Feet on the Seats -- The Blog

Whenever possible my feet are on a seat.

algebra2 said:

Whenever possible my feet are on a seat.
Cool story bro.

Besides "doody" you have, dirt, gum, pee, food, sticky soda feet, bird crap, etc. The issue is obnoxious people that put feet on seats in public facilities were raised without manners or choose to ignore their upbringing because they think they are entitled.

The issue goes beyond the personal level and the fact is if everybody put feet on seats, the general maintenance of the trains would be out of control. The maintenance and replacement cost would go up and train fare would go up.

See it makes sense for intelligent, well mannered people.

Wow Dawg - you sure are passionate about the subject! Seriously, can't get so crazy about where I rest my ass. If it looks clean and dry I sit. I use the same rational for toilet seats. If that makes me a troll so be it!

I'm often a stickler for etiquette, but I'm with algebra here. Maybe it would annoy me occasionally, but not for long, and I don't think it's as bad as some people feel.

It doesn't annoy me for long when I see it. The only photo I've ever taken and posted was when I saw the Engineer fully laid out with his legs blocking the aisle.

That said: It's not etiquette - there's a big sign that says "please keep your feet off the seats."

It's obnoxious. You know its wrong and you continue to do it. I suppose this sums up your character. Do you lift the seat when you pee or do you just wing it? Do you leave the mess for the poor shmuck that comes in after you? Same thing with feet on seats, I don't want that crap all over me- that's it.

Yup, it's antisocial.

Better yet, invite me to your house for a little walk thru. I won't take my shoes off

SODawg said:

It's obnoxious. You know its wrong and you continue to do it. I suppose this sums up your character. Do you lift the seat when you pee or do you just wing it? Do you leave the mess for the poor shmuck that comes in after you? Same thing with feet on seats, I don't want that crap all over me- that's it.

Whom are you addressing here?

Mainly algebra2, but I know that you flaunt it a bit oh oh I'll take a walk thru your new place in the city. My feet will be well soiled! oh oh

No - I do not lift the seat when I pee.

algebra2 said:

No - I do not lift the seat when I pee.

Because you sit.

SODawg said:

Better yet, invite me to your house for a little walk thru. I won't take my shoes off

I have to comment. If I invite you to my house please LEAVE YOUR SHOES ON! It's just a weird thing to me to remove your shoes.

Blech. Send me the address! I'll bring freshly paved asphalt, mixed with dirt, and I'll be sure to step on some dead worm or poop before I come in. oh oh how can you not take your shoes off people? Seriously? Shirley (surely) you can't be serious. This ties back to why feet should stay off seats.

I dont think it's the dirt from feet on the seats that's the real issue, as I'm sure stuff is gross anyway.
IMO it's about abiding by a baseline of generally accepted manners when being in an indoor public area. Is putting feet up at a restaurant okay? or a movie theater? or a library? I'd argue no on all counts, so it's not acceptable on a train either.
Now note that doesn't mean I've never done it, I'm sure I have on rare occasion, while knowing I shouldn't be doing it. But if I ever do do it I wouldn't rationalize it by saying it was okay, I'd rationalize by saying I had a bad day or something.

Thank you folks for airing your views (over and over and over again) on how you don't think feet on the seats is obnoxious. If you want to discuss the merits, please take it to another thread. This was meant to be a fun thread of posting pictures of people's feet on the seats. Thankey.

Alg,

I have, in fact, stepped in human feces in Newark Penn Station, so no, it's never okay to put your feet on the seat. Ever.

Oh, I assume the floors in Penn are coated in human and animal feces and urine. Seriously.

True story. My son got sick on the train a few years ago. He started throwing up so in a panic I cleared my handbag and gave it to him to puke in. He did, no mess at all to the seats. He was lying down with his feet up afterward when the conductor said no feet on seats!

8675309 said:

True story. My son got sick on the train a few years ago. He started throwing up so in a panic I cleared my handbag and gave it to him to puke in. He did, no mess at all to the seats. He was lying down with his feet up afterward when the conductor said no feet on seats!

What did he say after you explained that your son was ill?

mbaldwin said:

8675309 said:

What did he say after you explained that your son was ill?

I think he said it moving quickly down the aisle. I'm not sure he even looked back. My son did sit up. He was fine after losing it but my bag, well that was never the same. tongue wink

mbaldwin said:

Oh, I assume the floors in Penn are coated in human and animal feces and urine. Seriously.

Oh, I am certain they are, but this was a big steaming pile... I shudder when I think about it and how far I've come from my lofty perch... :-(

Feet On A Plane:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/travel/whose-feet-are-those-negotiating-air-travel-etiquette.html

This tumblr is pretty funny:

http://mentakingup2muchspaceonthetrain.tumblr.com

marylago said:

This tumblr is pretty funny:

http://mentakingup2muchspaceonthetrain.tumblr.com

I just can't believe how long the photos on that blog go on... and on... and on...

I know! After the first few pages, I was like, WTF? It's not even a really old blog!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!