The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:
I have a stack of unread newspapers on the floor - headed to the recycling bin shortly. Television news folks blather on as background noise, while I now try to find my way back to life, alone for the first time since 1954!
As an initial start of a conversation here, the next SCOTUS nominee seems a logical choice. Here is one profile...
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/judge-amy-barrett-criticized-for-charismatic-affiliation--who-are-the-people-of-praise-17632

Yes.  It's going to work out so well.  A bunch of scared old white people have gained control of the government and we will end up with a Supreme Court that is increasingly out of touch with more and more Americans.

tjohn said:

Yes.  It's going to work out so well.  A bunch of scared old white people have gained control of the government and we will end up with a Supreme Court that is increasingly out of touch with more and more Americans.

When has that not been true?

SCOTUS is not meant to be "in touch" with popular sentiment. 

LOST said:

tjohn said:
 When has that not been true?
SCOTUS is not meant to be "in touch" with popular sentiment. 

That's not really what he said.

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
I have a stack of unread newspapers on the floor - headed to the recycling bin shortly. Television news folks blather on as background noise, while I now try to find my way back to life, alone for the first time since 1954!
As an initial start of a conversation here, the next SCOTUS nominee seems a logical choice. Here is one profile...
https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/judge-amy-barrett-criticized-for-charismatic-affiliation--who-are-the-people-of-praise-17632

Agreed, but I think all 3 branches of the US government have been increasingly out of touch with the citizenry for a while now (ageist, racist comment ignored).

The "citizenry" gets to vote for the other branches.

If the Executive has been "out of touch" for a while that must include Obama and Trump. Given their different policies what do you think the citizenry wants? 

lord_pabulum said:
Term limits

Only for the elected people they don't like, however.

lord_pabulum said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:
Agreed, but I think all 3 branches of the US government have been increasingly out of touch with the citizenry for a while now (ageist, racist comment ignored).

Trump is a symptom of an out of touch government.  A side effect of Trump is that the social conservative minority of Americans are getting their druthers in judicial appointments since it looks like Trump is more than happy to indulge this group.  So that is how we are getting SC appointments that are pretty out of touch with younger Americans.

tjohn said:

lord_pabulum said:
Term limits
 Only for the elected people they don't like, however.

Which seems to be the elected in general based on approval ratings.

Welcome back, mtierney! It’s good to see you again  grin 

lord_pabulum said:
Term limits

So the citizenry wants their choices limited.

Once we are back in control, why can't we seat two extra justices on the SCOTUS? Gorsuch is a stolen seat, and two extra seats would cancel that out so it only seems fair. And when Scalia's seat opened up under Obama, I recall the GOP saying that there really was no hard rule that stated that there should be exactly 9 seats on the court. So why not hold them to that? The only thing they can when back in power is seat even more justices, which will quickly render SCOTUS useless, which is better than what we re looking at now.

digression: Bill Shine as communications??? Really?? Can this admin invite any more comparisons to reality tv??

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44732100

gerritn said:
Once we are back in control

Its too early to say on the other two branches but, in the case of the Judiciary, that will be sometime around 2063.  I am all for hoping for the best but I think, right now, we should be planning for the worst.  

Plan A would be wonderful but, the way things are going, Plan B needs to absolutely kick @ss, salt fields and take zero prisoners.

joanne said:
digression: Bill Shine as communications??? Really?? Can this admin invite any more comparisons to reality tv??
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44732100

Yes if you add to it the fact that Donny Jr., while not yet divorced took his new girlfriend to the July 4th celebrations. She's a Fox News host. https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/donald-trump-jr-kimberly-guilfoyle-spend-4th-of-july-at-white-house/

Well he picked this up from his dad who left his mom home while he and Marla were splashed across the tabloids.

Well I guess that’s why I didn’t see much coverage of any festivities, apart from MOL. 

mtierney said:
that is the slant that gives stay at home moms the shive.

The right to chose “traditional homemaker/fulfilled woman” is denigrated — white or black . Are there crazies in this movement? You betcha — as there are in any social change startup . 

Homemakers are not “less than” but actually needed more than ever — kids need someone there for them.

Good parents teach their children to be independent and to care for themselves After school.programs, care givers at home, all.liberate Moms to be themselves and contribute financially. Kids don't benefit frpm.cookie cuttee, cookie baking Moms in the kitchen all.afternoon if mom is bored or unfulfilled or just plain lazy. Moms are not all nurturers and supportive. I was always happier on those days my mom was home after school, bit she taught me how to adjust to others as well. 

mtierney said:
other SCOTUS possible nominees..
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/06/us/politics/supreme-court-trump.html?rref=collection%2Fissuecollection%2Ftodays-new-york-times
Will a Gorsuch look-alike get a fair evaluation? Spooky that.

Can you explain why we aren’t waiting for the Senate elections in November?  Shouldn’t the people “have their say”?

I learned a long time ago that I needed to do due deligence before stating an opinion — but to hazard a guess, I think a delay based on the prospect of a new majority in November is not sufficient. The present candidate is fully qualified.

Constant squabbling between parties is wearing thin, and it may be time to show combined leadership.

mtierney said:
I learned a long time ago that I needed to do due deligence before stating an opinion — but to hazard a guess, I think a delay based on the prospect of a new majority in November is not sufficient. The present candidate is fully qualified.
Constant squabbling between parties is wearing thin, and it may be time to show combined leadership.

this is not a reflection of reality.  The GOP alone is to blame for the inability to show "combined leadership."  Full stop.

Denying that fact further emboldens Republicans to be intractable.  If you actually want bipartisanship, you should be holding the members of your own party accountable.  As long as you continue to blame "both sides," nothing will change.

ml1, the zebra cannot change her stripes.  After many years on this board I have given up trying to have meaningful political dialogue with the op.  Banging our collective heads against the wall leaves us less able to focus on the work we need to do to create constructive change for our community, country and world.  

I suggest that instead, we spend time outdoors on this beautiful day, soaking up the sounds and sights that refuel our spirits and finding one small way (each day) to move forward.  That might be a call to a congressperson, that might be helping a stranger in need, or simply extending compassion to a loved one.  Every constructive act will reverberate and return to us in some form. 

Take heart, take action and take care.

nakaille said:
ml1, the zebra cannot change her stripes.  

this is true.

But there are a lot of reasonable "both sides do it" people who read this message board.  My responses are more for them, in the hopes that some might stop with the false equivalencies.

ml1, that makes a lot of sense to me.  Thanks for explaining and thanks for your efforts on behalf of reasonable people here and elsewhere.

We thought it was just racism and nationalism.
We figured it was Islamophobia and misogyny.
We suspected it was weaponized religion.

We imagined it was homophobia and privilege.
We knew it was blind hatred of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

That was all bad enough.

We never dreamed that in your lust for Supreme Court seats and women’s rights rollbacks and NRA contributions, and for some feeling of retribution against the world—that you’d do this.

We never thought you’d ratify treason. Honestly, that’s been a shock.

https://johnpavlovitz.com/2018/07/16/dont-say-you-love-this-president-and-america-one-of-those-things-isnt-true/

I checked on Pavlovitz’s web age and read a couple of other “tirades” .

Anyone here remember a disheveled comic - I think he called himself the professor —whose whole act was to release a torrent of angry words castigating people and events?

I thought of this comic after reading this preachers’ 

words.

sometimes people deserve angry castigation.

and fwiw, I never considered the Professor to be an angry guy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertise here!