What series should I watch next?

Binge watching (or should I say cringe watching) VEEP on HBO.  So funny. 

If you like VEEP, do see "In The Loop," (2009) an hysterical political parody by the same writer/director. 

Not a series, but feels it may be developed into one: UK film Agatha RAisin and the Quiche of Death. Sweetly funny, including all the digs at Brit detective series.

Hated CSI: Cyber. Found last season of Once Upon A Time ridiculous, find myself sleeping through Elementary.

Enjoyed Midwives! Perplexed by Daredevil. Enjoyed the film Hector and the Search for Happiness.

I continue to watch The Blacklist - I couldn't really say why. The show is weirdly entertaining but totally preposterous; it reminds me of Alias in many ways and in its preposterousness most of all. The female lead (Megan Boone) isn't nearly as entertaining to look at as Jennifer Garner was, and Victor Garber was a lot more fun than Harry Lennix, but Alias didn't have James Spader and The Blacklist does, so Alias loses.

Agreed.

There's also an hypnotic quality to The Musketeers, and occasionally some semi or more than semi nudity.

just started a binge of The Last Man on Earth with Will Forte. Strangely funny. Not sure how far I'll continue but it's weirdly compelling. As if The Stand was filmed by Woody Allen.

Witnesses is a decent French crime drama series with a female detective. It's on Netflix.

Are we watching/have we watched Arthur and George, with Martin Clunes? Sherlock Holmes costume drama with a twist.

+1: "The Fall," on Netflix is very good. Crime thriller set in current day Belfast. Jamie Dornan (50 Shades) is the bad guy. Five episodes in Season 1, six in Season 2, so it's not a major time commitment.

Gioamorim said:
I wasn't a big fan of series, would eventually watch Seinfeld every time I'd see it or even a couple of friends episodes long long time ago.
Then I started watching Mad Men because the 60's wardrobes and furniture a looked so nice, plus I'm in advertising. Love it, but at this point it's gotten a tad boring. Then Breaking Bad (loved it, except all the killings) and Game of Thrones (except all the battles). Quickly watched Orange is the New Black in two sittings - one for each season, nice and easy but nothing too memorable. Then The Sopranos. Loved it, loved it, loved it!
Now I need something else but something really good! Sopranos and Mad Men-like. I have been trying The Wire but I fall asleep within 15 min every single time. Still couldn't finish the first episode so I'm guessing might not be for me. Send me your recommendations! Please! And thank you!

Gioamorim,

I'm glad you started this thread. Great input from all.

I strongly suggest you give The Wire another try BUT don't watch it at night when you're tired. It is deep, dense and fantastic and very complex and BRILLIANT (imo). I need to watch it with subtitles (accents, etc.) and after each episode I will often go to check a detailed plot synopsis to make sure I didn't miss anything. Critics invariably call it the best thing created for TV (sometimes it ranks second behind the Sopranos). I'm into the third season and can't stop thinking about it. Many people (see Project's comments in the other MOL thread about it) have seen it more than once and college courses are taught about it. Plenty of well written blogs too. But again, don't watch it as your evening viewing if you tend to fall asleep.

Not sure if anyone mentioned Chef's Table on Netflix as a series (the 5 episodes are stand alone actually) but quite good. Not a cooking show at all. Rather a show about creativity and drive and fascinating personalities. Oh and I've been told I must watch the Jinx.

Edited to add that if you like characters and following them, then a strong reason to give The Wire another try. Jimmy McNulty (and so many of the others) are quite memorable. Brilliant TV really.

Anyone else watching "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell"? I'm enjoying that very much. It sort of replaces "Sleepy Hollow" for me between seasons.

I'm also having a great time with "Poldark," for those who like bodice rippers with great scenery (other than Aidan Turner's torso). ;-)

I'm loving Poldark, too! I never saw the previous series but after this one is over I might go back and watch. I've also discovered Death in Paradise, a fluffy detective series with a stuffy English detective, set in the Caribbean. A little mindless and fun. Here is the catch-up from New York magazine:

Poldark, Sundays, 9 p.m., PBS Gaze upon Ross Poldark, a British dude back in the U.K. after fighting as a redcoat in the American Revolution. He's bummed out because his dad died, his true love married someone else, and now he's stuck running this crappy farm. Luckily, he is very hunky. And he has a scar, so you know he's both serious and wounded. Someone, rescue him with gentle kisses! How many episodes have aired so far? 2 Do I need to start at the beginning? Ehh, not really. People tend to repeat their deals a lot on this show, and it's easy enough to understand what's going on.

Gioramom, I echo wendy's encouragement on The Wire. I suggest finding a good plot synopsis or critical essay and reading ahead for the first episode or two. One of my favorites is Alan Sepinwall, who has reviews for newbies and return watchers, for each episode.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-wire-links-for-reviews-to-every-episode

Which season of Death in Paradise?

And have you realised that grey-haired Dwayne is that super-cool Cat from Red Dwarf?? Watch out for loads of familiar faces in the cameos and guest roles, as people turn up from Midsomer, Dr Who, Doc Martin...

We just started watching Deutschland 83 and are really enjoying it! Excellent soundtrack - if you like 80's music. Also brings back memories of what it was like before the wall came down.

mr. robot episode one was great. Episode two not as great but still good. Jury's still out on that one but willing to invest in at least a couple more episodes

I'm really happy: on my own today (remember, I'm already on Sunday), and have just discovered Bletchley Circle on catch-up TV. With some of my favourite British actresses.

I have gotten hooked on Inside Amy Schumer.

j_r you said above: "One of my favorites is Alan Sepinwall, who has reviews for newbies and return watchers, for each episode.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-wire-links-for-reviews-to-every-episode "

I want to thank you for reminding me of this guy's writings on the series. I had read a bit of his stuff during Series 1 watching but never was able to find the rest of his blog/essays (I think it moved locations since he actually started only live blogging in season 4 and then backtracked after I believe). Reading the cast of characters for Season 3 and the first few summaries was really helpful given how much the cast expanded. Thanks again!

joanne said:
I'm really happy: on my own today (remember, I'm already on Sunday), and have just discovered Bletchley Circle on catch-up TV. With some of my favourite British actresses.

Oh, that series was wonderful. And quite an education...

I gave UnREAL a try and disliked it, but I could see the subversive appeal -- it's the kind of show that would totally hook fans of the genre, and it is very darkly funny.

I hate reality shows, so I enjoyed UnReal for the dark twisty underbelly aspect. Kind of like watching a traffic accident in slow motion. But I don't actually think I would enjoy that, somehow.

Just started watching SCROTAL RECALL on Netflix. Very funny, Add a star if you like your comedy with an English accent. Add another half star if you like it sexy.

Also, sloooowly watching the new season of Orange is the New Black. I want it to last.

Wife and I just started watching "Humans" on AMC. Fun semi-sci-fi TV of a semi-anthropological nature like "Walking Dead" or "Last Man on Earth"

Also started watching new season of OITNB. It's slow going because, somehow, I feel like I don't care about the characters any more.

You know, I am a little disenchanted with OITNB too. And I loved the last two seasons with a passion.

On the other hand, I am adoring Poldark and heard great things about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Also: Sherlock if you haven't seen it, of course. Hubby adored The Wire.

And what's Broad City about?

If you like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, try Penny Dreadful. Wild stuff, although it just finished for the season.

We finally watched The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. What a treat!! There are some moments I'm still laughing about. It went off the rails a bit at the end but overall we really enjoyed it.

deborahg said:
You know, I am a little disenchanted with OITNB too. And I loved the last two seasons with a passion.

Me too. I found it a bit of a snore plus I couldn't stand to look at Piper by the end.

eliz said:

deborahg said:
Me too. I found it a bit of a snore plus I couldn't stand to look at Piper by the end.

I dig Piper, but I'm only three or four epis into Season 3. Taylor Schilling is in a new movie, The Overnight, that looks fun.

(I hated VEE and everything about her. Let's just say I cheered out loud at the end of Season 2. No spoilers).

deborahg said:

And what's Broad City about?

You have to see it to get it. It's about two young women in Brooklyn and their wacky adventures. I love it.

There must be something wrong with me. Am totally loving iZombie.

oh oh

Anybody watching Shetland? Never heard of it before last night, when I caught about five minutes before the phone rang. It looks promising.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.