Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

No jumping yet but apathy is rearing its head.

Didn't even watch the last few innings last night and when I saw something posted here I first checked the scoreboard. Ugh is right - having computer problems so can't even determine who blew the save. How the heck can we out hit the Phillies and still lose. Only saving grace about this season is Harvey and Dickey (and I hope the Mets sign Dickey, Wright and do not trade Ike).

the only reason left to watch it to see Dickey pitch. and wth is Collins thinking taking Dickey out in the 7th in his last two games, down by a run? at this point, the season is lost and the ONLY THING to pay attention to is R.A. Dickey. unless he's getting hammered, or has thrown 150 pitches, leave the guy in to finish the rest of his starts! Does ANY Met fan want to see the likes of Mike Nickeas hit for Dickey, and then watch Josh Edgin or Elvin Ramirez come in to pitch??

what is Collins thinking?

what a horrible season...such irony that the team is mired in a dreadful winning drought at the expensive, fancy Ebbets Field II, and no $$ to put together a better team. Altho I don't want it to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if Wright and Dickey want to leave the team when their contracts are done. I remember going to Jason Bay Bobble head day but he was not playing due to injuries, maybe from his first concussion. I didn't know Ike might be traded. I am hopeful Dickey will get his 20 wins (I think he has 3 more starts) if only the team would hit.

at least reading about Harvey is good, now put anyone, and I mean anyone, (except Bay),out there instead of Torres. How did they get this bad? How can any team have no outfield power? The Yanks have created a money making machine in the same market, and the Mets can't do squat. My poor 6 year old is already a Mets fan. I can't bear doing this to another generation.

For those no longer tuning in, Phils just sent 13 batters to the plate in the top of the 1st. First six hit singles, then the seventh batter walked. 4-0, bases loaded, no outs. Jeremy Hefner removed from the game without retiring a batter. McHugh comes in and promptly hits the eighth hitter. 5-0. Phils' pitcher bounces back to the box for a 1-2-3 double play. However, Jimmy Rollins then hits a two-run single. 7-0. Juan Pierre and Chase Utley each then single, Rollins scores. 8-0, nine hits. Ryan Howard grounds out to end the top of the first.

FilmCarp said:

How did they get this bad?

Tonight's game will answer the question. I haven't seen a beating this bad since Goodfellas. Top of the first, Mets down 8-0. question

UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH My husband myself and my sons are ready to become Yankee fans after this disgrace. Well maybe not but this sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train_of_Thought said:

For those no longer tuning in, Phils just sent 13 batters to the plate in the top of the 1st. First six hit singles, then the seventh batter walked. 4-0, bases loaded, no outs. Jeremy Hefner removed from the game without retiring a batter. McHugh comes in and promptly hits the eighth hitter. 5-0. Phils' pitcher bounces back to the box for a 1-2-3 double play. However, Jimmy Rollins then hits a two-run single. 7-0. Juan Pierre and Chase Utley each then single, Rollins scores. 8-0, nine hits. Ryan Howard grounds out to end the top of the first.

why were you watching this instead of Giants pregame?

I'm wearing a Mets shirt right now. I'm that much of a fan. but even I'm as discouraged about this team as I've ever been. My big concern is that they don't re-sign Wright and Dickey. If they do that, and they keep Niese, Harvey, and Wheeler, I have a feeling we can start to enjoy this team again in 2014.

There is no reason that they cannot sign Dickey and Wright. Both are under club control next year ... With Santana and Bay coming off the books in 2014, there will be salary available ... The "Trade Ike/Trade Niese" conversations are interesting ... Yeah, we have to leverage our chips and those are two of them ... But we have to get a REAL OF back ...

Rumors Nick Swisher could come to the Mets. Yecccch. His original ties are with Alderson and the A's, yes?

Train_of_Thought said:

Rumors Nick Swisher could come to the Mets. Yecccch. His original ties are with Alderson and the A's, yes?

Melky is a free agent next year and his value is down because of his transgressions. Would it be wise to pursue and sign him?

wharfrat said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Melky is a free agent next year and his value is down because of his transgressions. Would it be wise to pursue and sign him?

Swisher ... Hmmm ... Thinking ... We'd overpay and Uncle Sandy don't do that ... So I don't think it would happen ...

Melky ... Hmmm ... Thinking ... We'd overpay and Uncle Sandy don't do that ... So I don't think it would happen ...

Swisher is featured a lot in "Moneyball". Billy Beane was nuts for him because of the on base percentage. I would give Melky a one year deal, but I'm sure someone else will give him 30 mil for 3. Keep Ike.

Swisher, in my opinion, would be this year's Jason Bay .. Not a guy who was ever (really) "The Guy", but more "A Guy" on a successful team ... Yeah, Melky would be good on a one year deal, but, no, it's not going to happen ... My bet is that he ends up back in SF ... Re: Ike ... I like Ike. But, to paraphase Branch Rickey, we can lose with him and we could lose without him. The Mets need to leverage whatever assets they have to rebuild this team ... Ike, Neise, etc., no one is untouchable ... Neise is going to get a lot of attention. Left-hander and signed for four years ...

I can live with Ike as a modestly solid anchor, preferably if we could get a REAL second baseman. I can't bear the thought of another season of Daniel Murphy. Gritty guy, contact hitter, blah blah blah....as major league baseball players go, he is horrendous. He evokes laughter. Okay, I concede that outfield may be a higher priority (SINCE WE NEED THREE OF THEM!!), but Murphy as a starting 2B speaks volumes about how bad the roster is overall.

And should the right side of our infield end up being Murphy and Duda, to quote Denzel in Crimson Tide, "G-d help us all."

Train_of_Thought said:

I can live with Ike as a modestly solid anchor, preferably if we could get a REAL second baseman. I can't bear the thought of another season of Daniel Murphy. Gritty guy, contact hitter, blah blah blah....as major league baseball players go, he is horrendous. He evokes laughter. Okay, I concede that outfield may be a higher priority (SINCE WE NEED THREE OF THEM!!), but Murphy as a starting 2B speaks volumes about how bad the roster is overall.

And should the right side of our infield end up being Murphy and Duda, to quote Denzel in Crimson Tide, "G-d help us all."

Actually, it may speak volumes as to how bad the farm teams are for producing ready for the bigs position players.

How about a Mets all-time worst team

1B Mo Vaughn
2B Murphy
3B Jim Fregosi
C Josh Thole
OF Bay
OF Don Hahn
OF Randy Hundley
RHSP
LHSP Ollie Perez
RHRP too many to name
LHRP too many to name

Interesting--many were aging stars signed as free agents as their talents were succumbing to gravity.

nymets, don't jump ship! Anyone can be a Yankee fan, but it takes real guts to be a Mets fan. ;-)

mlj said:

nymets, don't jump ship! Anyone can be a Yankee fan, but it takes real guts to be a Mets fan. ;-)

I was just kidding ...our family would never be Yankee fans we love the Mets just not liking this horrible rut LOL

nymets said:

mlj said:

I was just kidding ...our family would never be Yankee fans we love the Mets just not liking this horrible rut LOL

I'm not sure if it takes guts or low self-esteem or ... All I know is that they are my team. They've been my team through good times (Game 6 '86 WS, baby!) and bad (Craig Swan, George Theodore) ... I love them. I haven't tuned in for a week or so, but I'll watch Dickey's final starts ... Think about how glorious things were leading up to the All-Star break ...

wharfrat said:

2B Murphy

I would take Murphy over Castillo any day...

Yeah, I'm not ready to write off Murphy. He certainly is not one of the real problems on the team. He could be a complement to a strong lineup, but it is just too empty. The entire outfield, bullpen, and catchers bother me more than the infield. As far as trading all chips for the future, when is that? We are constantly building for the future. Some of these guys like Niese and Davis might be part of that future. Good arms are going to be showing up next year, but the outfield still leaves three holes in the lineup. Even worse, who else is available? Who wants to sign another Vaughn or Castillo? I thought Wright and Reyes were going to give us 5 or 10 years to have a good team but that has been pissed away. I'm afraid Wright will tire of the zoo and leave. He could win somewhere.

I also think Dave Kingman could make the worst ever list.

FilmCarp said:

Yeah, I'm not ready to write off Murphy. He certainly is not one of the real problems on the team. He could be a complement to a strong lineup, but it is just too empty. The entire outfield, bullpen, and catchers bother me more than the infield. As far as trading all chips for the future, when is that? We are constantly building for the future. Some of these guys like Niese and Davis might be part of that future. Good arms are going to be showing up next year, but the outfield still leaves three holes in the lineup. Even worse, who else is available? Who wants to sign another Vaughn or Castillo? I thought Wright and Reyes were going to give us 5 or 10 years to have a good team but that has been pissed away. I'm afraid Wright will tire of the zoo and leave. He could win somewhere.

I also think Dave Kingman could make the worst ever list.

King Kong! Man, he gets props simply for the moon shots he hit. Sure, he had hands of stone at first base, and yes he could kill a rally with a timely DP, but we could say the same about a lot of great ones, like Marvelous Marv or Mo Vaughan.

I think the year he won the home run title with the Mets he had a lower average than Steve Carlton, who won the Cy Young.

arnomation said:

wharfrat said:

2B Murphy

I would take Murphy over Castillo any day...

and Baerga.

it's hard to beat the '79 team for bad players, though.

1B - Willie Montanez
2B -- Doug Flynn
SS -- Frank Taveras
3B -- Richie Hebner

arguably, the all-worst Mets infield all played together on that team.

Wasn't that the year we were all waiting for Joel Youngblood?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!