Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

They have 11 runs and are trying to lose.

I almost don't want them to make any trades, because whatever Eppler gets back is going to be junk anyway. He can't use Gott. He has to use the same 3 guys every game and sometimes Hartwig does well.

Michael Kay, Brian Cashboy and Coach Happy Go Lucky for Keith Hernandez and a sack of White Castles.

I don't understand Carrasco.  I'm generally a fan of him as a 5th starter.  He has good innings.  And then he's given a six run lead and can't throw strikes unless they are right down the middle.

Jeff McNeil is looking like Daniel Murphy's outfield blooper reel. I realize with Marte down, kinda no choice, but boy I feel bad for him when he's out there and not at 2B.

He's good in left field.  I'm not sure how much right field he played before today.  But again, lack of hitting did them in.

Alonso should probably be on the IL. Give him a day off at least. I guess they can't when they have two guys on the roster that can't play a position.

4 homers for Scherzer already.

I can't figure out why after watching this team since the All Star Break the management still seems to think they have a shot at the playoffs. I suppose if every team ahead of them plays and loses all their games against AL teams then they might have a shot. Otherwise winning 1 of 3 games against bad teams isn't going to cut it.

jfinnegan said:

I can't figure out why after watching this team since the All Star Break the management still seems to think they have a shot at the playoffs. I suppose if every team ahead of them plays and loses all their games against AL teams then they might have a shot. Otherwise winning 1 of 3 games against bad teams isn't going to cut it.

It's over for this season. It's been over for a while. 

8th place in the NL wild card standings. They need 4 other teams to collapse while they go on a run.

The Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Giants are all tied at 54-47, a winning percentage of .535.

Assume the Mets need to reach .535 by the end of the seaon. They need to go 41-22 the rest of the way.

Time to retool.  Not tear it all down, but fix things for next year.

So who do they go after? Ohtani? Is Juan Soto a free agent? They better stock up on relievers and get a real DH.  

They need to see if the kids can play before they target free agents in the off season.  For now, trade spare parts for any and all pitching prospects.

Well, they got half of my message.  Robertson traded to Miami for two good young prospects, just not pitchers.

DanDietrich said:

Well, they got half of my message.  Robertson traded to Miami for two good young prospects, just not pitchers.

And the Marlins are known for developing pitching. Why not try to get a pitcher from them?

It was interesting hearing Kranepool last night talking about the lack of leadership on the current team and then throwing shade at Yogi for the way he handled Games 6 and 7 of the '73 World Series.

jfinnegan said:

DanDietrich said:

And the Marlins are known for developing pitching. Why not try to get a pitcher from them?

It was interesting hearing Kranepool last night talking about the lack of leadership on the current team and then throwing shade at Yogi for the way he handled Games 6 and 7 of the '73 World Series.

I always hate when people who aren't on the inside complain about a lack of leadership or "chemistry." What does Ed Kranepool know about what goes on in that locker room?

the complaints about Yogi in '73 are pretty common though. I guess it's easy to second guess now, but at the time it seemed like trying to end the series in Game 6 with your ace wasn't a bad strategy.

ml1 said:

I always hate when people who aren't on the inside complain about a lack of leadership or "chemistry." What does Ed Kranepool know about what goes on in that locker room?

the complaints about Yogi in '73 are pretty common though. I guess it's easy to second guess now, but at the time it seemed like trying to end the series in Game 6 with your ace wasn't a bad strategy.

Everybody on the team seems to get along, but who do you think is a leader on the team? Definitely not LIndor though it should be after the contract they gave him. Pete's too goofy, McNeil is annoying. Who else? Nimmo? The only guy I see having a shot at being a leader is Alvarez and he's too young.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

Everybody on the team seems to get along, but who do you think is a leader on the team? Definitely not LIndor though it should be after the contract they gave him. Pete's too goofy, McNeil is annoying. Who else? Nimmo? The only guy I see having a shot at being a leader is Alvarez and he's too young.

I don't think any team needs one leader. But from my POV it looks like Lindor is a leader, and among the pitchers it's Scherzer. I think some of the veterans like Pham also lead by example.

If we're going to be honest about how this season has gone, do we really think more "leadership" would have resulted in starters going more than five innings? Would McNeil be hitting .320 if there was more leadership? Would Marte have duplicated his All-Star season if there was better "chemistry"? 

I think the clear answer to all those questions is an unequivocal "no." 

Sometimes the answer is really simple -- they need to pitch better and hit better.

ml1 said:

I don't think any team needs one leader. But from my POV it looks like Lindor is a leader, and among the pitchers it's Scherzer. I think some of the veterans like Pham also lead by example.

If we're going to be honest about how this season has gone, do we really think more "leadership" would have resulted in starters going more than five innings? Would McNeil be hitting .320 if there was more leadership? Would Marte have duplicated his All-Star season if there was better "chemistry"? 

I think the clear answer to all those questions is an unequivocal "no." 

Sometimes the answer is really simple -- they need to pitch better and hit better.

I agree with that, but I do think leadership is important. They make poor fundamental plays practically every game. If Lindor was a leader he wouldn't have promised McNeil a car and then make a joke of it for an entire year. Leaders don't do that.

on another note, I have an extra ticket for tonight's game I can't use. DM me if you'd like it, and I'll email it to you. The downside is when you get there, you'll be sitting next to me grin

ml1 said:

on another note, I have an extra ticket for tonight's game I can't use. DM me if you'd like it, and I'll email it to you. The downside is when you get there, you'll be sitting next to me
grin

Enjoy! Good pitching matchup. Hopefully the Mets can hit a lefty for once.

Max gone to Texas. We're probably getting deGrom back.

Pending his approval.  He has a no trade clause.

He approved the trade. 

Mets get Luisangel Acuña. 

Seems like the Mets made a great trade.  39-year-old with a 4.0 ERA who gives up HRs for a top 50 prospect. 

Yes.  I agree. The Mets sent some money, but who cares about that.  Keep bringing prospects in.

jeffl said:

Seems like the Mets made a great trade.  39-year-old with a 4.0 ERA who gives up HRs for a top 50 prospect. 

Big fan of the Mets Fix newsletter. They do a really excellent job analyzing the Scherzer trade. 

Some takeaways: 

Luisangel Acuña immediately becomes one of the best prospects in the Mets’ system. Sam Dykstra of MLB Pipeline feels comfortable he will rank No. 1 when they rerank the system in August, so does Mets prospect guru Joe DeMayo.

When you consider that Acuña could also serve as a future trade chip, it’s almost impossible to believe the Mets won’t end up with positive value from this trade. Scherzer’s value means little to them over the next few months, and it’s reasonable to expect he will continue to decline in his age-40 season in 2024. If Cohen is willing to reinvest the $22 million he saves by trading Scherzer instead of keeping him, there are avenues to find an improvement over Scherzer in 2024, while gaining a quality future asset.

Ya Gotta Believe!

jeffl said:

I'd add that Scherzer never really showed up in a big spot for the Mets. Last year, he spit the bit against Atlanta in the last week of the season when all they needed was a win and he sucked against SD when we needed him. He'll be another year older next year (you can look it up!), so, yes, great trade. Time to move one. 

PS. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he met with Uncle Steve and the brass. 

Soul_29 said:

I'd add that Scherzer never really showed up in a big spot for the Mets. He spit the bit against Atlanta in the last week of the season when all they needed was a win and he sucked against SD when we needed him. He'll be another year older next year (you can look it up!), so, yes, great trade. Time to move one. 

PS. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when he met with Uncle Steve and the brass. 

I wonder if Max understands the irony of the Mets becoming sellers when his own mediocrity (as the highest paid player in baseball) led to them becoming sellers.

I think he did. He said as much in one news conference .  He's experienced, and a player rep, so the business side of things would not be foreign.  And I don't sense any animosity or real anger aimed at management.  He just wants to win right now.  I agree, though, that he is past his prime.  Consistency seems to elude him.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!