Poldark on PBS 2015

In this interpretation, I'm enjoying the portrayal of the class shift more than I did in Ellis version. It's more subtly shown here, yet we've all noticed and commented on it: Ross wanting less class division, more of a meritocracy; George wanting to be accepted as Ross' equal because he's earned the right and yet not understanding that it's his very values that are the block not his roots. All this was present in the other version but in this version we see a sigh or a blink, or hear a 'yeah right' doubting tone; previously there was more overacting.

I think that's also why I like this Elizabeth more. I find her more believable.

I'm not sure if the storyline of Karen and Ennis is treated properly this time; he seems to just glide through it all. I thought in the books he was just as eager as Karen (or was it someone else after her?) for an active dalliance.

Peggy, what I meant earlier was that the different classes attended, danced and spoke, but seem to have 'hung out' in different areas of the venues. I was reading an account (somebody's diary, but I can't remember the source now) that described the areas for dancing [everyone], a garden terrace area [gentry], another garden area [townsfolk], dining room with buffet [townsfolk], dining rooms with staff [gentry]. Butler and grooms cordially reminded nongentry around 10or 11pm that time for returning home was approaching, they had a fair walk ahead of them.

joanne said:
Peggy, what I meant earlier was that the different classes attended, danced and spoke, but seem to have 'hung out' in different areas of the venues. I was reading an account (somebody's diary, but I can't remember the source now) that described the areas for dancing [everyone], a garden terrace area [gentry], another garden area [townsfolk], dining room with buffet [townsfolk], dining rooms with staff [gentry]. Butler and grooms cordially reminded nongentry around 10or 11pm that time for returning home was approaching, they had a fair walk ahead of them.

Yes, I'm aware. But it's interesting to notice how different authors handle this topic. If you read Howards End by EM Forster, the scene at the wedding reception for Margaret and Henry is hair-raising. When Leonard and Jackie show up, the way they are handled is absolutely classic.

Haven't read that. Should! smile

Just watched the two hour finale and it was excellent.

mlj said:
Just watched the two hour finale and it was excellent.

Yes, it was just so miserably sad, as stories go.

Having read all the books, I have a pretty good idea what's coming LOL

Hoping to watch it tomorrow..too much work today!

I made the hideous mistake of looking up something I was confused about, and I stumbled on a boatload of spoilers. Now I know WAY too much, and I'm pretty unhappy about it. LOL

Can I lend you my forgetfulness?? I'm very eager to be rid of it! smile

Nuh-uh. My forgetfulness is very selective. It only does whatever is least convenient, but I assure you it will cling to every unfortunate detail of what I learned yesterday. surprised

Sounds like my work computer, on Thursday!! oh oh

feeling sort of lazy, so I'll ask here instead of trying to look it up: does anyone know when the next series will start?

and PeggyC, sorry for your spoiler distress, but your post made me smile ("a good thing")

PBS emails only say next year so I'm assuming it will run around the same time period as the first season did.

Downton Abbey starts in January.

Thanks, JLJohn. Since technically next year starts in just 5 months, I'll get my hopes up, even if in vain. I really hated their leaving us with a cliffhanger.

Who is watching Victoria on PBS? Rufus Sewell is absolutely dreamy.

I am watching. Very well done.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.