It's Baaacckkk...The Ghost Runner Returneth!

Looks like MLB is going to keep the Ghost Runner in some form in 2022.  Perhaps in the 11th or 12th inning, but could be the 10th.

Players love it because it ends games more quickly, getting them into the clubhouse for their free meals and beer, as well as on the way to the next city if they are on the road.  Owners have nothing to lose since most of them do not care much about the games once the gate is counted and the television rights checks clear.  Neither give a rat's patootie for what fans want or for tradition.

So it is gonna happen. 


They made the bases bigger, I guess they want to make sure somebody's on them. I don't think MLB has any idea how to get fans interested in the game. The ghost runner isn't going to do it. 


I believe bigger bases are among the changes that the new competition committee will discuss, so they're not here yet. Maybe 2023.


The ghost runner is the worst rule change in any sport in my lifetime. If they don't want to play games that are too long, just have a curfew like the AL used to have. Suspend the game and finish it another day. 

But putting a guy on base who made an out in his last at bat is just stupid. 


ml1 said:

The ghost runner is the worst rule change in any sport in my lifetime. If they don't want to play games that are too long, just have a curfew like the AL used to have. Suspend the game and finish it another day. 

But putting a guy on base who made an out in his last at bat is just stupid. 

I agree.  It is a rule that makes sense for peewee and t-ball, not baseball--let alone the MLB.  Then, again, I am not a fan of shootouts in hockey or soccer, either.  Which is what MLB is trying to copy, I guess.  Heck, I would prefer if MLB instead allowed ties to be one point and wins to be two points, as other sports do.


I never thought I'd see a worse commissioner than Gary Bettman, but Manfred is making it close.


mfpark said:

ml1 said:

The ghost runner is the worst rule change in any sport in my lifetime. If they don't want to play games that are too long, just have a curfew like the AL used to have. Suspend the game and finish it another day. 

But putting a guy on base who made an out in his last at bat is just stupid. 

I agree.  It is a rule that makes sense for peewee and t-ball, not baseball--let alone the MLB.  Then, again, I am not a fan of shootouts in hockey or soccer, either.  Which is what MLB is trying to copy, I guess.  Heck, I would prefer if MLB instead allowed ties to be one point and wins to be two points, as other sports do.

there are ways to address some of the issues of long extra inning night games without having the ghost runner.  In most instances, teams should be able to finish the game the next afternoon.  Skip batting practice and infield drills and play to the finish at 3pm or 4pm. 

To me, the ghost runner allows luck to factor into the result too much.  First batter in extra innings hits a broken bat bloop, and suddenly that team is ahead.  There's always the possibility of a lucky break to win a game, but usually a team has to execute at least a little bit to take advantage of good fortune.


mfpark said:

ml1 said:

The ghost runner is the worst rule change in any sport in my lifetime. If they don't want to play games that are too long, just have a curfew like the AL used to have. Suspend the game and finish it another day. 

But putting a guy on base who made an out in his last at bat is just stupid. 

I agree.  It is a rule that makes sense for peewee and t-ball, not baseball--let alone the MLB.  Then, again, I am not a fan of shootouts in hockey or soccer, either.  Which is what MLB is trying to copy, I guess.  Heck, I would prefer if MLB instead allowed ties to be one point and wins to be two points, as other sports do.

I'd prefer a Home Run Derby to determine the winner over the ghost runner.


ml1 said:

I'd prefer a Home Run Derby to determine the winner over the ghost runner.

That would be interesting. Tell me more. Who pitches? Does the whole team get a crack or do you have your three best HR hitters get up?


mrincredible said:

Does the whole team get a crack or do you have your three best HR hitters get up?

Pitchers only.


mrincredible said:

That would be interesting. Tell me more. Who pitches? Does the whole team get a crack or do you have your three best HR hitters get up?

each team sends their BP pitcher out. Everyone in the order hits. Five pitches each. 


DaveSchmidt said:

Pitchers only.

Mets would’a been shoo-ins before Bartolo left.

deGrom is sTill a thReat though.


jimmurphy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Pitchers only.

Mets would’a been shoo-ins before Bartolo left.

deGrom is sTill a thReat though.

Scherzer too


ml1 said:

each team sends their BP pitcher out. Everyone in the order hits. Five pitches each. 

I thought we were supposed to be shortening up the games.

How about this? Each team picks three hitters to send up for five swings. If it’s tied at the end of those hitters, you go to sudden-death where each hitter comes up in turn and gets one swing. First hitter who gets a home run wins the game for his team.


mrincredible said:

ml1 said:

each team sends their BP pitcher out. Everyone in the order hits. Five pitches each. 

I thought we were supposed to be shortening up the games.

How about this? Each team picks three hitters to send up for five swings. If it’s tied at the end of those hitters, you go to sudden-death where each hitter comes up in turn and gets one swing. First hitter who gets a home run wins the game for his team.

this should take no more than 20 minutes without commercials.  Put a pitch clock on them.  And a clock between batters.  The guys run up and take their hacks quickly.  If we're going to turn extra innings into a circus, this would do it.  It would be a scramble.

They could play this over the PA:


ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Pitchers only.

Mets would’a been shoo-ins before Bartolo left.

deGrom is sTill a thReat though.

Scherzer too

after writing this, I looked up Scherzer's lifetime hitting stats and up through 2019 he was a pretty decent .180ish hitter.  But last year he got ZERO hits for the entire season in 63 PA.  How is that even possible?  Does anyone know how Scherzer went from relatively competent hitting pitcher to a .000 BA?


ml1 said:

this should take no more than 20 minutes without commercials.  Put a pitch clock on them.  And a clock between batters.  The guys run up and take their hacks quickly.  If we're going to turn extra innings into a circus, this would do it.  It would be a scramble.

They could play this over the PA:

I've been re-thinking this.  I think having this as the theme song would be even better at spurring a fast pace:


I’ve changed my mind. If they are tied after 9 they should bring a soccer goal out on the field and settle it with free kicks. 


Let the mascots settle it.


DaveSchmidt said:

Let the mascots settle it.

will Mr. Met be allowed to head butt?



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Real Estate Listings

Rentals

Advertise here!