Offensive anti Christian bumper sticker

GGartrell said:

Plenty of conflicting stuff in the Bible that makes literal interpretation difficult. Don't want to piss anyone off by listing the passages (Google if you like) but there is plenty in there that if taken literally would suggest that God isn't 100% against abortion. At least not in all cases. Of course thats just my opinion.  

Exactly. What I learned from that debate is that you can find a passage in the Bible to pretty much justify any position you choose. It is all subject to interpretation. So when I come across someone who uses the Bible to justify their position, the easiest way to counter them is by also using the Bible. It works every time. 

Sorry about the thread drift.  

I don't think the bumper sticker was intended to be offensive, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way.  But a significant number of religious people, especially the fundamentalist variety, have to ask themselves why it is that so many people find their beliefs so repugnant.  The incessant judging of others, the bullying and bigotry, the manipulative behavior, the hateful language, the idea that their special god has chosen them to police the beliefs and lifestyles of others. It's been going on for centuries, of course, and fortunately we've come a long way since the 15th Century.

The majority of Christians don't spend their lives judging and condemning others.  And their faith is a force for good in the world. But enough of them are so hung up on controlling the behavior of others that I don't think we should feel sorry for them when someone puts a sarcastic sticker on a car.

"But enough of them are so hung up on controlling the behavior of others that I don't think we should feel sorry for them when someone puts a sarcastic sticker on a car."

To bad you can't tell this to the Muslims that are beheading & slaughtering people because of a so called movie.

maresleg said:

To bad you can't tell this to the Muslims that are beheading & slaughtering people because of a so called movie.

It shows that excessive zeal comes in all religions. So? Are you picking on Muslims?

Now we've come full circle.

Tom_Reingold said:

maresleg said:

It shows that excessive zeal comes in all religions. So? Are you picking on Muslims?

I'm just saying that everyone seems to think that anything to do with someone's belief of the Christian faith should get over any kind of remark made against them. Maybe the others should get over it. The stickers motive offended mcgoey and some others on here as well as myself and that's our opinion. You have an opinion too don't you Tom. You do know what they say about opinions right? I was just stating that at least here you can still have "your" opinion and not be beheaded, shot, burned or thrown overboard because of it.

It's an interesting bumper sticker.  I think the more likely you are to find it insulting, the more likely you are exactly the type of person the bumper sticker is referring to. 

I don't exempt any religion with my remarks. Killing and hating in the name of one's "god" (and there are thousands of them, of course) is deplorable. Until the 16th century, Christians were doing to native Americans what Islamic fanatics are doing today.  And not that long ago, "god" was on the side of the south during the civil war.

In the 21st century, does anyone believe religion has any place whatsoever in democratic government?

And let's not forget The Crusades while we're at it...

Worth repeating.

sprout said:

From dictionary.com

Curb: Anything that restrains or controls; a restraint; check.

Speaking of offended, some might consider your thread title offensive. I didn't know that God belonged to the Christians.
Seriously, I've been devoutly Christian most of my life, but now that I'm an atheist, I see how annoying the constant assertion (by some) we should all pray and praise God can be to other people. Not saying people shouldn't proclaim whatever they want, but have a little sensitivity and you'll understand the bumper sticker as it was intended. (And, no, it's not my bumper sticker. I don't do bumper stickers.)

As stated above, the bumper sticker had a cross. God doesn't belong only to Christians but the cross symbol does, as far as I know.

And our Christian God belongs to many I don't happen to agree with. That is why I consider this bumper sticker was not directed at me.

maresleg said:

Tom_Reingold said:

maresleg said:

I'm just saying that everyone seems to think that anything to do with someone's belief of the Christian faith should get over any kind of remark made against them. Maybe the others should get over it. The stickers motive offended mcgoey and some others on here as well as myself and that's our opinion. You have an opinion too don't you Tom. You do know what they say about opinions right? I was just stating that at least here you can still have "your" opinion and not be beheaded, shot, burned or thrown overboard because of it.

Maresleg,

I'm having trouble interpreting the meaning of the suggestion behind your statement. Are you suggesting that people shouldn't offend religions, whether it is Islam or Christianity?  

Or are you suggesting that if people offend religions, the religious should get over it, whether Muslim or Christian?

My opinion is that the religious could look at what they find offensive and choose to agree or not. I choose not to agree with anything said offensively about my beliefs. They are mine. I honestly don't choose to care what anyone else thinks.    grin

It is not a matter of getting over it. I never made an agreement in the first place to be offended. It is more as jersey boy says, thanks for letting me know. My God is my God and I consult often. We are not offended.

TarheelsInNj said:

As stated above, the bumper sticker had a cross. God doesn't belong only to Christians but the cross symbol does, as far as I know.

That's a fair point. Still, the remainder of my post stands. I would hope the response to that bumper sticker would be a higher level of thoughtfulness, not offense.

So true tigerLily. I agree.

Curb your dogma 

is funnier.

dave said:

Curb your dogma 

is funnier.

Definitely!  And I don't find that offensive at all (unlike the original one.)  And, in response to an earlier post that I've now lost track of, I am definitely not the kind of Christian that the bumper sticker is talking about and I'm pretty sure there are a few people here who know me IRL and could vouch for me on that point. I suspect the same is true of the vast majority of M/SO Christians.  Sadly, that is not the case everywhere.

Yes!  Curb your Dogma  oh oh

But not as insulting...

dave said:

Curb your dogma 

is funnier.

Definitely funnier but not the same punch to it. 

Here is my car decal.  I don't think many would find it offensive, but if they do.....good.

sac said:

dave said:

Curb your dogma 

is funnier.

Definitely! 

I agree, because we ALL have dogmas.

ligeti, religion definitely has a place in society. But religion needs to stay out of government policy. That much, I am sure of. Many religious congregations address themselves to make the world a better place, through charity, outreach, and all sorts of compassionate programs.

maresleg, it is indeed good that we're not so violent about our differences, most of the time. It is something to be grateful for. An anti-religious-zeal bumper sticker is a heck of a lot better than violence.

I'm 100% with you Tom.  Religion can be expressed as a Constitutional right, in one's personal life or in humanitarian endeavors. But none of the thousands of gods going around should ever get near government policy, public schools, the judicial system, law enforcement, congress, or the white house. Even though fundamentalists (and Fox news) regularly argue America is a Christian country, and that their all-powerful god is calling the shots.  

For centuries, Christians made the rules and sailed around the world to rob and slaughter the unsaved. Sure, that's over now. We need to remind ourselves about that. But present day wacko mystics who demand we obey god's word are holdovers from earlier times when religion and government were the same thing (as it is now in many parts of the Middle East).

I'm reading the biography of Alexander Hamilton (the one the hot play is based on), and lots of founding fathers got it right with keeping religion out.

LOVE !!!!

ETA: was trying to quote /comment on bigpoppa's car decal.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.