Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

ml1 said:

then there's the highest HR Pete has hit, which was in the air for 7.3 seconds.

https://www.mlb.com/news/pete-alonso-hits-unique-home-run-vs-rockies

I don't know why they designed it to be so confusing as to whether it's a HR or not. It happened just last night on Pete's HR.

jfinnegan said:

I don't know why they designed it to be so confusing as to whether it's a HR or not. It happened just last night on Pete's HR.

I think it's a remnant of the terrible original design of the OF walls (another stupid Wilpon decision). When they moved the walls in, the old wall is still there behind the current. And when balls hit against the old wall, it's sometimes hard to tell that it was above the HR line.

At least we have replay to get it right. And maybe it's a bit of a home field advantage. Mets players should know to run hard on the bases until someone definitively calls it a HR.

ml1 said:

I think it's a remnant of the terrible original design of the OF walls (another stupid Wilpon decision). When they moved the walls in, the old wall is still there behind the current. And when balls hit against the old wall, it's sometimes hard to tell that it was above the HR line.

At least we have replay to get it right. And maybe it's a bit of a home field advantage. Mets players should know to run hard on the bases until someone definitively calls it a HR.

What is the purpose of the orange line? I thought if the ball hit it it was a HR, but sadly I now know it isn't. 

jfinnegan said:

What is the purpose of the orange line? I thought if the ball hit it it was a HR, but sadly I now know it isn't. 

my understanding is that it has to hit above the orange line (although if it hits the line and bounces over, it's a HR).

ml1 said:

my understanding is that it has to hit above the orange line (although if it hits the line and bounces over, it's a HR).

it has to hit over, which is why I'm wondering what the point of it is unless it's just for aesthetics. Nimmo hit it a month or so ago and it came back into play. That's how I found out it isn't a HR. 

It was nice seeing Wright back last night. He seemed angry the walls weren't the current distance when he played. That cost him a lot of HRs.

Winning streak. Let's goooooooo!!!

Train_of_Thought said:

Winning streak. Let's goooooooo!!!

No biggie. Was literally one bad inning. Okay, so it was one REALLY BAD inning, but still.  grin

Didn't watch, but 91 pitches through 3 2/3 for Peterson?

I'm headed to today's game. Hoping for good Megill 

ml1 said:

I'm headed to today's game. Hoping for good Megill 

Please make sure you root for you-know-who when he comes out of the Bucs pen.

Train_of_Thought said:

Please make sure you root for you-know-who when he comes out of the Bucs pen.

question

If you want a good laugh take a look at various team's FB groups.  I get that Met fans are unhappy, but reading about Braves or Dodgers fans ready to cut people or fire managers after a loss is funny.

Mets against Waino tonight. He of the 8.78 ERA.  Battle of the most disappointing teams in the league. 

At least they might be fun games between evenly matched teams

I don't gamble very much but I did bet that Pete Alonso was going to hit a home run off of Adam Wainwright.  Easy money!

I can honestly say that top to bottom the Yankees are more pathetic than the Mets.

Predictions for the Atlanta series?

Go!

Three losses. It's just reality.  Winning against Pittsburgh and St. Louis is not the same as beating the best team in baseball.

DanDietrich said:

Three losses. It's just reality.  Winning against Pittsburgh and St. Louis is not the same as beating the best team in baseball.

0-3 Sadly Predictable

1-2 Modicum of hope

2-1 Reason To Believe

3-0 Ya Gotta Believe! 

I'm pragmatic.  A big fan, but pragmatic.

DanDietrich said:

I'm pragmatic.  A big fan, but pragmatic.

I respect that.

If Senga was pitching one of the three games I'd be more hopeful of taking one. 

Soul_29 said:

DanDietrich said:

0-3 Sadly Predictable

1-2 Modicum of hope

2-1 Reason To Believe

3-0 Ya Gotta Believe! 

A modicum of hope this morning. 

Nice win last night. Lindor's HR was huge and gave the Mets a nice cushion. Braves line-up if just scary good. 

I was pleasantly surprised.  I hope they continue to make my predictions look bad.

at least we're likely to see guys playing hard the rest of the way. The only ones signed long-term at this point are Senga, Nimmo, McNeil and Lindor. And all of them are guys who give max effort. Pretty much the rest of the roster are playing for jobs in '24 or contract extensions, either in NY or elsewhere.

Sometimes I think Alonso has an off switch.  He's gone back to swinging at garbage.

Retiring numbers is usually a gimmick for when a team has nothing else going for it. 

I'm also not sure that I like it.  Neither guy had a HOF career, or spent all of it or almost all of it with the Mets. I felt the same way about Hernandez.  

Train_of_Thought said:

16 and 18.

Lifelong Mets fan. Doc and Straw were absolute studs and I have a soft spot for both. But, no, don't love this. I'm not a huge fan of retiring numbers in general. Truthfully, I think 14 and 41 are the only two that ought to be retired. 

Retiring numbers is gimmicky. I don't love it.  

No. 14 (Gil Hodges, 1973) - Led them to their first World Championship. Legendary Brooklynn Dodger, which matters to Mets mythology. 

No. 17 (Keith Hernandez, 2022) - The heart, soul, and leader of the '86 team. I can live with this one. 

No. 24 (Willie Mays, 2022) - No, no, no. Willie Mays is the greatest baseball player ever, but not while he was a Met. Nope. 

No. 31 (Mike Piazza, 2016) - No. We didn't win a WC with him. No MVP with the Mets. More years with other teams. 

No. 36 (Jerry Koosman, 2021) - Great pitcher. Nod to '69 WC. Nice man. I don't love it, but OK. 

No. 37 (Casey Stengel, 1965) - No. Hiring Casey as their first manager made it official that they were a clown show in the early years. 175/404 record. Enough said. Nope. 

No. 41 (Tom Seaver, 1988). YES.

Jackie Robinson's No. 42 was retired throughout MLB in 1997 - I LOVE that MLB did this!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.