Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

Yes they do.  That's how Cano, who used to be on the team that Aaron Judge is on, will get one.  That pinch runner dude they have has three rings

DanDietrich said:

Yes they do.  That's how Cano, who used to be on the team that Aaron Judge is on, will get one.  That pinch runner dude they have has three rings

I could be wrong, but I think being on a team for even a cup of coffee makes you eligible, but there's no guarantee and each team votes whether to actually give to whomever. 2014 Dan Uggla is the classic example.

I think that's for financial shares, not the rings.

Perhaps. I honestly don't know.

DanDietrich said:

the pinch runner dude contributed to his teams. Like Aaron Judge. Just with 62 fewer HRs. 

Train_of_Thought said:

This discussion’s opening guarantee will exempt Likes that risk an ambiguous interpretation.

Trending on Twitter: Keith Hernandez. I can’t deny that the reason gave me a chuckle, just as his original comment did.

DaveSchmidt said:

Train_of_Thought said:

This discussion’s opening guarantee will exempt Likes that risk an ambiguous interpretation.

Duly liked...er, I mean...noted.

As a Met fan who has made light of the Phillies this year, I must congratulate the Phillies on being the better team, despite not having Aaron Judge.  Beat the Braves.

DanDietrich said:

As a Met fan who has made light of the Phillies this year, I must congratulate the Phillies on being the better team, despite not having Aaron Judge. Beat the Braves.

Thanks, but I humbly submit that the Mets remain the better team. If the Phils face that Darvish and that Musgrove, they don’t advance, either.

DaveSchmidt said:

Trending on Twitter: Keith Hernandez. I can’t deny that the reason gave me a chuckle, just as his original comment did.

Keith probably never suspected that the Cards would abandon their fundies in the 9th inning of Game 1. Nor did I. And after that, the Phils pitchers took over.

This, too, gave me a chuckle, coming from a fan of a wild card* team on the Mets thread.

“What I find deeply, profoundly galling is that the Phillies keep playing despite winning 14 fewer regular season games. It's a damn travesty. What does the regular season actually mean now?”

* “An element that cannot be predicted or controlled.” — Webster’s New World College Dictionary

DaveSchmidt said:

This, too, gave me a chuckle, coming from a fan of a wild card* team on the Mets thread.

“What I find deeply, profoundly galling is that the Phillies keep playing despite winning 14 fewer regular season games. It's a damn travesty. What does the regular season actually mean now?”

* “An element that cannot be predicted or controlled.” — Webster’s New World College Dictionary

When do think they're just going to make the AL and NL and get rid of divisions? 

jfinnegan said:

When do think they're just going to make the AL and NL and get rid of divisions?

I scoff at your question just like I scoffed at the Baseball Digest letter-to-the-editor that suggested realigning the 16-team NL and 14-team AL into 15-team leagues. How, I asked Baseball Digest in a reply letter (lost, obviously, on the way to publication), would MLB ever make that work without having interleague games all season long?

jfinnegan said:

I don't see it. More races make lesser teams competitive for longer, adding to the bottom line.

It was the whole argument for wild cards in the first place.

Explain the financial counter-argument. Because it all about the Benjamins...

question

Aaron Judge would’ve hit a game-winning 5-run homer.

DaveSchmidt said:

question

Aaron Judge would’ve hit a game-winning 5-run homer.

Impressive showing today, despite the ninth.

I hate you guys less than the Braves, for now, so good luck!

Wow! Walk-off 3-run jack for Alvarez. Gonna be hard for Seattle to recover from that after leading the entire game to that point.

jimmurphy said:

I don't see it. More races make lesser teams competitive for longer, adding to the bottom line.

It was the whole argument for wild cards in the first place.

Explain the financial counter-argument. Because it all about the Benjamins...

There isn't a counter argument.  grin

jimmurphy said:

Impressive showing today, despite the ninth.

I hate you guys less than the Braves, for now, so good luck!

it's hard to decide which fan base is more obnoxious. I guess the Atlanta fans' racist trolling puts them in a class by themselves. 

And for anyone arguing that the chop isn't racist, the team has tacitly agreed that it is. 

The Braves temporarily attempted to deemphasize the chop in the 2019 NL Division Series against St. Louis after Cardinals reliever Ryan Helsley, a member of the Cherokee nation, said he found it insulting.

Following Helsley’s complaint, the Braves stopped distributing the red foam tomahawks used by fans doing the chop during the series. They also stopped having the accompanying music played to encourage the chant.

https://www.wabe.org/with-mlbs-support-braves-bring-controversial-chop-to-world-series/

Sorry for injecting reality into our fun pastime.  LOL

ml1 said:

it's hard to decide which fan base is more obnoxious.

Did someone say this fun pastime of ours could use a reality injection?

Now I’m merrily trying to decide which fan base boos its own Scherzer.

DaveSchmidt said:

Did someone say this fun pastime of ours could use a reality injection?

Now I’m merrily trying to decide which fan base boos its own Scherzer.

I am on record here admitting that my team's fan base is comprised of a too large segment of knuckleheads. The people who booed Santana on his first Opening Day.

But Santana was no Michael Jack Schmidt. 

ml1 said:

You’re older than Santa Claus.

DaveSchmidt said:

ml1 said:

You’re older than Santa Claus

Even Santa didn't ****in' hate that place. 

Jazz Chisholm Jr. is doing a nice job sitting in with Amsinger, Reynolds and Green on MLB Tonight after the Padres-Dodgers game. I’d be looking forward to his post-retirement studio career, except he’s 24. And I’m almost as ossified as ml1.

I think there have been too many Phillies-centric posts in a row. Hopefully they win and Wheeler throws a perfect game to finish off Atlanta. 

So are the A's really going to move to Las Vegas? I think they have to impose a minimum salary cap. 

ml1 said:

There isn't a counter argument.  
grin

I just brought it up since the Mets ended up facing a better team than the Phillies did despite having 14 more wins. It could make the end of the season more interesting for some teams that are in, but are trying to get home field advantage in the playoffs. With the 3 divisions how many teams were still fighting for a spot within the last ten days? The Brewers and Orioles?  

jfinnegan said:

I think there have been too many Phillies-centric posts in a row. … So are the A's really going to move to Las Vegas?

Well played. Connie Mack would have been proud.

jfinnegan said:

I just brought it up since the Mets ended up facing a better team than the Phillies did despite having 14 more wins.

The Cardinals would have been 4 games ahead of the Padres in divisionless standings.

I was kind of surprised that the MLB didn’t reseed the NLDS after the wild card series, pitting the No. 6 Phillies against the No. 1 Dodgers and the No. 5 Padres against the No. 2 Braves. There’s probably a specific reason that I’m missing, but I haven’t gotten around to looking for one.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.