Volunteer Fair - Sunday March 25, 2018

... 1 pm - 4 pm at the Woodland.

The following community organizations will be at the Volunteer Fair with a wide range of volunteer options to get you out of the house and into the community:

Achieve Foundation
Community Coalition on Race
Cougars Soccer
Ethical Culture Society
First Friends

Friends of the South Orange Public Library
Green Faith
Interfaith Food Pantry
Interfaith Holocaust Committee
Interfaith Hospitality Network

Maplewood Civic Association
Maplewood Green Team
Maplewood Senior Share
Memorial Park Conservancy
MEND

Morris Habitat For Humanity
1978 Art Center
Our Lady of Sorrows Food Pantry
Rent Party
Repair Cafe

RSVP
Sandy Hook Promise
SOMA Action Network
SOMa Adult School
SOMA For Animals

SOMA School Library Friends
SOMA Two Towns For All Ages
South Mountain Conservancy
South Orange Seniors
Springfield Avenue Partnership

St Barnabas Hospital
St Joseph's Food Pantry
Turtle Back Zoo
Youth Net
Youth Orchestras of Essex County

Clearly, there is something here for everyone.  The fair is open to persons of all ages and interests.  Expand upon an existing skill/passion or pursue something new.  Get involved.  Make new friends.  Give back while gaining more than you are giving.  Whether you are looking for a one time opportunity or an on-going commitment, you will find something here to entice you.  

Please spread the word.  There is so much to be done and some many opportunities to do it.

If your organization has registered to be at the Volunteer Fair and was inadvertently omitted from the above list, please post that information here so the list of organizations can be complete.

See you at the Volunteer Fair.  I will be staffing both the SOMA Two Towns For All Ages and the Repair Cafe Tables. (I have been promised they will be adjacent!) Please stop by, say hello, and let me have your feedback on your experience at the fair.

With several co-volunteers I'm staffing the Morris Habitat table.  We're eager to talk about all things Habitat... and, importantly, share how we volunteer once a week on Thursdays. It is a great way to stay active, learn new things, and laugh together.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

This is needed, IF orgs are well reresented.  I’ve tried to volunteer only to be turned off by a lack of informed reps a/o lack of response from various orgs. 

krnl- ook forward to taking to you.  Interesting that Essex Cty isn’t represented.

Will most orgs have be represented by informed members?  rather than just brochures and a cut above?

Representatives will be there.  Not sure about brochures.  If you send me a PM, or post here, including information about the kind of volunteer work you are interested in performing, I will try to help you find the best fit.  

A huge advantage of attending the Volunteer Fair is that you will be able to speak with knowledgeable representatives from a wide range of community organizations offering all kinds of volunteer options - all of this in a single convenient location.  

Apollo_T said:

This is needed, IF orgs are well reresented.  I’ve tried to volunteer only to be turned off by a lack of informed reps a/o lack of response from various orgs. 

krnl- ook forward to taking to you.  Interesting that Essex Cty isn’t represented.

Will most orgs have be represented by informed members?  rather than just brochures and a cut above?

krnl said:

With several co-volunteers I'm staffing the Morris Habitat table.  We're eager to talk about all things Habitat... and, importantly, share how we volunteer once a week on Thursdays. It is a great way to stay active, learn new things, and laugh together.

@krnl I have been asked by several potential attendees at the volunteer fair whether you will have information about the Newark Habitat as well as Morris.

I only have printed material on Morris Habitat.

Thank you to the Township of Maplewood and to Senior Share for sending out emails this morning reminding subscribers of the Volunteer Fair which will be held on March 25, 2018 at the Woodland from 1 to 4 pm.  The publicity is much appreciated.

I'll be out of town this weekend, but I'm bookmarking this post for the list of organizations. It's very helpful to have all these names in one place.

We are planning to prepare a directory of organizations with active need for volunteers and make that information available to potential volunteers whether or not they are able able to make the volunteer fair on Sunday.  Our hope is to get volunteer needs listings from all community organizations serving out area, not just the thirty-five that have signed up to be at the Woodland.   If anyone reading this thread is aware of volunteer opportunities with organizations not participating in the fair, please send that information to Cathy Rowe at SOMA Two Towns For All Ages so that information can be included in the directory.

Elle Cee:  I replied to both your PMs.

With so many food banks and related organizations participating in the volunteer fair, this would be a great opportunity to bring along some non-perishable food to donate to those in need.  Not required; but, a really nice and much appreciated gesture.

Thank you Jamie for including the Volunteer Fair in today's emailer.

This afternoon at the Woodland.  Please come if you are thinking of doing/expanding upon your volunteer work in the community.  This is a great way to get involved. 

Thank you to the volunteer organizations, volunteers, and potential volunteers who made the Volunteer Fair a resounding success. The attempt to join would be volunteers with organizations in need of volunteer help will not end with today's event. SOMA Two Towns For All Ages will be producing a directory of volunteer opportunities based on the opportunities on offer at today's fair and adding information from community organizations with volunteer needs who were unable to participate today.  For further information or to provide volunteer job information, please contact Cathy Rowe.

I would be interested in obtaining feedback from both recruiters and potential volunteers.  Did the fair meet your needs?  What could/should be done differently if we repeat the event again?

I unfortunately was traveling and missed the fair.  is there any document that I can see which lists the organizations, maybe with details of what they do and phone numbers.  Looking to volunteer, but short on information.

We have some volunteer information now on the SOMA Two Towns For All Ages website.  Plan is to post a directory of information from all of the organizations that participated in the Volunteer Fair plus others that have contacted us asking to be included.  If you want to post the kind of volunteering you want to do here or in a PM, I can try to help you now.

We (Girl Scouts) were not able to participate, but would like to be included in the directory.  One concern is that for many organizations, especially those that work closely with youth, you can't just drop in and volunteer for an hour or two in most cases.  There are background checks and training involved in the commitment to volunteer. And that requires someone who is well-informed about those requirements in order to staff a table at a fair like this.  (As was noted above in an earlier post.)  Unfortunately, we just didn't have anyone available who was in a position to be able to do that on that date, but anyone who is interested in learning more can contact us:   somgirlscouts "at" gmail.

(Or PM me.)

This offer of assistance in finding a volunteer placement is open to anyone who wants help finding a volunteer activity that suits their interest and availability. Please don't hesitate to ask.

sac said:

We (Girl Scouts) were not able to participate, but would like to be included in the directory.  One concern is that for many organizations, especially those that work closely with youth, you can't just drop in and volunteer for an hour or two in most cases.  There are background checks and training involved in the commitment to volunteer. And that requires someone who is well-informed about those requirements in order to staff a table at a fair like this.  (As was noted above in an earlier post.)  Unfortunately, we just didn't have anyone available who was in a position to be able to do that on that date, but anyone who is interested in learning more can contact us:   somgirlscouts "at" gmail.

(Or PM me.)

There are a number of organizations that require background checks and/or training prior to placing a volunteer with that organization.  As long as you state those requirements in the information you provide, there should be no problem.  There are no requirements as to frequency or duration of volunteer help needed.  Just tell us what you are looking for in a volunteer so we can include it in the directory.

You do not have to have participated in the Volunteer Fair to be included  in the directory. Just give Cathy Rowe the information you want posted.  Easiest way to contact her is through the contact page on the SOMA Two Towns For All Ages.  If you prefer, you can send me the information and I will forward it to Cathy on your behalf.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.