Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

ml1 said:

I don't agree with this. Taking extra base is always better. By the logic of keeping the hole open for the next batter, why would anyone leg out a double? 

If he was successful over 80% of the time then it makes sense. The combination of being afraid of getting hurt, taking small leads, and not getting great jumps doesn't look like he'll be getting to that 80%, but I don't have a free burger riding on it.  

definitely success % is important. But we're talking about one of the fastest players in MLB, someone who has worked very hard on improving his game, plus bases a few inches closer next year. I expect him to add a decent number of SBs to his game next year in a smart way. I'm prepared to be wrong. But if I am, I doubt it will be because Nimmo didn't give it his best effort.

I had a dream (nightmare) last night that Nimmo was writhing in pain behind second base. The field was soggy, with standing water. I woke up in a cold sweat. 

If Nimmo plays the same I'm happy.  It's Escobar and to some extent Canha who need to improve.

Cole

Rodon

Severino

Cortes

Montas

Deal with it.

BarneyGumble said:

Cole

Rodon

Severino

Cortes

Montas

Deal with it.

Is "your" team playing in the NL East now? If not, no, we don't have to deal with it. Go find another thread. 

Seth Lugo signs with Padres, where he gets a chance to be the fifth starter.

Sad to see him go.

Ottavino is returning to the Mets. That's some good news 

Sounds as if they're in the trade talks for Liam Hendriks!

Soul_29 said:

So they’d have the two highest-paid closers in baseball?  

mrincredible said:

Soul_29 said:

So they’d have the two highest-paid closers in baseball?  

Works for me.

Train_of_Thought said:

Works for me.

It’s a bit puzzling. Is there room for two All-Star closers in a bullpen? I’m thinking about ego and games pitched. They’re also both righties. Can you keep them both sharp and happy?

Holy cow!  Astonishing on so many levels. Hard to know where to even start.  Lineup! Payroll!! Escobar and Baty!

I didn't see this coming.  What about the physical?

Who was that guy to went to Texas instead because he liked their commitment to winning the World Series?

BarneyGumble said:

Cole

Rodon

Severino

Cortes

Montas

Deal with it.

hahahahhahaa oooook

mfpark said:

Holy cow!  Astonishing on so many levels. Hard to know where to even start.  Lineup! Payroll!! Escobar and Baty!

Baty is gonna look great in an Angels uniform

DanDietrich said:

I didn't see this coming.  What about the physical?

Still pending, but you have to believe Boras's team shared the Giants' physical with the Mets before this was announced.

Yeah, that's what I figured, unless the Giants just got cold feet.  

DanDietrich said:

Yeah, that's what I figured, unless the Giants just got cold feet.  

hard to imagine the Mets doing this without being absolutely sure the physical is a formality 

mrincredible said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Works for me.

It’s a bit puzzling. Is there room for two All-Star closers in a bullpen? I’m thinking about ego and games pitched. They’re also both righties. Can you keep them both sharp and happy?

yes. Hendriks becomes the set up man on a WS caliber club. Gotta figure he’d prefer that to rotting in a white Sox uni 

mfpark said:

Some thoughts:

1.  The Giants went from having a great FA period to looking like chumps.  They lost Rodon, they were snubbed by Judge, and now they've lost their shining star signing.  And as a result of the late dump of Correa, they lost out on possibly signing one of the other superstar shortstops on the market.  The question obviously is, how bad are the medicals and did the Mets just buy a pig in the poke?

2.  Mets 2023 Starting Line Up:  Nimmo, Correa, Lindor, Alonso, McNeil, Canha, Vogelbach/Alvarez(?)/Baty(?), Marte, Narvaez/McCann/Alvarez

3.  Mets 2023 Payroll is around $380,000,000.  If I get this right, they pay a 90% penalty on salaries over the $293,000,000 luxury tax cap, which means another $78,300,000 for a total payroll of $458,300,000.

4.  Cohen has to be taken seriously when he says he is going after Ohtani next year.  Ohtani is rumored to not be happy with the Angels, and Eppler is the GM who first signed him in LA if that means anything.  Would Cohen trade Baty, Alvarez, and perhaps one or two other top prospects to nab Ohtani before he hits the open market in a trade and sign mega-deal?

5.  What does this mean for Pete Alonso, who is an unrestricted free agent in 2025?  Does Cohen try to wrap him up in a long term deal as well?  

6.  What does this mean for Baty, who is a natural third baseman?  Do they switch him to the outfield?  Or is he now top-prospect trade bait?  How about Escobar, who has one more year at $10MM on his contract?  He is an expensive but useful backup in the infield, but perhaps some team would be willing to take on a veteran in exchange for prospects if the Mets eat part of the salary.

Baty might go in the Hendriks deal. I'm not a fan of Correa after the garbage can fiasco. Would have preferred Trea Turner if they were willing to give a contract like that.

luxury tax is ~$111MM

Merry Christmas Fleece, Boras.  

BarneyGumble said:

Merry Christmas Fleece, Boras.  

Alonso

McNeil

Lindor

Correa

Deal with it. 

Anyone else concerned about Correa’s durability? 

Don’t get me wrong I’m excited they’re going after talent and opening up the coffers. And I know that long-term contracts for position players is the new norm. But Crikey! Almost half a billion dollars for payroll including the luxury tax?

mrincredible said:

Anyone else concerned about Correa’s durability? 

Don’t get me wrong I’m excited they’re going after talent and opening up the coffers. And I know that long-term contracts for position players is the new norm. But Crikey! Almost half a billion dollars for payroll including the luxury tax?

NMM.

Not My Money. 

Look, the dollars don't make sense to most of us. So stop thinking about it. It's not like Uncle Steve is gonna have to have a bake sale to pay the ushers at CitiField. 

That aside, I like, not love, the Correa signing. I was OK with Escobar/Baty at 3rd base this season. 

As Mets fans were conditioned to constantly think about the money as prohibitive rather than beneficial. It’s clear that has changed. Baty and Escobar would’ve been fine. But Correa is, assuming health and play consistent with his career averages, in another stratosphere. We’ve paid our dues, let’s enjoy this. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.