7 said:

I don't know specifics but there is a bus from SO Train Station that starts the process of getting to NYC.  Don't know if it takes you to Newark Penn or Port Authority...

-Ron Carter

I took this morning 6:30 , no traffic took an hour last stop Port Authority, we didn't stop at Newark Penn, it was an express #107

I think the Maplewood dpw needs some serious help. The roads in South Orange, and Vauxhall are well cleared and passable. In Mwd many many roads are a mess with thick packed snow on the surface. 

Morrow Church on Ridgewood Road and Baker Street is open for anyone who needs a place to stay warm or recharge.  Bring food and or drink to share if you like. Volunteers welcome.  Enter at the Baker street ramp.

Town Hall Open for warming and cell phone charging.  Community Center at Dehart Park open.  

In case of internet loss for those working from home do you happen to know if either Town Hall or Morrow Church has internet access in addition to heat and power?

I heard S.O. library is opening at 11. Not sure about Maplewood library. They are not answering phones yet and perhaps will either not open or will open later like S.O. Anyone know?

Maplewood library is supposed to open at noon, along with the township offices. 

mwoodmom said:

Maplewood library is supposed to open at noon, along with the township offices. 

Good to know. Thanks for the update mwoodmom!

anyone know if the town is picking up downed branches put out on the side of the street? couldn't find anything on the town website.

rcarter31 said:

cberry7 said:

-Ron Carter

107 to Port Authority Bus Terminal.  Several neighbors went in that way this morning.

luigi said:

I think the Maplewood dpw needs some serious help. The roads in South Orange, and Vauxhall are well cleared and passable. In Mwd many many roads are a mess with thick packed snow on the surface. 

Large clumps of ice are still dropping from the trees, falling into the roadway and making it icy again even after the road is cleared by plow.  Be careful out there.

While walking dog this morning I saw a DPW employee clearing sidewalks at the Burgdorff Center.  I know these guys and gals have a huge job after this storm but couldn’t help but wonder how this was a priority with the streets that need to be cleared. Oh well. 

joan_crystal said:

luigi said:

Large clumps of ice are still dropping from the trees, falling into the roadway and making it icy again even after the road is cleared by plow.  Be careful out there.

HudsonBlue said:

While walking dog this morning I saw a DPW employee clearing sidewalks at the Burgdorff Center.  I know these guys and gals have a huge job after this storm but couldn’t help but wonder how this was a priority with the streets that need to be cleared. Oh well. 
joan_crystal said:

luigi said:

Because the Burgdorff is town property and if anyone slips and breaks their neck on it the town would be liable?

I know it is tough, but patience is needed probably for days or more. This is going to be a massive cleanup and unless you are Harry Potter it is going to take tedious time to work through it all. 

As always some will be lucky and early and some will not be. 

luigi said:

Some roads can't be plowed due to downed power lines and/or trees.  I'm sure that DPW is working as hard as they can.  Not sure where help would come from since surrounding areas have similar problems.  

sasquatch2 said:

anyone know if the town is picking up downed branches put out on the side of the street? couldn't find anything on the town website.

They will - my guess is that they probably won't make the round until next week.  They picked up large branches from the previous storm on my street on Tuesday.

are trains running into NY Penn from Secaucus?  The NJ website is not running properly. 

wendy said:

In case of internet loss for those working from home do you happen to know if either Town Hall or Morrow Church has internet access in addition to heat and power?

I can't say absolutely, but I know that Morrow usually has WiFi available when they have opened in the past.

Wondering about roads.  I'm concerned that it might be more dangerous to walk my dog around neighborhood, with dense heavy chunks of snow continuing to fall off tall trees, than to drive him to dog park.  Maybe Echo Lake, which is wide open and only has trees on the perimeter outside the fence.

Thanks sac! I am just checking for contingencies but so far so good here.

bub said:

Wondering about roads.  I'm concerned that it might be more dangerous to walk my dog around neighborhood, with dense heavy chunks of snow continuing to fall off tall trees, than to drive him to dog park.  Maybe Echo Lake, which is wide open and only has trees on the perimeter outside the fence.

There may well be heavy chunks falling at the dog park (?)

Oops - missed your comment about Echo Lake.  I was thinking about Reservation dog park.  

I haven't decided about where/when to walk mine yet.

max_weisenfeld said:

Total snow in eastern Maplewood 7.5"

Melted down to 1.5" water for a 5.4:1 ratio.

Temps never really gpt below freezing, causing very dense snow here.  This would be 15" if it had been 2° colder.

I assume that if it had been 2 degrees colder we may not have had the extent of the damage our town and surroundings are now seeing. More snow but less damage, yes?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.