What series should I watch next?

So I am here posting to get some recommendations based on what I've liked. I don't care if they're old as long as they are not on Apple TV (I have a bias and don't have anything Apple) and yes I know Ted Lasso is quite good.

Here is what I've loved recently: political stuff like Madame Secretary and re-watched after seeing it originally aired West Wing. Even better than before for me and my state of political knowledge.

Longmire, coming to the end and really enjoy it.

Finished latest of Cobra Kai (niece directed several episodes) and is excellent quality.

So drama is fine, comedy is fine. I like character development. 

I loved the Good Place and Brooklyn 99. Also was a fan of Downton Abby.

I didn't have HBO for a while in the past so thinking of Orange is the New Black. Already caught up on Nurse Jackie and the Sopranos (yes. lol).

So any list at all will be grand. Whether it be 30 minutes or an hour give or take whether we're talking network or not. Anything to keep me occupied now that there is no more post-season baseball for me that is.

Any Avenue 5 fans out there?  I missed it when it first came out - pretty funny.  From the creator of Veep.  It has fairly similar rhythm to it.   Good cast.  Season 2 just started.

can’t recommend Shetland enough!  I am now half way through the seventh season. AA -winning performances throughout!

I’m about halfway through the 24 episodes of the new season IN TREATMENT with Uzo Aduba (who was in Orange Is the New Black) on HBO. I have a personal interest in talk therapy and this show is fascinating. Aduba is magnificent (as is her wardrobe). Episodes are usually just under half an hour and her three principal clients are challenging to the therapist and the viewer. The Aduba character has her own psychological  and addiction issues and her AA sponsor is terrific. 
I never watched the original IN TREATMENT seasons that ended a few years ago, with Gabriel Byrne as the therapist. I might go back and witch them once I finish this. I recommend it highly. Sometimes it’s tough to watch but worth the effort. 

[One of the clients has issues with her controlling grandmother - who is played by Charlayne Woodard who I saw on Broadway in AINT MISBEHAVIN’ in the 70s. She’s brilliant.]

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

[One of the clients has issues with her controlling grandmother - who is played by Charlayne Woodard who I saw on Broadway in AINT MISBEAHVIN’ in the 70s. She’s brilliant.]

Charlayne Woodard was in a TV version of Cinderella called Cindy. She has incredible presence. Even doing a guest shot on "Taxi," she just explodes off the screen. 

Anyone watching Kevin Can F Himself?  It's certainly has gotten darker over time, but I do enjoy the sitcom/drama contrast.

I'm looking forward to the Walking Dead ending - but not looking forward to any future spinoffs.  I've been hanging in - but they've been milking the concept a bit much.  Is the comic book still continuing?

Just read this in Matters. Partner Track is now on Netflix . It’s based on a book written by Maplewood resident Helen Wan. Sounds like it would be a good watch!

These are great suggestions and I know not just responding to me. 

@jamie I plan to try Avenue 5. Loved Veep and love Steve Carell. It's probably involving Greg Daniels as creator but never checked.

jamie said:

Anyone watching Kevin Can F Himself?  It's certainly has gotten darker over time, but I do enjoy the sitcom/drama contrast.

I tried to watch season 2 but I lost interest after a couple of episodes. I couldn't really figure out what the point was anymore.

I thought season 1 was pretty good.

wendy said:

@jamie I plan to try Avenue 5. Loved Veep and love Steve Carell. It's probably involving Greg Daniels as creator but never checked.

Hugh Laurie is the lead.  I'm getting through season one still - the first episode was definitely the best for me so far.  I keep falling asleep on some of the later ones.

wendy said:

Actually I think I've seen the first season and like it. I'll start on the second season now that I know it's here.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I’m about halfway through the 24 episodes of the new season IN TREATMENT with Uzo Aduba (who was in Orange Is the New Black) on HBO. I have a personal interest in talk therapy and this show is fascinating. Aduba is magnificent (as is her wardrobe). Episodes are usually just under half an hour and her three principal clients are challenging to the therapist and the viewer. The Aduba character has her own psychological  and addiction issues and her AA sponsor is terrific. 
I never watched the original IN TREATMENT seasons that ended a few years ago, with Gabriel Byrne as the therapist. I might go back and witch them once I finish this. I recommend it highly. Sometimes it’s tough to watch but worth the effort. 

[One of the clients has issues with her controlling grandmother - who is played by Charlayne Woodard who I saw on Broadway in AINT MISBEAHVIN’ in the 70s. She’s brilliant.]

I loved, loved the original In Treatment (with a minor exception that I won't go into now). My sister loved it too; she's a retired psychologist.  Thanks for the head's up about the new In Treatment. Will definitely watch. 

mtierney said:

can’t recommend Shetland enough!  I am now half way through the seventh season. AA -winning performances throughout!

Looks great but I don't subscribe to Britbox. Showing where shows are streamed are helpful but thanks anyway. Perhaps it will be viewable on Netflix, Prime, Hulu or HBO.

wendy said:

mtierney said:

Looks great but I don't subscribe to Britbox. Showing where shows are streamed are helpful but thanks anyway. Perhaps it will be viewable on Netflix, Prime, Hulu or HBO.

I have been watching it on Prime.

mtierney said:

I have been watching it on Prime.

It's only on Prime WITH a Britbox subscription.  You can get a free 7 day trial.

drummerboy said:

I tried to watch season 2 but I lost interest after a couple of episodes. I couldn't really figure out what the point was anymore.

Yeah - I get it.  I liked the characters.  The nice thing is that they're not milking the concept for any more seasons - this was the last one.  I would recommend at least watch the recap and the final episode.  

jamie said:

drummerboy said:

Yeah - I get it.  I liked the characters.  The nice thing is that they're not milking the concept for any more seasons - this was the last one.  I would recommend at least watch the recap and the final episode.  

not sure what you mean by recap. recap of what?

The episodes start with a recap.  Might be enough to know what’s going on.

I like series finales- this one was decent.

jamie said:

The episodes start with a recap.  Might be enough to know what’s going on.

I like series finales- this one was decent.

ah - ok

Avenue 5? Are you kidding? I watched 20 mins. I’m done. Awful. 

The Patient with Steve Carrell was really good. 

I just started watching Season 1 on Amazon Prime, as most if not all seasons are now available for rental there, without an HBO subscription.  I agree that the series is fantastic, my wife and I are loving every minute of it.

wendy said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I loved, loved the original In Treatment (with a minor exception that I won't go into now). My sister loved it too; she's a retired psychologist.  Thanks for the head's up about the new In Treatment. Will definitely watch. 

Hi Jasmo,

Which In Treatment are you watching? The original one (set in Brooklyn based on an earlier Israeli series) or the new one (set in southern California). I believe you can watch the original for free via Prime. I happen to have HBO as a channel so I get HBO max as part of the deal I've had to get HBO for basically nothing through FIOS. Both quite good.

our fallback when we finish up some new stuff is BOSCH.  LA dectective series-we like it a lot.

just started the final season ( 7)  which was 2021  so it goes back a ways.  it is on prime.

we also enjoyed Van der Valk  which is set in amsterdam ( 2 season)

It’s not a series but the Willie Mays doc on HBO is lovely. If you’re a baseball fan of a certain age, say, when pitchers took their turn at the plate, you’ll love this. I wish they’d shown a bit more of his playing, rather than very brief clips, maybe a complete at bat or half inning.  But it’s really heart-warming. Willie is now 90-something and as charming as ever.  

We have gotten into the highly praised "The Bear":

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_bear

I have been binging on Naked City on Pluto TV.  Incredible show with tons of actors who were just finding their way.   Jack Klugman is in a few episodes.  Alan Alda.  Carroll O'Connor.  Jean Stapleton.  Dustin Hoffman.   Robert Duvall.

But the most shocking moment is this one.   A totally freakish thing if you are a comic book fan.  Filmed in 1962...

Hi Wendy,  In response to your question, so far I'm watching Season 1 of the American series, based upon the original Israeli one.  (I think they say it is in or near Washington DC though).  It has episodes of the wife of the therapist going to Italy and having a brief affair, the suicidal and sexually abused adolescent female gymnast, the air force pilot, the young doctor who has a crush on the therapist (and visa versa), etc. I could only get it by buying individual episodes or seasons on Amazon at this point.

wendy said:

Hi Jasmo,

Which In Treatment are you watching? The original one (set in Brooklyn based on an earlier Israeli series) or the new one (set in southern California). I believe you can watch the original for free via Prime. I happen to have HBO as a channel so I get HBO max as part of the deal I've had to get HBO for basically nothing through FIOS. Both quite good.

As one of those people whose life was changed after reading Neuromancer, I've just watched the first of episode of The Peripheral on Amazon Prime, and I'm loving it. Fantastic near-future sci-fi, mystery, thriller, starring Chloe Grace Moretz. One day I'd love to see William Gibson's Sprawl series on screen, but this is as close as I can get for now. No idea if this is just an 8-episode adaptation or a continuous show, but I'm all in after episode one.

Like that other show, if it sucks at the end, I'll let you know. I'm just happy to finally see some Gibson on screen.

I think The Bear is the best series I’ve seen in years  Gripping.   Incredible acting.   

bub said:

We have gotten into the highly praised "The Bear":

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_bear

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!