"Pocahontas" Pwns President

LOST said:
I suggest that the people who lynched Italian immigrants did not consider them "White".
https://theundefeated.com/features/white-immigrants-werent-always-considered-white-and-acceptable/

Sicilians were considered as " strong swimmers from Africa"...

RealityForAll said:

nohero said:

RealityForAll said:

tjohn said:
Nice try.  There was anti-German hysteria in WWI too.
But reactions to our Caucasian enemies in time of war fall way short of our reactions to Asian enemies.  The internment of the Japanese was most certainly a racist action.
 And, by implication, the internment of Italians (WWII) and Germans (WWI and WWII) were NOT racist actions.  Please tell me more.
 Immigrants from Italy (and more important, their children) were not treated the same as immigrants from Japan and their children.  I don't know why anyone would argue differently.  
 I was making a counterpoint to GL2's statement as follows:  
GL2 said:
If you can't accept that whites have long held an advantage in preferences, you can't see why that's still not the rule. 

=========================================================
It is hard to imagine that when Italian Americans were being lynched and sent to internment camps* that they were feeling privileged (or held an advantage in preferences).  Nohero deleted GL2's comment (when posting my comment) in order to take my comment out of context.  Nohero, you can do better.  Why don't we discuss the substance.  Instead of you playing games and trying to distort my comments by taking them out of context.

*- my comment was intended as a counterpoint to GL2's privilege/advantage argument set forth above.

I didn't take your comments out-of-context.  The context was right on the page with my post.  "Out of context" would be if I repeated your quote some place else, leaving behind the context.  I didn't quote Mr. tjohn's quote of you because I've read that people who read MOL on their phones don't like the excessive quoting.

I stand by my comment, not based on Wikipedia but based on family lore.  And no, I don't have to produce a DNA test to back me up.

Sheesh, Reality for All, not sure if you don't get it or don't want to get it.

There are many titles of books about "How the Jews/Italians/Irish/Etc. Became White."

I can get duded up in some Lands End type outfit and fit right in.

Take a wild guess why Af Ams, Latinos, can't do that.

Used to work with an Af Am guy who was always dressed to the nines in expensive suits. He called it his armor. Best he could do to not seem threatening.

GL2 said:
Sheesh, Reality for All, not sure if you don't get it or don't want to get it.
There are many titles of books about "How the Jews/Italians/Irish/Etc. Became White."
I can get duded up in some Lands End type outfit and fit right in.
Take a wild guess why Af Ams, Latinos, can't do that.

Used to work with an Af Am guy who was always dressed to the nines in expensive suits. He called it his armor. Best he could do to not seem threatening.

You may want to take a look at your logic regarding advantaging one group and disadvantaging another group..  

1.  Namely, your assertion: all whites have preference/advantage.

2.  Your premise is negated by various facts presented, such as largest lynching ever was Italians and Italians were interned during WWII.  Clearly ALL whites do not have privilege or advantage (being lynched or interned due to your ethnicity is the diametric opposite of privilege).  

Let me know your thoughts. 

RealityForAll said:

I was making a counterpoint to GL2's statement as follows:  

GL2 said:
If you can't accept that whites have long held an advantage in preferences, you can't see why that's still not the rule. 

FWIW, “Namely, your assertion: all whites have preference/advantage” is not a counterpoint to “whites have long held an advantage in preferences.”

I think this discussion falls under, "If they don't know, you can't tell 'em."

GL2 said:
I think this discussion falls under, "If they don't know, you can't tell 'em."

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"  Upton Sinclair

RealityForAll said:

Is it fair to disadvantage prospective, mostly 18 years old, Asian students for complaints from decades ago (some complaints apparently from before such students were even born)?
Does your answer to the above question change if the prospective Asian student is from China or Japan (and has never before been in the US prior to applying to Harvard)?
Would we not all be better off if diversity of SES was instead embraced?

Your premise is off-base. The notion that bias, discrimination and lack of access ended "decades ago" is wrong. You also have to believe that SAT/ACT tests and grades are the sole accurate predictors of how a prospective student will do at these institutions, and that having the financial wherewithal to hire test strategists to improve your scores--and having the opportunity to take the tests many times--means you are inherently a better student.

Diversity is often misunderstood as giving someone a helping hand when in fact it is designed grow the talent pool and introduce new perspectives that improve outcomes across the board. As awesome as things were when these institutions were almost exclusively white--and as great as the white-collar workplace was when it was almost entirely white and male--economic growth is fueled by having multiple perspectives in the room, as it were.

dave23 said:

RealityForAll said:

Is it fair to disadvantage prospective, mostly 18 years old, Asian students for complaints from decades ago (some complaints apparently from before such students were even born)?
Does your answer to the above question change if the prospective Asian student is from China or Japan (and has never before been in the US prior to applying to Harvard)?
Would we not all be better off if diversity of SES was instead embraced?
Your premise is off-base. The notion that bias, discrimination and lack of access ended "decades ago" is wrong. You also have to believe that SAT/ACT tests and grades are the sole accurate predictors of how a prospective student will do at these institutions, and that having the financial wherewithal to hire test strategists to improve your scores--and having the opportunity to take the tests many times--means you are inherently a better student.
Diversity is often misunderstood as giving someone a helping hand when in fact it is designed grow the talent pool and introduce new perspectives that improve outcomes across the board. As awesome as things were when these institutions were almost exclusively white--and as great as the white-collar workplace was when it was almost entirely white and male--economic growth is fueled by having multiple perspectives in the room, as it were.

How long should your remedy be in place?

Can you provide the expected duration of your remedy in number of years?

RealityForAll said:

The remedy for what?

dave23 said:

RealityForAll said:

The remedy for what?

Your remedy to the historical lack of access to universities like Harvard for various identifiable populations.

RealityForAll said:

dave23 said:

RealityForAll said:

The remedy for what?
 Your remedy to the historical lack of access to universities like Harvard for various identifiable populations.

Ah. I never claimed it was a "remedy" to assuage past wrongs. Feel free to read what I wrote, should you be so inclined.

dave23 said:

RealityForAll said:

dave23 said:

RealityForAll said:

The remedy for what?
 Ah. I never claimed it was a "remedy" to assuage past wrongs. Feel free to read what I wrote, should you be so inclined.

Ok,  how long should your remedy for current wrongs (and not past wrongs) be in place?

RealityForAll said:

Ok,  how long should your remedy for current wrongs (and not past wrongs) be in place?

Until they are remedied. 

Why are there now two threads on this subject? Can we keep this discussion in the thread specifically dedicated to this issue.

Can't you take this to Education?

RealityForAll said:

I never said anything about remedying wrongs. It's probably best our back-and-forth continue in your imagination since what I've written is a good distance from what you wish it were.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.