The George Floyd effect. Monuments down. MS flag gone. Worldwide protests. Police more violent than protestors.

Police are a vital necessity in our troubled cities — to think, or believe, otherwise is a win for lawlessness. Partisan politics rules the day. 

mtierney said:

Police are a vital necessity in our troubled cities — to think, or believe, otherwise is a win for lawlessness. Partisan politics rules the day. 

and which party is the one trying to kill police reform?  Republicans.

Did you misunderstand the cartoon, or have you finally come around to realizing it's your party that is primarily responsible for partisan obstruction?

Normal People: "We need police reform, so that the police deal with crime and not with other social issues, and so that excessive force isn't used."

Republicans: "YOU'RE TRYING TO ELIMINATE THE POLICE AND LET THE CRIMINALS RAPE AND PILLAGE!!!!!!"

I have pointed out the gross habit some posters are now desperately using in extremis perhaps?

Making up fake quotes And attributing it to another poster.

Bad form

Speaking of Washington, here is something I read about recently. 

https://boingboing.net/2020/07/06/that-time-george-washington-or.html

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, the reality of cutting budgets in the Minneapolis PD gets messy....

https://www.startribune.com/cost-of-deep-police-cutbacks-comes-into-sharp-view/571730462/

an article based on anonymous police sources. 

Basically pro-cop propaganda. 

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, the reality of cutting budgets in the Minneapolis PD gets messy....

https://www.startribune.com/cost-of-deep-police-cutbacks-comes-into-sharp-view/571730462/

Yes -- It's messy because (as the article states) they are in a budget crisis due to Covid-19. Anything is easier to be thoughtful about when finances are not an issue.

ml1 said:

an article based on anonymous police sources. 

Basically pro-cop propaganda. 

Aren’t all news stories “propaganda”? Telling a version or account of a happening which works better for a narrative fit to print for a readership, rather than bothering with telling the full story? The assumption being that the general procurer, who devourers the news of the day, is as dumb as a rock? 

An officer speaking off the record (anonymously) is kind of a whistle-blower — afraid of punitive pushback from bosses.   Reasonable fear, I believe.

mtierney said:

Aren’t all news stories “propaganda”? Telling a version or account of a happening which works better for a narrative fit to print for a readership, rather than bothering with telling the full story? The assumption being that the general procurer, who devourers the news of the day, is as dumb as a rock? 

An officer speaking off the record (anonymously) is kind of a whistle-blower — afraid of punitive pushback from bosses.   Reasonable fear, I believe.

why would that person be afraid of pushback when he/she is promoting a narrative the cop brass would love?  the anonymous source is trying to scare people about potential budget cuts.  The person isn't a whistle blower.  More of a pro-MPD shill.

mtierney said:

Aren’t all news stories “propaganda”?

No.

mtierney said:

I left out drag racing from my list of infractions....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/12/nyregion/brooklyn-car-crash-bennett-field.html

and how exactly would traffic stops have prevented this?

mtierney said: The assumption being that the general procurer, who devourers the news of the day, is as dumb as a rock? 

Red_Barchetta said:

mtierney said: The assumption being that the general procurer, who devourers the news of the day, is as dumb as a rock? 

she nailed that one.

drummerboy said:

Red_Barchetta said:

she nailed that one.

Yes, I wish Biden was eloquent like that

beyond the actual police violence, there is the harassment and arresting of journalists, which is kind of running under the radar.

can you believe this?

drummerboy said:

can you believe this?

Wait. Is this Russia? Or some other banana republic?

I think everyone should walk around with this cue'd up.  You know, just in case.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.