Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

yahooyahoo said:

Tought series for the Mets.  I think it's the first series they have lost all season to an NL East opponent.

it feels like it's going to be another tough stretch of trying to find warm bodies to put out on the mound. But this team has gone through this before. The difficult west coast swing had to be endured without Scherzer and deGrom, and with Lindor playing through a broken finger.

It's what makes this season all the more special. They haven't exactly benefited from a charmed life when it comes to health of the pitching staff.

Mets are starting Jose Butto today.  Mostly AA, a couple of AAA starts.  Better do some hitting.

wow. this has started even worse than we could have expected, if that's possible.

Holy cow.  What a fun game.  A real back breaker for the Phillies, and the braves lost, too.

Early this afternoon the Mets were down 4-0 and the Braves were up 2-0. What a difference a few hours makes. 

Good to see Diaz tough out a save when he did NOT have the slider. 

I wonder when Escobar will be back.  

Is it still too soon to think May should only be used when they're up by 5 or 6 runs? 

What an exciting game last night.  

May is a problem right now.  Not good that they had to burn Diaz in a situation like this.

OTOH, hurray for Nate Fisher in his first big league game!  

My friend said that without May the game wouldn't have been as exciting.

mfpark said:

May is a problem right now.  Not good that they had to burn Diaz in a situation like this.

Just read more of the detail on Nate Fisher and his journey to this point in time. Very very cool!
Here's the mlb.com link I had read: https://www.mlb.com/news/nate-fisher-goes-from-working-at-a-bank-to-mets

jfinnegan said:

My friend said that without May the game wouldn't have been as exciting.

It's good to have such a positive friend who I assume makes delicious lemonade. grin

wendy said:

mfpark said:

Just read more of the detail on Nate Fisher and his journey to this point in time. Very very cool!
Here's the mlb.com link I had read: https://www.mlb.com/news/nate-fisher-goes-from-working-at-a-bank-to-mets

Aw. Gee Whiz.  Fisher was DFA'ed to get him off the 40 person roster right before last night's game.  He can be traded, waived, or sent to the minors.  But he will not be pitching for the Mets as of now.  Bummer.

No, he can't be sent to the minors.  He can be claimed by any other team, traded, or released.  After that he can re sign with the Mets or any other team.  But they can't control his choice.

It's tough being the last reliever. The guy I feel bad about is Nogosek. They consistenly send him out for long outings and then he ends up on the IL the next day or sent down to the minors.

sbenois said:

Dom

How is he doing down there? Naquin hasn't hit a ball in weeks it feels like. 

He hit a few hard balls.  A couple of nice line drives and a ball caught on the warning track.  He DHed last night.   I am personally not thrilled with either Naquin or Vogelbach.  Vogelbach goes deep into counts and he has had some great hits but that guy is a massive liability on the bases.   

Honestly, Dom looks miserable.   At the end of the game I moved over to the seat in the front row right behind the plate and he was in the on deck circle with two outs in the bottom of the ninth.  Jankowski grounded out to first and I noticed that while every Met left the field and the Red Sox affiliate players congratulated each other, Dom just stared out at the field for about 10-15 seconds.   Just staring blankly.  Total conjecture on my part but it was almost like he was wondering how he got there.    It was really sad.

In fact, I found the whole thing to be a little sad.   This is the graveyard for most of these guys.   Some are on the way up like Vientos.  But most are there just to be fill-ins when the big team needs someone.  Plummer played left. What a butcher he is.  Blankenhorn.  Jankowski.  Katoh.    And the level of play is clearly, um, lacking.    I did enjoy the pitch clock and at one point a ball was called for a violation leading to a walk.

BTW, Alvarez did not play and he was the main reason I made the trip.  

It's worth remembering that 95% of a farm system is there to give the 5% who are actual prospects someone to play against.  

when I heard that vogelbach is playing through a leg issue I almost choked.  If he can't even run the little bit that he could run he has to be replaced.  

It sort of irritates me when professional athletes let themselves get that out of shape. It shouldn't be an accomplishment for him to be able to get from 1st to 3rd when somebody hits a double. 

And Pete seems to be regressing again at 1st base. They sure could use Dom, but they gave him plenty of opportunity. I don't know what happened to him. I thought they had found their first baseman for the next 10 years. Two years ago they were trying to decide between him and Pete.

The trade that made no sense to me was Davis for Ruf. Davis could be playing 3rd base right now. And they traded 3 guys for Ruf, including Szapucki. 

I know that there are people who like Vogelbach.   I don't understand it.   

In terms of Pete, he needs a few days off.   His running has been awful lately whether rounding the bases or getting turned around on balls in the field.

The Davis trade at the time made sense.  He was third on the 3b depth chart and hadn't been hitting at all.  It seemed almost kind to send a good guy somewhere that he could play, but I do think that they sent one player too many in the deal.  

What are the odds of them bringing up Alvarez before the 31st? I think the rule is he has to be on the roster to be eligible for the playoffs. I can't deal with McCann at the plate. It has gotten to the point where I prefer Perez in there over him. It's tough to win with the #8 and #9 hitters being outs and the #7 hitter isn't going to get much to hit with the guys "protecting" him at the moment.

It would be a disaster for the future of Alvarez to bring him up under such pressure.  Not only asking him to hit ML pitching, but catch Scherzer and deGrom.

Hoping the Cards can help you this weekend. Going to be tough going. 

Vogelbach needs to be put on the IL.  That jog to second just now was ridiculous.   Is this freaking softball?

DanDietrich said:

It would be a disaster for the future of Alvarez to bring him up under such pressure.  Not only asking him to hit ML pitching, but catch Scherzer and deGrom.

I was thinking he could catch the games if Peterson or Megill are starting. Why are the Mets' prospects alway too young to bring up, but the Braves prospects do just fine?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.