Police Officer Punches Woman While Arresting Her

kmt said:

drummerboy said:

tom said:
If towns stop hiring cops with psychological problems it will be money well spent.
 Unfortunately, simply wanting to be a cop is often indicative of having a psychological problem.
 Citation needed

Somehow I doubt there are studies for this. It's just a logical conclusion of mine. See my last post. If you want to argue that my reasoning is wrong, fine, have at it.

drummerboy said:

oh look!

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/people-who-become-cops-tend-have-authoritarian-personality-characteristics

I looked. The paper that the linked article relies on is 46 years old and uses research that’s even older, and it states, “Unfortunately, only one firm conclusion can be drawn from this review: The evidence is inconclusive.” It goes on to say: “The controversy over the police mentality will probably persist for some time to come. There is simply not enough good evidence to support or refute any side of the controversy.”

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

oh look!

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/people-who-become-cops-tend-have-authoritarian-personality-characteristics
I looked. The paper that the linked article relies on is 46 years old and uses research that’s even older, and it states, “Unfortunately, only one firm conclusion can be drawn from this review: The evidence is inconclusive.” It goes on to say: “The controversy over the police mentality will probably persist for some time to come. There is simply not enough good evidence to support or refute any side of the controversy.”

picky picky

drummerboy said:

picky picky

Please don’t throw careless crap against the wall. Thank you.

Throwing careless crap against the wall is the heart and soul of the internet.

tom said:
Throwing careless crap against the wall is the heart and soul of the internet.

This should be a meme.

DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

picky picky
Please don’t throw careless crap against the wall. Thank you.

It wasn't that careless - it showed that there is research out there on the subject. That's not the only study out there. If one were to assume that my post is the definitive word on the subject - that would be careless.

the real problem is that even if police departments have the same % of authoritarian personalities as every other profession, those individuals can make life miserable for civilians.  If you give an authoritarian real power and he/she decides to wield it arbitrarily, you end up with potential for misconduct. That's why codes of conduct are important, and why wrongdoing in police departments needs to be investigated in a transparent manner.

ml1 said:
the real problem is that even if police departments have the same % of authoritarian personalities as every other profession, those individuals can make life miserable for civilians.  If you give an authoritarian real power and he/she decides to wield it arbitrarily, you end up with potential for misconduct. That's why codes of conduct are important, and why wrongdoing in police departments needs to be investigated in a transparent manner.

I was thinking along similar lines. If anything, law enforcement agencies need to have stringent controls to make sure as few of these types of personalities are picked as possible.

The power to arrest, detain and fire a gun whenever you pretty much damn well please (yes, I overstated) are awesome responsibilities and you need certain types of people to make sure they're not abused.

The fact that LE groups across the country came out in support of Trump leads me to believe the opposite is happening.

Formerlyjerseyjack,

We're gonna have to agree to disagree.

TomR

Tom_R said:
Formerlyjerseyjack,
We're gonna have to agree to disagree.
TomR

I guess that's what makes a horse race.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.