Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

jfinnegan said:

They need bullpen help quickly. I was watching it with co-workers and some were thinking Walker might come out after 4 innings. I said they don't have enough relievers to get through another 5 innings. I guess Diaz will be available today since they have off tomorrow, but I don't think Buck has confidence in anybody other than him and Ottavino.

Smith has been good enough. And May will be back soon. But they definitely need a LH in the bullpen, and another solid righty wouldn't hurt either. If Lugo had been the player he was a couple of years ago, there would be less of a need, but he's jus not the same pitcher.

A few weeks ago I would have thought they'd need a starter, two relievers and a power hitter. Now I think the need is down to a bat and a lefty reliever, with a second reliever a nice to have, but not necessarily a need. 

It looks like we are going to see deGrom pitch this season, and the rehab has been slow and steady enough that I think he'll be healthy for all or nearly all his starts. That and the fact that Carrasco seems to have found his way back after those two dreadful Houston starts makes me think it would be a waste of prospects to try to get another starter. Not to mention that the pen is so much higher priority right now.


I don't understand the Holderman/Vogelbach trade.


Me neither.  Now they need to trade for a guy like Holderman.


yahooyahoo said:

I don't understand the Holderman/Vogelbach trade.

perhaps Pete needed someone to help him design the next super burger at Alonso's Arctic Grill. 


Tonight is on ESPN, so no GKR.  


DanDietrich said:

Tonight is on ESPN, so no GKR.  

Engage the MUTE button. Listen to the transistor radio!


I usually mute it and just watch.  BTW, braves lost today.  Cano 0-4.  His average is at 150.  When the braves got him it was 153.  It's actually gone down from there.  He's earning some of that Mets money.


If Lugo pitches like that it will be huge. I hated the Peterson move. I thought Smith or Lugo should have gotten to start the inning.


I love Peterson as a starter. He does very well.  But his first inning is always a little rough.  That won't work out of the pen.  I notice, too, that Williams has fallen off the face of the earth.

I totally agree that Lugo looked like his old self.  He was going right after people.



Good series. Especially the way it turned out. I’m always happy when they beat the Yankees. But I’m even happier that they expanded their lead just a little bit. 

I really hope they just mercilessly destroy the Marlins and Nationals and go into the next Braves series on a roll. 


mrincredible said:

Good series. Especially the way it turned out. I’m always happy when they beat the Yankees. But I’m even happier that they expanded their lead just a little bit. 

I really hope they just mercilessly destroy the Marlins and Nationals and go into the next Braves series on a roll. 

Friday is a tough assignment. Beating Alcantara is probably going to mean trying to drive the pitch count up.  A few 8 or 9 pitch ABs from Nimmo will be just what the doctor ordered.


Is it me or has Nimmo been swinging at the first pitch a lot lately? Other than his first AB. I have been impressed with his play in centerfield. He seems to get good jumps most of the time. 

How were the Yanks able to get Benintendi for 3 pitchers that will never make the majors and the Mets had to trade Holderman for Vogelbach? I know they have more years of control with Vogelbach, but there's no comparison between the two. 


The Yankees paid a high enough price for a rental.  But I still don't like the Holderman deal.


Drew Smith to the I.L. with a strained lat. Hope Lugo’s performance last night was repeatable.


jimmurphy said:

Drew Smith to the I.L. with a strained lat. Hope Lugo’s performance last night was repeatable.

sounds like a two month injury 


I’d “like” that if I did. smirk


Damn.  He's been a good pitcher.


DanDietrich said:

Damn.  He's been a good pitcher.

More often than not.

Getting my fix with the “other team” tonight. Gotta be tough for Benintendi to change clubhouses! 0-for-3 so far.


jimmurphy said:

DanDietrich said:

Damn.  He's been a good pitcher.

More often than not.

Getting my fix with the “other team” tonight. Gotta be tough for Benintendi to change clubhouses! 0-for-3 so far.

That's a great pick-up for the Yankees. 


Soul_29 said:

That's a great pick-up for the Yankees. 

sorry but I have to question guys who are anti-vax 


ml1 said:

sorry but I have to question guys who are anti-vax 

I question more than that.  He said that if the royals were in the race he would have gotten the shot.  So its his choice to not give everything he's got for his teammates.  

  I do wonder how many Mets are unvaccinated.  


DanDietrich said:

ml1 said:

sorry but I have to question guys who are anti-vax 

I question more than that.  He said that if the royals were in the race he would have gotten the shot.  So its his choice to not give everything he's got for his teammates.  

  I do wonder how many Mets are unvaccinated.  

I think the last few unvaxxed Mets got the shot in spring training when NYC still had a requirement.

the logic of many of the unvaxxed is a bit convoluted. For so many it's -- "I won't let the government tell me what to put in my body!" But before COVID was politicized in the U.S. almost all of them have willingly submitted to at least one government vaccine requirement. So what is the principle they're standing on now?


Mets get Naquin and Diehl from Reds for two non-important minor leaguers.
Not an earth-shaking deal, but not a headscratcher like the Vogelbach deal.

Naquin gives them some pop from the left side of the plate.

This will mean less playing time for Jankowski, I imagine.

Diehl is a lefty who has spent this year proving that his sky-high ERA was not due to pitching in Colorado.  He has already been assigned to Syracuse, presumably to work on his stuff while being ready to be called up.


Naquin gets to play the Marlins back to back nights with 2 different teams. My contribution to the thread, ladies and gentlemen.


Train_of_Thought said:

Naquin gets to play the Marlins back to back nights with 2 different teams. My contribution to the thread, ladies and gentlemen.

I am sure someone will be along soon to tell you why that's wrong.  


 Hoping that the Mets can trade Smith and Davis for some low level prospects.  I like both guys, but they are redundant.


Diaz. 

That is all.


They did in fact make Alcantara throw a lot of pitches in the first two innings. 


Good work by the bullpen.


In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.