Feet on the Seats -- The Blog

A week ago, guy on the quiet car next to me was eating a bag of Corn Nuts. In addition to being the loudest snack I have ever encountered, also smells terrible. I switched seats and ended up leaving my bike helmet on the train, which has not been recovered. Most people are respectful, but some treat NJT like a private car or living room.

rbcole123 said:
A week ago, guy on the quiet car next to me was eating a bag of Corn Nuts. In addition to being the loudest snack I have ever encountered, also smells terrible. I switched seats and ended up leaving my bike helmet on the train, which has not been recovered. Most people are respectful, but some treat NJT like a private car or living room.

I was on a quiet car not too long ago where a guy was eating jerky and smacking his lips while doing it. I was like, nope! I'd rather be on a loud car--and on the NE Corridor most of them are really loud--than listen to and smell that!

http://theweek.com/articles/562889/how-avoid-being-that-clueless-american-next-flight

Some crossover with daily commuting.

Feet on the Seats - Plane Edition

PetuniaBird said:
Feet on the Seats - Plane Edition

I really don't see a problem, to be honest. The feet are touching the back of a seat. It's not as though anyone sits on that space.

Do you like the back of your chair prodded by feet? How about your elbow if you arm is on the rest? Do you like a stranger's foot against your elbow?

JLJohn said:
Do you like the back of your chair prodded by feet? How about your elbow if you arm is on the rest? Do you like a stranger's foot against your elbow?

It certainly is not apparent to me that those feet are prodding anything. If they were, then I'd understand the point of the photo.

mjh said:

JLJohn said:
It certainly is not apparent to me that those feet are prodding anything. If they were, then I'd understand the point of the photo.

The right foot is resting on the armrest.

meganlibrarian said:

The right foot is resting on the armrest.

Yes, the rear end of the armrest, but I seriously doubt that the passenger in the front will have their arm back that far.

I see it now. It still doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't put my foot there (just in case it is bothersome to the person in front of me)

My elbow is frequently back there as I attempt to share the armrest with my aisle mate, giving them the forward area of the rest.

MJH has it right. People are so clueless as to consider others around them. Sad.

Beyond the "is there or is there not a prodding issue going on?" I take umbrage with the smell factor. I know that when we are in the car and our kids take their shoes off and rest their feet on my front seat armrest or the back of my seat it is no walk in the park!!!

cupoftea said:
Beyond the "is there or is there not a prodding issue going on?" I take umbrage with the smell factor. I know that when we are in the car and our kids take their shoes off and rest their feet on my front seat armrest or the back of my seat it is no walk in the park!!!

:barfemoticon: It's really bad sometimes.

This incident began when a Muslim man objected to a woman resting her feet on a train seat.

What then occurred was an argument concerning prayer and even whether the woman should be arrested for such a faux pas.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/11/this-viral-argument-about-feet-on-train-seats-quickly-became-one-about-religion-5386429/

RobB said:
This incident began when a Muslim man objected to a woman resting her feet on a train seat.

What then occurred was an argument concerning prayer and even whether the woman should be arrested for such a faux pas.
http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/11/this-viral-argument-about-feet-on-train-seats-quickly-became-one-about-religion-5386429/

In the "can you top this" category, on the same page is a story that should start a whole new thread on MOL: "Pee on the Seats"

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/13/airline-passenger-woke-up-peed-on-people-then-fell-back-to-sleep-5388962/

Can we e-x-p-a-n-d this thread to include man-spreading? (which I find more irritating than feet on the seats) I was treated to this egregious example this morning. The camera angle doesn't show how very much of that left leg violated my personal space (nor the left arm). I admit I feel very passive-aggressive posting this rather than mentioning it to the offender at the time, but I couldn't come up with any words. Suggestions?

I would turn to him and say "do you mind?" and look down at his leg.

That sounds so reasonable! I'll see if I can squeak it out next time.

Always wondered why some men do this, my theory is that they want others to think they have big bal* s smile

Wow-his right leg is way out in the aisle and he was still in your space?

Does anyone else question his choice of shirt?

I used to just "woman spread" -- and 9 times out of 10, the guy got up and left! LOL! Worked on the subway too.

Yes, EBennett, he managed to be in my 'seat-zone' and the aisle as well, quite an accomplishment. (I sort of like the shirt.)

This morning. A conductor going home. The card next to his nasty feet is about keeping your feet off the seats...

marylago said:
This morning. A conductor going home. The card next to his nasty feet is about keeping your feet off the seats...

You've GOT to send this picture to NJ Transit! You can -- I have!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!