Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

At first it looked like Diaz was going into the clubhouse after the 8th.  But then he came back to the dugout and was lights out in the 9th.  He had plenty in the tank, and I bet they consider using him in the doubleheader if it is really tight at the end of one of the games.  Winning this one was huge for the team at the start of this series, so I was not surprised Buck let him nail it down.  The energy of the crowd felt like playoffs.

Nice win.  The second inning was harder for Diaz.  He's lucky that he got a check swing out on ball 4.  I think Givens will be fine after his hiccup. He has a good track record this season.  And Lugo isn't terrible. May is hard to read after one inning  back

I keep reading  that the Guardians have big problems at first base.  It's too bad we can't find a way to trade them Dom for someone, mostly to help Dom out.  I know we are past the deadline, but we could get a prospect, maybe.

(intentionally deleted)

Rough night for Walker, but the pen did well and we scored 6.  Keep hitting today.

The deGrominator was unconscious today.

Can't overlook Rodriguez pitching terrific relief today.  Good timing for his best work of the year.  

Mets and Yanks tied for 2nd best record in baseball, behind only the Dodgers.

Train_of_Thought said:

Mets and Yanks tied for 2nd best record in baseball, behind only the Dodgers.

I guess the Yanks aren't going to win 120 games this year after all.

I watched more baseball over the past week than I have in years. It's enjoyable not being the team making all the mistakes and I love their approach at the plate. You could see the starter yesterday was getting frustrated when they kept fouling off pitches. 

I thought they did a great job the entire broadcast. Showing deGrom warming up with Simple Man playing was pretty special also. Guillorme has to change his walkup music, though, IMO. 

mfpark said:

https://www.mlb.com/mets/ballpark/music

All the walk-up, walk-in songs for 2022.

Now I want Plummer to get called up. Are they sure about Lindor? Maybe he changed his music. 

been thinking about why this team is so much better than last year's team. And I think it's everything. They are incrementally better at just about every aspect of the game. The fielding is better because McNeil and Nimmo worked to improve, Marte is an upgrade in RF, and the DH was addition by subtraction, keeping Davis off the field and Dom out of LF. The baserunning is better because Cora is more aggressive, but smart (the last few years the Mets were one of the least aggressive baserunning teams). The hitters are striking out less, and seeing more pitches. The pitching is of course better from top to bottom.

And the team doesn't make many mental mistakes. From Eppler to Showalter, the coaching staff and the veteran players, nobody takes anything for granted. They play hard, and they play heads up. Buck is doing a great job, but the players have to hold each other accountable for it to play out on the field. And it looks like they are doing that. Nobody takes an AB off, and nobody doesn't run hard on the bases.

It's hard as a Mets fan not to expect disaster around the corner, but a lot of what the team is doing is sustainable. Good fielding, good baserunning, and almost no mental errors means not giving away games. They could still end up losing a couple of pitchers and hitters to injuries, and that would make it harder to win the division. But I'm actually starting to get cautiously optimistic grin

Just imagine if that Matz deal went through... Some times the best deals are the ones that don't happen. 

jfinnegan said:

Just imagine if that Matz deal went through... Some times the best deals are the ones that don't happen. 

and if Syndergaard had accepted the QO. Would the Mets have considered Scherzer too costly if they were paying Syndergaard more than $20MM? 

Mets and Braves both have 52 games left.  If the Mets win only half, 26 games, the braves will have to go 33-19 to tie.  But the Mets are playing at about a 640 clip, so a better number for them might be 33 wins, which would leave the Braves at 40-12 to tie.  The Mets didn't get here by luck or bad calls, despite what that Braves rookie thinks.

ml1 said:

been thinking about why this team is so much better than last year's team. And I think it's everything. They are incrementally better at just about every aspect of the game. The fielding is better because McNeil and Nimmo worked to improve, Marte is an upgrade in RF, and the DH was addition by subtraction, keeping Davis off the field and Dom out of LF. The baserunning is better because Cora is more aggressive, but smart (the last few years the Mets were one of the least aggressive baserunning teams). The hitters are striking out less, and seeing more pitches. The pitching is of course better from top to bottom.

And the team doesn't make many mental mistakes. From Eppler to Showalter, the coaching staff and the veteran players, nobody takes anything for granted. They play hard, and they play heads up. Buck is doing a great job, but the players have to hold each other accountable for it to play out on the field. And it looks like they are doing that. Nobody takes an AB off, and nobody doesn't run hard on the bases.

It's hard as a Mets fan not to expect disaster around the corner, but a lot of what the team is doing is sustainable. Good fielding, good baserunning, and almost no mental errors means not giving away games. They could still end up losing a couple of pitchers and hitters to injuries, and that would make it harder to win the division. But I'm actually starting to get cautiously optimistic

I am too. I think the Mets were smart to push this year and not to trade away prospects at the deadline.

I am more than a bit concerned about the age and contract status of the pitching staff. Very few pitchers in the pipeline, which is unusual for the Mets. 

Wondering if we’re witnessing a change in philosophy.

Does anyone have any confidence in Trevor May?   I get sick whenever I see him on the mound.

sbenois said:

Does anyone have any confidence in Trevor May?   I get sick whenever I see him on the mound.

Scary, but they dodged the bullet.

Keith Hernandez's picture will be up on two clubhouse walls--one in the Philly clubhouse inspiring them to kick the Mets' butts, and one pinned to the dartboard and peppered with holes in Showalter's office.

I like Keith as an announcer more or less, but he really has a big mouth sometimes.

Keith is starting to slip.  Not just the big mouth.  He repeats things already said because he doesn't pay attention, and complains about conditions in the booth too much.  Ron is still very sharp.

sbenois said:

I told my friends I turned it off after the 5th. They said they knew I had because I wasn't cursing him. There's very little movement on his pitches. The off day tomorrow is needed. 

mfpark said:

Keith Hernandez's picture will be up on two clubhouse walls--one in the Philly clubhouse inspiring them to kick the Mets' butts, and one pinned to the dartboard and peppered with holes in Showalter's office.

I like Keith as an announcer more or less, but he really has a big mouth sometimes.

can't say I disagree with him.  I wrote this back in May:

ml1
said:

DanDietrich said:

I think any left fielder other than Schwarber may have been able to grab that hit by McNeil. Good night for the Mets.

Statcast info indicated 70% of the time that ball was an out. Schwarber is terrible out there. Phillies are brutal in the field. Must be hard to be a fan of theirs and watch them butchering plays every night.

jfinnegan said:

I told my friends I turned it off after the 5th. They said they knew I had because I wasn't cursing him. There's very little movement on his pitches. The off day tomorrow is needed. 

Oh there's plenty of movement on his pitches.   They're all over the place and he has no idea where they are going to land.   I do not want to see him on the playoff roster.   He scares the **** out of me.

Well that's true he has no idea where they're going, but if he does have control of his fastball he tends to throw it straight and up in the zone. If Megill and Peterson are able to work out of the bullpen there's no reason to have May on the playoff roster. One of the starters will probably be moved to the bullpen for the playoffs also. Did they sign him for 2 or 3 years? I can't handle another year of him. 

May has missed a big chunk of time.  I'm willing to use him for a week or two to see if he has gotten his stuff together.

DanDietrich said:

May has missed a big chunk of time.  I'm willing to use him for a week or two to see if he has gotten his stuff together.

same here. He's been a good pitcher throughout his career. And except for a few bad games in the middle of the season he was pretty good last season. If he's still this bad after a few more outings, he can be reassessed..

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.