Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Train_of_Thought said:

Evan Roberts on Twitter: If Jake takes his next turn on Sunday, we would be lined up for Jake vs Cole next Friday at Yankee Stadium.

All they can talk about is deGrom.  By then the team might be in third place.

I'm not quick to blame the trainer but this is getting to be so ridiculous with the pitchers that you have to start wondering.

5-0 lead may not be enough.  And Corey Oswalt is in the pen.  Ugh.

Nice to see Dom coming around a bit.

Something occurs to me.

Performance at the highest level in baseball is first and foremost about confidence.

So many talented players. Some make it. Some don’t. There’s even “a thing” about players being able to “make it” in NY or not.

Does it strike anyone as odd that we as Mets fans show so little confidence in our team? Do you collectively feel that rubs off on the team?

Would love to hear responses.

FilmCarp said:

Nah.

Expected response. ;-)

Soliciting responses from others…

There's a lot of gloom and doom and naysaying based on the results of individual games.  

I don't know how much it actually affects the players, but there seems to be a fairly high knucklehead quotient among Mets fans.  It seems like there is an impatience among the fans that isn't as pronounced among fans of other teams. You can hear the grumbling in the stands when a reliever walks a guy and throws a first pitch ball to the next batter.

After all this, is the fan base that booed Johan Santana in the first game he pitched for the Mets at Shea Stadium.

ml1 said:

I don't know how much it actually affects the players, but there seems to be a fairly high knucklehead quotient among Mets fans.  It seems like there is an impatience among the fans that isn't as pronounced among fans of other teams. You can hear the grumbling in the stands when a reliever walks a guy and throws a first pitch ball to the next batter.

After all this, is the fan base that booed Johan Santana in the first game he pitched for the Mets at Shea Stadium.

I would qualify this by saying there is a high knucklehead quotient among NY sports fans.  Not only an immediate impatience with players, including rookies, but a sense of entitlement that NY teams should win because they're in NY.  I don't think Mets fans are the worst in the NY area in this regard.

ml1 said:

Exactly. I really don’t understand booing players unless they are clearly dogging it, not trying, making stupid mental errors - things like that. 

NY fans and Cardinals fans are generally held up as having high “baseball I.Q.s,” but the approach to rooting and supporting the teams are so different.

Complaining online certainly doesn’t affect players, but I think booing does.

The complaining online just gets old…

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:

Exactly. I really don’t understand booing players unless they are clearly dogging it, not trying, making stupid mental errors - things like that. 

NY fans and Cardinals fans are generally held up as having high “baseball I.Q.s,” but the approach to rooting and supporting the teams are so different.

Complaining online certainly doesn’t affect players, but I think booing does.

The complaining online just gets old…

I was at a game, probably in 2009 because it was at Citi.  David Wright had been in a mini-slump for a week or so, and the fans booed him because he struck out a couple of times that day.  David Wright getting booed was a fairly uncommon thing, but the fact that it happened at all was ridiculous.

Well, the flip side is we keep hearing about how good the offense is, when one player is hitting over 250, and every superlative ever written is used about DeGrom even when he pitches two, then three innings.  Am I being negative when I think someone should make it through 7 on a regular basis before they are crowned the greatest of all time?  Maybe.  Do I get frustrated when a pitcher starts a hitter 0-2 and then throws 4 pitches out of the zone? You bet I do.  I don't ever wish injury or failure on any player, though, and I think fans in other towns are exactly the same.  Nobody is pleased with the Phillies right now.  

FilmCarp said:

Well, the flip side is we keep hearing about how good the offense is, when one player is hitting over 250, and every superlative ever written is used about DeGrom even when he pitches two, then three innings.  Am I being negative when I think someone should make it through 7 on a regular basis before they are crowned the greatest of all time?  Maybe.  Do I get frustrated when a pitcher starts a hitter 0-2 and then throws 4 pitches out of the zone? You bet I do.  I don't ever wish injury or failure on any player, though, and I think fans in other towns are exactly the same.  Nobody is pleased with the Phillies right now.  

I think you may be the only baseball fan not awed by 2021 Jacob deGrom. 

Just wrote and deleted a very cathartic post. 

Let’s. Go. Mets.

ml1 said:

FilmCarp said:

I think you may be the only baseball fan not awed by 2021 Jacob deGrom. 

I am awed by his pitching.  But four innings with 11ks is less helpful to the team than 7 innings with 2ks. And the announcers skip that part.  They talk about consecutive starts but not the length of the starts.  I do like his batting average.

FilmCarp
said:

I am awed by his pitching. But four innings with 11ks is less helpful to the team than 7 innings with 2ks. And the announcers skip that part. They talk about consecutive starts but not the length of the starts. I do like his batting average.

those are starts when he was injured or coming back after injury. When they're sure he's 100% physically he'll be back to pitching 7-8 innings. Maybe even tomorrow.

ml1 said:

FilmCarp
said:

I am awed by his pitching. But four innings with 11ks is less helpful to the team than 7 innings with 2ks. And the announcers skip that part. They talk about consecutive starts but not the length of the starts. I do like his batting average.

those are starts when he was injured or coming back after injury. When they're sure he's 100% physically he'll be back to pitching 7-8 innings. Maybe even tomorrow.

I know that, and I hope for the best.

besides the injuries, there may be something of a method to how the Mets are handling deGrom's workload, especially after the short season last year.  If they're in a good position to win the game they're not pushing him (they are 9-3 in deGrom's starts.  And in the 3 losses he threw 77, 95 and 93 pitches).  As a team that expects to contend all year, they may trying to conserve deGrom for a long stretch run.  If that's the case, so far it's been a smart approach because the bullpen has only blown one of his starts after he exited.

Why Jacob deGrom's numbers are more sustainable than you think (and Trevor Bauer's aren't)

Holy cow,  the Phillies stink. I knew from following the news that their fielding and bullpen are pretty bad. But it's another thing to see it up close. It's like watching the 2018 Mets. 

The Travis Blankenhorn era resumes!

Those first three games were embarrassing.  The Phillies are terrible, and the Mets barely won those two games.  At least three times the bottom of the order loaded the bases with no outs and the top or middle of the lineup failed completely.  The pitching was good as usual, and DeGrom impressed me by pitching deep without his best stuff.  But I think this is the lowest scoring offense in baseball 

The Mets have the best team ERA in the Major Leagues. 

Yes, team hitting is among the worst depending on what metrics you use.

Games like yesterday's make me question the rules for which pitcher is awarded the win.

I'm not that concerned about the hitting.  With 11 games in 9 days, and Nimmo still on the IL, and McNeil easing back into the lineup, there were still significant ABs going to the likes of Almora and Peraza.  If the team can get to the All-Star break in first place, there is a lot to like about the second half chances.  The schedule coming out of the break is a lot easier than it is prior, and barring other significant injuries, the team should be more healthy for the stretch.

I sincerely hope that I never have to see Almora in a Mets uniform after Nimmo gets back.

He's awful.  Speaking of awful, how's about that Alec Bohm?  YIKES!  He makes Dave Kingman look like Brooks Robinson over there.

Speaking of booing, why was Wheeler booed yesterday? He pitched well for the Mets and he didn't want to leave. It wasn't his fault that they didn't make him an offer. Now they'll end up paying Stroman the same, if not more, that they should have paid Wheeler. 

The schedule has not be kind to Mets so far.  And it really sucks that part of the issue was the COVID outbreak on the Nats.  So now they've got a one day stop in DC before they head out on the remainder of the road trip.  I remain optimistic for the rest of the season if they can just make it to the break in a good place.  If they get all their pieces back and make the postseason this will be a dangerous team.  They will have been tested in a lot of ways, and having a deep bench of guys who have played in important spots throughout the year will be a big advantage in the playoffs.

The bloom may be off the rose that is the Travis Blankenhorn era.

Was Guillorme hurt or did Rojas seriously think Conforto is a better option than him? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.