Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I heard Cone was the #1 pick for the Old Timer's Game. I guess they're picking guys that they think can still play, but picking Josh Thole ahead of Piazza just seems wrong.

The Braves are not bringing up catchers right now.  I hope he comes in in the spring and takes a job.  Why do people think that hitting in the minors is as hard as hitting in the majors?  Look at Baty.  After his first day he was crowned the new David Wright, hall of fame bound.  Now he's hitting 130 with average defense and making people hope Escobar gets back soon. He needs more time 

The Braves put young pitchers right into the middle of the playoff race last year. Alvarez has already caught deGrom, Peterson and Megill. If they're going to go strictly by the cather the pitchers want to pitch to then Perez should be the catcher. I still prefer Baty to Escobar against righties. I was certain that Keith saying he has a beautiful swing would translate to a .330 average.  

jfinnegan said:

The Braves put young pitchers right into the middle of the playoff race last year. Alvarez has already caught deGrom, Peterson and Megill. If they're going to go strictly by the cather the pitchers want to pitch to then Perez should be the catcher. I still prefer Baty to Escobar against righties. I was certain that Keith saying he has a beautiful swing would translate to a .330 average.  

the scouts rate Alvarez's catching as fairly poor right now. Give him an intensive tutoring next spring and see how he responds. But I wouldn't bring him up now. Maybe post Sept 1 when the rosters expand, and use him as an occasional DH.

And the Braves have brought guys up by necessity and they were fortunate the players were ready. Atlanta tried a few options at 2B before they brought up Grissom, who's been on fire.  They were also pretty thin at CF when they called up Harris. 

The Mets don't need Baty or Vientos when Escobar and Guillorme come back. And while they need serious hitting help from their catchers, the pitch calling and framing are too important to the team's overall success to turn it over to a rookie who isn't very good behind the plate.

It sounds like Guillorme might be coming back sooner than expected. That should help. Thoughts on signing Nimmo long term. I just looked at the available centerfielders and there is nobody, unless you consider Judge a centerfielder. I suppose Trea Turner could play CF just fine as well. It's odd that for a fairly speedy guy that was able to turn himself into a good centerfielder NImmo can't figure out how to steal a few bases. 

The key there is who is available that is better.  Nimmo has improved in CF, but his average has dropped, he doesn't hit for power, and has a weak arm.  I love his 10 pitch at bats, though.

Why take Basset out after 88 or so pitches?  Can't he get to 100 at this point, when we know we have a bad pen?

Attended Old Timers Day. Enjoyed immensely. Memory lane for me, history lesson for my Met fan son.

On paper that was a very winnable game.  

The Dodgers are knocking the cover off of the ball. 

The Mets gave Scherzer the deGrom treatment, and are having a hard time scoring runs in general.  After being on fire since the break, Lindor is hitting .111 the last 7 games, and only .233 the last 15.  Alonso has stopped looking befuddled at the plate the last few games, but his power numbers are way down.  Vogelbach has hit barely half his listed weight the last 20 games.  McNeil continues to get his knocks, but does not drive in runs.  

Good pitching beats good hitting when the pitchers get at least a few runs to back them up.  The Mets need to score runs in bunches against a really hot Dodgers team that combines excellent pitching with good run production.

mfpark said:

The Dodgers are knocking the cover off of the ball. 

The Mets gave Scherzer the deGrom treatment, and are having a hard time scoring runs in general.  After being on fire since the break, Lindor is hitting .111 the last 7 games, and only .233 the last 15.  Alonso has stopped looking befuddled at the plate the last few games, but his power numbers are way down.  Vogelbach has hit barely half his listed weight the last 20 games.  McNeil continues to get his knocks, but does not drive in runs.  

Good pitching beats good hitting when the pitchers get at least a few runs to back them up.  The Mets need to score runs in bunches against a really hot Dodgers team that combines excellent pitching with good run production.

Marquez, the Rockies pitcher, has an ERA of almost 5.0 this season and the Mets were shutout.  Terrible support for Scherzer.

They miss Guillorme.  With him they can handle a Lindor slump.  Without him it is hard.  They are missing the clutch singles that he provides.

The Mets walked 8 guys tonight. Tough to win that way.

They would have had a good chance if Walker hadn't hit Gallo. 

I wanted them to bunt with Nido and go for the tie instead of sending Vogelbach up. The Mets still had Diaz, Ottavino and May. The Dodgers had nobody. 

Vogelbach has really been flat.  But losing that game was a real team effort.

The Dodgers were giving them every chance to win that game. Fortunately the Rockies helped them out, which I wasn't expecting. 

jfinnegan said:

The Dodgers were giving them every chance to win that game. Fortunately the Rockies helped them out, which I wasn't expecting. 

I look at is one more day off the schedule without Atlanta getting closer. And it's one day closer to being done with playing good teams for the next three weeks.

Baty getting  thumb surgery tomorrow for torn ligament.  

DanDietrich said:

Baty getting  thumb surgery tomorrow for torn ligament.  

Damn, that didn't last very long.

The good news is that Luis G is coming back sooner than expected.  

Can I start breathing now? 

That Nimmo catch is a highlight of the year.  Given that they refuse to score runs when deGrom is pitching, they have to steal them from the other team in order to win.

In all fairness the Dodgers have pretty good pitching.  We should not be expecting to score much off of them.  Its a big part of why they are the best team in baseball.

They do have good pitching, but the Mets have been unable to hit lefties for what feels like years. When do rosters expand? Vientos should be starting at DH today. 

Remember that they only expand by two, I think, and that Vientos has never faced a major league pitcher in a major league game.  Baty hit around 280 in the minors, I think, and ended up at 180 in the bigs.  

Good point. So is Dom going to come up since he can at least run to first when he grounds out to 2nd? I wish I was on my way to the game. Nice weather for a ballgame.

I don't know the answer, but I agree I'd like someone who can run to first.  I'm not knocking his size, but I think he's injured.  We really need Guillorme back.

Vogelbach is clearly injured, but if you have to walk from 1st to 2nd on a groundball and can't run hard to try to stop a double play in the 9th inning then you should probably be on the IL. Even if he gets on with the way he's running it will take 3 hits for him to score.

If he ever gets on I'd use a relief pitcher as a pinch runner.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!