Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Interesting chatter on the FAN tonight about trading Davis to make room at 1st for Duda ... Davis' value is pretty high right now and it's interesting to think what they might get back ... Thoughts?

I like Ike better than Duda. And he will always play a better 1B than Duda if anyone cares about my opinion. But they should keep both and Duda can and will succeed in the OF. Murphy is my prime example of this, doncha know?

I like Ike better too, but it's an interesting discussion ... Could you get a ML outfielder back for Ike? An outfield and a "decent" reliever?

I don't know.

In Uncle Sandy we trust.

Yea! Good comeback against a struggling team. The 'pen holds its own and the heavy hitters deliver when it matters. Am really liking the Shoppach acquisition. He's a much better catcher than Thole. Last thought--it's time to put Young on wavers and let someone else take his starts.

Can't decide yet about Young - clearly he can't pitch well past 5 innings. Watching and cautiously optimistic for Dickey's 17th W two out bottom of 9th. LGM.

Nice game by RA. If we win the next 30 we are in the playoffs.

Put it in the books. complete game shut out, five hitter. Still good things to smile about isn't there? :-D

Meantime in the Bronx...the Orioles are still surging. Up 4-0 in the bottom of the 8th.

R.A. Dickey should get the Cy Young ... 17 wins (tied for the lead). 3rd in ERA (2.63) ... 2nd in K's with 190 ... Best WHIP in the NL! 2nd in innings pitched ...

5 complete games, 3 shutouts.

As someone pointed out somewhere (perhaps Joe Beningo on the FAN) the Cy Young is dependent on votes but a 20 game winner is a 20 game winner and god knows when the Mets have had one of those (well google knows but I'm lazy). Not that I think wins should necessarily weigh more than one's ERA in the voting process or in my immense admiration of what Dickey has accomplished this season as shown by the fact that I absolutely agreed with Felix Hernandez winning it in 2010. Dickey is just the coolest guy too and smart and nice it seems as well. I hope the Mets pay him and keep him for next year.

Nice win by the Mets tonight!!

Yes. The Mets baby. Best team in NY.

sbenois said:

True, brother man ... True.

Soul_29 said:

sbenois said:

True, brother man ... True.

Hefner, another quality start. Shoppach hitting in the clutch. And where did that bullpen come from? oh oh

The bullpen reminds me of the line from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid: Who are those guys?

Soul_29 said:

The bullpen reminds me of the line from Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid: Who are those guys?

Perfect!

Soul_29 said:

snake The Pope and now Butch & Sundance, Soul??? Another top 5 of mine. Perfect bullpen quote.

Gary, Keith and Ron are hysterical today.

Please provide some highlights. I was listening on and off on the radio and only now am watching the last out in the ninth.

Finally a sweep. Last time was in June against the Orioles.

sbenois said:

Gary, Keith and Ron are hysterical today.

Someone mentioned that Jason Bay had not had three hits in a game all year ... That made me laugh. Of course, Howie said something like, "There are no positive numbers to report about Jason Bay ..." Just before he went yard for the grand salami. They pointed out Bay (up to then) had 158 ABs and was hitting ... .153!

You have to laugh.

I believe the slam increased his rbi total by 33%. Not too late to catch Thole's 19.

That is painful to read.

Train_of_Thought said:

I believe the slam increased his rbi total by 33%. Not too late to catch Thole's 19.

I have to confess, I thought Thole was better than he actually is ... Offense and defense. I'm not sure Kelly Shoppach is the answer ... He reminds me of Matt Stairs ... (Very proud of myself because I wasn't able to remember that name until just now!) ...

What has disappointed me most about Thole has been his inability to hold on to throws home. Sometimes it gets knocked out by a runner, other times he simply doesn't catch it before contact. On the bounce, on the fly....he just seems to miss so many that could be outs. Good guy, gives 100%, easy to root for. Shame.

Train_of_Thought said:

I believe the slam increased his rbi total by 33%.

Sorry -- I thought Bay was still stuck at 12. Slam only increased his total by 28.5%. WHEW!

Train_of_Thought said:

Train_of_Thought said:

I believe the slam increased his rbi total by 33%.

Sorry -- I thought Bay was still stuck at 12. Slam only increased his total by 28.5%. WHEW!

Not, "WHEW" ... Pee-U ...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.