The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2022/05/23/elon_mad_as_hell_musk_just_blew_up_2022_147633.html

Anyone who remembers watching Network, the 1976 film, can feel “deja vu” all over again…

“News anchor Beale was characterized as “The Mad Prophet of the Airwaves” when he realized the system he worked in – network television – was rigged, and that powerful forces were manipulating him and the audience. In a soliloquy eerily relevant today, Beale threw out the script and started telling the uncomfortable truth.

“I don't have to tell you things are bad,” he told his viewers. “Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work, or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter, punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it! … I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first, you've got to get mad!”

As the saying goes, “there is nothing new under the sun…”

There goes poor Elon, whining about free speech again.

Beautiful day today, and then I saw this…..

JAPAN-US-DIPLOMACY
US President Joe Biden attends a press conference with Japan's Prime Minister Fumio Kishida at the Akasaka Palace State Guest House in Tokyo on May 23, 2022. | Pool photo by Nicolas Datiche via Getty Images
BY ALEX THOMPSON AND CAMILLE GIJSMay 23, 2022 10:44 am

TOKYO — U.S. President Joe Biden said Monday that the U.S. would intervene militarily to defend Taiwan if the island was invaded by China.

“Speaking at a press conference in Tokyo with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida during his first trip to Asia since taking office, Biden again voiced concern over China’s growing assertiveness across the region.

“Biden suggested that the U.S. would go further on behalf of Taiwan than what it has done for Ukraine, where Washington has provided military help and intelligence assistance but no American troops following the Russian invasion in February.

“When asked by a reporter if the U.S. would defend Taiwan if it were attacked by China, Biden responded: “Yes … That’s the commitment we made.”

“We agree with a One China policy,” Biden said. “We’ve signed on to it and all the intended agreements made from there. But the idea that, that it can be taken by force, just taken by force, is just not, is just not appropriate.”

“Biden did play down the possibility that China would try to seize Taiwan, saying that he didn’t expect it to happen.

“Biden’s response to the question caused an audible stir in the room, with reporters quickly recognizing he had stepped further away from the strategic ambiguity of U.S. Taiwan policy than presidents are supposed to go. Heads turned away from Biden and to the U.S. delegation that was seated stage right to gauge their reaction. Those there — including National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan and Commerce Department Secretary Gina Raimondo — did their best to keep facial expressions unfazed though Rahm Emanuel, the U.S. ambassador to Japan, bulged his eyes a bit in apparent surprise.

“Prior to the trip, it was clear that the issue was going to be a delicate one for the president. Taiwan was not going to be part of the Indo-Pacific Economic Framework, or IPEF. But Biden’s top trade representative, Katherine Tai, met with Taiwan minister John Deng late last week despite China’s warnings about U.S. support for Taiwan.

“It was also evident that Biden’s team had anticipated that a question about Taiwan would be asked. When he first responded, Biden read carefully from his notes. On the follow-up question, in which he responded affirmatively that “yes,” the U.S. would be willing to get involved militarily to defend Taiwan, he did not.

Don’t worry, maybe Penny Wong can talk him down a bit cheese

The man does not inspire confidence.

Aww, that’s sweet! Mr Biden has said they all understand if Albo nods off - he’s done so much, winning the election, getting sworn in, flying over and getting there all prepped…  wink

Albo and Penny are super-prepped for Quad, there’s a lovely quick clip of him entering the venue.

joanne said:

Aww, that’s sweet! Mr Biden has said they all understand if Albo nods off - he’s done so much, winning the election, getting sworn in, flying over and getting there all prepped… 
    wink

Albo and Penny are super-prepped for Quad, there’s a lovely quick clip of him entering the venue.

To translate: Penny Wong is Australia's new Foreign Minister, and Albo is Anthony Albanese, the brand new Prime Minister of Australia.  cheese

Edited to add that the translation was as much for me as for anyone else. 

Smedley said:

That's who the Democrats served up as an alternative to Trump.  I would have preferred someone 30 years younger, but the Democrats could have offered up Lucifer and I would have chosen the Devil over Trump.  There just wasn't a choice.

ridski said:

joanne said:

Aww, that’s sweet! Mr Biden has said they all understand if Albo nods off - he’s done so much, winning the election, getting sworn in, flying over and getting there all prepped… 
    wink

To translate: Penny Wong is Australia's new Foreign Minister, and Albo is Anthony Albanese, the brand new Prime Minister of Australia. 
    cheese

Edited to add that the translation was as much for me as for anyone else. 

tjohn said:

Smedley said:

That's who the Democrats served up as an alternative to Trump.  I would have preferred someone 30 years younger, but the Democrats could have offered up Lucifer and I would have chosen the Devil over Trump.  There just wasn't a choice.

Yeah but at some point the not-Trump comp passes its expiry date. 

Smedley said:

tjohn said:

Smedley said:

Yes, about 2 years from now.

I don't have much use for the "I told you so discussions" around here.  Whether I like Biden or not is fairly irrelevant given the choices available to me in November, 2020.

I'm not going to fret too much about Biden's problems right now since there is nothing to be done for 2 years.

I am happy to criticize U.S. foreign policy and criticize Biden and others for saying unhelpful things.

But I'm not going to wring my hands in despair and say he doesn't inspire confidence and I'm not going to post stupid cartoons like Mtierney who seems to have nothing constructive to offer the world.

Smedley said:

Only if the Republicans don't renominate Trump.

tjohn said:

But I'm not going to wring my hands in despair and say he doesn't inspire confidence and I'm not going to post stupid cartoons like Mtierney who seems to have nothing constructive to offer the world.

Good to know what you won’t do.

“despair” — your word — defined as  “utter loss of hope, hopelessness” 

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

Good to know what you won’t do.

“despair” — your word — defined as  “utter loss of hope, hopelessness” 

In the latest cartoon, accompanying the quoted post, there are "bad things" like inflation, empty shelves, etc. labeled all over the race car.

Among those are the three below.  Since Ms. Mtierney shared the cartoon, I would like to hear more about why these are in "the bad things".

We’d just say: ‘Onya’ and maybe nod, or wink, or fist bump. cheese

nohero said:

I don’t get why the baby formula shortage is Mr Biden’s creation. It’s the FDA’s discovery of biological contamination in manufacturing that started everything, and your import conditions stipulate all kinds of protective clauses for babies’ health, as well as some for shoring up domestic manufacturers . Can you imagine the outcry if these were weakened as a matter of course???

Over here our new Treasurer is to be briefed by the Governor of the Reserve Bank. The Treasurer has already said blankly we’re all in for some very tough times ahead -‘there’s no point pretending otherwise’- but he vowed to start working to turn it around today. I’d rather have the honesty. 

nohero said:

In the latest cartoon, accompanying the quoted post, there are "bad things" like inflation, empty shelves, etc. labeled all over the race car.

Among those are the three below.  Since Ms. Mtierney shared the cartoon, I would like to hear more about why these are in "the bad things".

Both have brought damaging  controversy into Biden’s tenure, as I am sure you were aware. One item, in particular, is particularly egregious under the circumstances.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Both have brought damaging  controversy into Biden’s tenure, as I am sure you were aware. One item, in particular, is particularly egregious under the circumstances.

I'm aware of the lies and distortions and appeals to racism which have "brought damaging controversy into Biden's tenure". I don't know why Biden should be blamed for that.

Ah, yes, inflation. A worldwide problem but its Biden's fault. Who would have known he has so much power?

What have the Republicans told us on how they will cut inflation? Zip, nada, nothing. They just blame and whine.

You need to be really stupid to be suckered by those idiotic cartoons.

Smedley said:

As I've said previously, Trump is finished politically. He will not be the nominee in 2024.

Noted, along with ml1’s disbelief that Trump-endorsed Mehmet Oz, narrowly leading his Senate primary race (the winner of which will face a Democrat recovering from a stroke), could win in Pennsylvania.

Smedley said:

This didn't exactly happen in the Rose Garden, but this is great news: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/us/politics/trump-perdue-georgia.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20220525&instance_id=62342&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom®i_id=62211041&segment_id=93313&te=1&user_id=f95f9bec55cab6a6bead4d4818e1986a

As I've said previously, Trump is finished politically. He will not be the nominee in 2024. 

prognostications based on one data point, while ignoring contrary data points, are the best prognostications

drummerboy said:

Smedley said:

This didn't exactly happen in the Rose Garden, but this is great news: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/25/us/politics/trump-perdue-georgia.html?campaign_id=190&emc=edit_ufn_20220525&instance_id=62342&nl=updates-from-the-newsroom®i_id=62211041&segment_id=93313&te=1&user_id=f95f9bec55cab6a6bead4d4818e1986a

prognostications based on one data point, while ignoring contrary data points, are the best prognostications

Just because I cite one data point doesn't mean I ignore contrary data points, or supporting data points, such as 70% of people don't want Trump to run again. (Which I've cited previously, and I guess you ignored.)

But whatever, always an argument with you. I'm sorry my observation wasn't comprehensive or rigorous enough for you.  

The unspeakable, unimaginable event has happened yet again. Why is it that untreated, mentally ill  people get to wander our streets, cities, subways, shops and schools, unfettered— even as, it appears, they usually send out warnings ahead of time?

https://link.nationalreview.com/click/27832190.

From the article…

Persons who committed public mass shootings in the U.S. over the last half century were commonly troubled by personal trauma before their shooting incidents, nearly always in a state of crisis at the time, and, in most cases, engaged in leaking their plans before opening fire. Most were insiders of a targeted institution, such as an employee or student. Except for young school shooters who stole the guns from family members, most used legally obtained handguns in those shootings. [Emphasis added.]

Nearly half of individuals who engaged in mass shootings (48 percent) leaked their plans in advance to others, including family members, friends, and colleagues, as well as strangers and law enforcement officers.

“This morning, there are reports that the 18-year-old gunman who yesterday killed 19 students and three adults at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, sent “cryptic and now chilling messages to a stranger”through his Instagram account hours before the attack. The shooter posted pictures of two rifles and pictures of himself. His account sent a message to a woman that said, ‘I got a lil secret. I wanna tell you.’ (The woman, who is a minor, later posted that she ‘does not live in Texas and does not know the shooter personally.’) At 5:43 a.m. local time, he sent a message to her that said, “I’m about to.” She asked “about to what,” and he responded, “I’ll tell you before 11.” The shooting started around 11:30 a.m. local time.”

mtierney said:

The unspeakable, unimaginable event has happened yet again. Why is it that untreated, mentally ill  people get to wander our streets, cities, subways, shops and schools, unfettered— even as, it appears, they usually send out warnings ahead of time?

Well, it might involve spending money are social issues.  And perhaps you have some method for identifying the genuinely dangerous people among a much larger population of people with mental illnesses of various sorts.

Or perhaps gun control is the answer.

mtierney said:

I think a more important question is why these people are allowed to own guns.  They could wander until the cows come home and not harm a soul but give them a couple of military grade rifles with high capacity magazines and that is a different story.

As it happens, that question has a very simple answer.  Untreated, mentally ill people are allowed to buy and/or own military grade weapons and high capacity magazines and thus slaughter innocent children because people like you consistently support politicians who slavishly serve the NRA.

mtierney asks:  "Why is it that untreated, mentally ill people get to wander our streets, cities,
    subways, shops and schools, unfettered— even as, it appears, they usually send out warnings ahead of time?"

They "get" to wander our streets ("unfettered" forsooth) because our society chooses not to provide adequate assistance for people in need or in crisis.  While wandering, they are mostly in danger themselves, not a danger to others.  No one is attending to their needs or their "warnings."

I think the real question here, as GoSlugs noted, is why anyone, especially any 18 -year-old for crying out loud, is permitted to own and carry near-military-grade weapons and ammunition capable of mowing down numbers of people in moments and without any particular skill?

Smedley said:

drummerboy said:

Smedley said:

Just because I cite one data point doesn't mean I ignore contrary data points, or supporting data points, such as 70% of people don't want Trump to run again. (Which I've cited previously, and I guess you ignored.)

But whatever, always an argument with you. I'm sorry my observation wasn't comprehensive or rigorous enough for you.  

For a poll aficionado such as yourself, you don't quite seem to understand how they work.

That 70% number comes from a poll of adults. Not registered voters. Not Republicans. Just adults.

It is a meaningless poll. Yet you seem quite proud of it.

Another poll from around the same time shows that 60% of Republicans had Trump as their first choice.

https://www.newsweek.com/70-percent-adults-dont-want-donald-trump-run-2024-poll-1673588

That's the only number that counts.

We do have a serious mental health issue in this country. The people suffering are those who think that the right to buy a gun is their most important right. They think it's important that they can buy military grade weapons. They like to parade around in public with their guns. They think that we should be arming teachers to prevent school shootings.

Those are the people who need help.

I think that the problematic mental illness is the one where some people fetishize guns.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.