Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Fair enough. I just don’t want to see another worst team money could buy. I know it’s not the same thing and the Cohen Mets aren’t signing a bunch of guys with their best years behind them. I just worry that when you commit that much cash you’d better hope it pays off because you’re kinda stuck with the guys for a few years. Hard to get rid of huge contracts if the players underperform!!

WxNut I get what you’re saying about Hendriks becoming the eighth inning guy in exchange for a legit shot at a ring. I know this makes a difference for some players, others wouldn’t be willing to put their ego aside for what’s best for the team. I don’t think the Hold stat has quite the glamour and prestige of the Save stat, even though most fans know the immeasurable value of a strong setup man. 

I like to think Hendriks would come here and enthusiastically embrace the setup role and further tighten up the late innings out of the pen. 

All right. From this moment forward I promise to be excited and happy about the Mets’ chances for next year. These moves mean that Cohen is committed to a winning team for several years! LGM!!!

jeffl said:

Ridiculous. 

-ly incredible

mrincredible said:

Fair enough. I just don’t want to see another worst team money could buy. I know it’s not the same thing and the Cohen Mets aren’t signing a bunch of guys with their best years behind them. I just worry that when you commit that much cash you’d better hope it pays off because you’re kinda stuck with the guys for a few years. Hard to get rid of huge contracts if the players underperform!!

WxNut I get what you’re saying about Hendriks becoming the eighth inning guy in exchange for a legit shot at a ring. I know this makes a difference for some players, others wouldn’t be willing to put their ego aside for what’s best for the team. I don’t think the Hold stat has quite the glamour and prestige of the Save stat, even though most fans know the immeasurable value of a strong setup man. 

I like to think Hendriks would come here and enthusiastically embrace the setup role and further tighten up the late innings out of the pen. 

All right. From this moment forward I promise to be excited and happy about the Mets’ chances for next year. These moves mean that Cohen is committed to a winning team for several years! LGM!!!

it’s that last part that has me most excited. This could totally be a worst team money could buy situation but at least we know Steve wants to win as much as we do. We deserve this. 

As far as Hendricks, if handled properly Diaz could do more 4 out saves because Hendricks could save the next day, or you can put Hendricks in to put the fire out whatever inning it is and still have Diaz to close.  

As far as trading prospects I would not trade Alvarez.  Hitting Catchers are the most valuable commodity on a team.  He may or may not be that, but let's give him a chance

mrincredible said:

Anyone else concerned about Correa’s durability? 

Don’t get me wrong I’m excited they’re going after talent and opening up the coffers. And I know that long-term contracts for position players is the new norm. But Crikey! Almost half a billion dollars for payroll including the luxury tax?

right now the only guys who are signed past 2024 are Lindor, Nimmo, Correa, and Senga, (plus an option on Verlander for '25). The budget is out of sight for '23 and '24 for sure. But by '24 Cano comes off the books, and in '25 Verlander (possibly) and Scherzer come off. If Verlander comes back in '25 it will be because he's still pitching at a high level. If they choose to re-sign Scherzer, it would be the same. I think we could live with that as fans. It's only a problem if these expensive guys are a bust and the team can't go out and get anyone to replace them.

Interesting stuff I have been reading on line (take that for what it is worth):

None of the FA signings this year were of players with qualified offers, so while they are expensive they did not cost in terms of future draft picks.

The Mets have a lot of payroll dropping off in 2024.  I saw one estimate of $60MM or so dropping off, with a potential for over $100MM if Scherzer exercises his option to leave.  And they have some good (and cheap) young position players who are almost ready for the big leagues.  Meaning they have room to spend bigtime on 2024 Free Agents (not that Cohen seems particularly worried about a budget): Ohtani, Machado, or Baez  (perhaps even Stroman or Tevor Bauer).

A DH platoon of Vogelbach and Escobar is better than Volgelbach and Ruf, especially if Escobar hits like he did at the end of last year.

It is quaint to see that Bobby Bonilla keeps getting his $1,193,248 per year, and Saberhagen $250,000 per year.  Oh, and 2023 is Robinson Cano's last contract year at a not-so-quaint $24MM.

mfpark said:

Interesting stuff I have been reading on line (take that for what it is worth):

None of the FA signings this year were of players with qualified offers, so while they are expensive they did not cost in terms of future draft picks.

The Mets have a lot of payroll dropping off in 2024.  I saw one estimate of $60MM or so dropping off, with a potential for over $100MM if Scherzer exercises his option to leave.  And they have some good (and cheap) young position players who are almost ready for the big leagues.  Meaning they have room to spend bigtime on 2024 Free Agents (not that Cohen seems particularly worried about a budget): Ohtani, Machado, or Baez  (perhaps even Stroman or Tevor Bauer).

A DH platoon of Vogelbach and Escobar is better than Volgelbach and Ruf, especially if Escobar hits like he did at the end of last year.

It is quaint to see that Bobby Bonilla keeps getting his $1,193,248 per year, and Saberhagen $250,000 per year.  Oh, and 2023 is Robinson Cano's last contract year at a not-so-quaint $24MM.

Unless Bauer enters a treatment program and comes out the other side a different guy, I do NOT want him. And given what Mets executives said last year about dodging a bullet with him, I don't think they do either.

The Mets do have some players that will be MLB ready by 2024 or possibly 2025. One is Alex Fernandez, who could be on the radar to take over CF or RF when Marte is gone, depending on where the team wants to play Nimmo. They have a group of SS and 3B prospects who are now blocked by the relatively young Correa and Lindor. So I'm expecting the Mets to try to get a couple of them to try playing the OF where the team is currently lacking depth, and down the line will need to replace Canha and Marte. Or they could use those guys in trade with a team that has a couple of extra young corner OFs but needs a SS or 3B. 

I heard a Yankee fan calling into WFAN this morning saying they could have had Harper and Machado last year for the same amount as Hicks, Donaldson and Chapman.

I hope I don't become jaded and dissatisfied if my team only makes the playoffs every year. It would be nice to find out. 

jfinnegan said:

I heard a Yankee fan calling into WFAN this morning saying they could have had Harper and Machado last year for the same amount as Hicks, Donaldson and Chapman.

I hope I don't become jaded and dissatisfied if my team only makes the playoffs every year. It would be nice to find out. 

I think that entitlement is mostly limited to Yanks fans. I have a lot of Dodgers fan friends, and I don't get the sense they take postseason appearances or division titles for granted.

DanDietrich said:

As far as Hendricks, if handled properly Diaz could do more 4 out saves because Hendricks could save the next day, or you can put Hendricks in to put the fire out whatever inning it is and still have Diaz to close.  

As far as trading prospects I would not trade Alvarez.  Hitting Catchers are the most valuable commodity on a team.  He may or may not be that, but let's give him a chance

Definitely wouldn't trade Alvarez for Hendriks but they do have another very high ceiling catching prospect in Kevin Parada that means he shouldn't be untouchable for the right return. If Ohtani is available in July and they're not 10 games up in the standings I'd be pretty inclined to make the move if it's there. That said, the Dodgers model really does appear to be what Uncle Steve is going for; buy talent in the short term until you can develop it on your own and figure out places to stick the young guys who force their way up. The Dodgers give their young players runway rather than just thinking of them as trade-bait. This is how you build a sustainable, winning club. 

WxNut2.0 said:

Definitely wouldn't trade Alvarez for Hendriks but they do have another very high ceiling catching prospect in Kevin Parada that means he shouldn't be untouchable for the right return. If Ohtani is available in July and they're not 10 games up in the standings I'd be pretty inclined to make the move if it's there. That said, the Dodgers model really does appear to be what Uncle Steve is going for; buy talent in the short term until you can develop it on your own and figure out places to stick the young guys who force their way up. The Dodgers give their young players runway rather than just thinking of them as trade-bait. This is how you build a sustainable, winning club. 

Along these lines, I like that they are thinking of Baty as a possible LFer rather than trade bait.

To me, Escobar is probably the most expendable now. Vogie is cheap enough to keep around, but it sure would be nice not to have to platoon the DHs.

319 mm for 64 RBIs.  In his walk year no less.  Honestly think Donaldson was a better signing.

BarneyGumble said:

319 mm for 64 RBIs.  In his walk year no less.  Honestly think Donaldson was a better signing.

RBI is an old fogey's idea of an important stat.

WxNut2.0 said:

DanDietrich said:

agree with all of this. The Mets will likely trade a prospect or two if only because they now have something of a logjam at 3B, SS, and catcher. I think the idea will be to see if any of the SSs can play CF, and if the 3Bs can play LF. If any of them can't make the switch, they become valuable to trade. I do think one of the catching prospects might end up as the long-term answer at DH.

I guess that makes Henry Aaron overrated,

He’s a 7 WAR player on average. 5.4 last year in 130 games. Whatever helps you sleep at night though. 

BarneyGumble said:

BarneyGumble said:

Go check out Hank Aaron’s 162 game average WAR on bRef

McCann to the Orioles with Mets paying 19 of 24M outstanding.

McCann will likely ride the pine for 140 games with Rutschman there.

Man, that's a lot of money to eat, but it's just money.  I'm glad that they didn't have to attach a prospect.

I found it amusing that Hal Steinbrenner of all people is the one complaining about Cohen spending. 

Me too.  His family started it all.

jimmurphy said:

Report is he was told he will be in 80 games--but how much at DH or 1B and how much catching?

The Player To Be Named Later is not supposed to be a very high prospect, but who knows?

Baty will absolutely be turned into a corner outfielder this Spring.

jimmurphy said:

I thought Rutschman is the PTBNL. grin He's the only Oriole I know, unless they signed Harvey again. 

jfinnegan said:

I found it amusing that Hal Steinbrenner of all people is the one complaining about Cohen spending. 

it's also crazy that he's blaming Cohen's spending for the fact that there are teams that already know they won't be competitive next season. Is it Cohen's fault that the A's and Reds dumped all their best players last year?

BarneyGumble said:

Did the headlines on Hank's obit mention his RBI total? 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

it's also crazy that he's blaming Cohen's spending for the fact that there are teams that already know they won't be competitive next season. Is it Cohen's fault that the A's and Reds dumped all their best players last year?

Hey, the A's just signed Drew Rucinski! 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

there’s also this: https://twitter.com/dockev_/status/1605911938378211332?s=46&t=DE-9q-IYfTNm6CrUe-_N2g

All of the owners are wealthy. Not to the extent of Cohen, but they have enough money to compete. If they're seriously losing money they could sell their team tomorrow for hundreds of millions of dollars. And some teams sign all the wrong guys when they do decide to spend some money, i.e. the Marlins. 

WxNut2.0 said:

BarneyGumble said:

Go check out Hank Aaron’s 162 game average WAR on bRef

Aaron #7 on the all-time WAR list.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!