Tire Pressure

Where is a good place with an accurate gauge to fill tires with air? Seems like the places I go usually are busted and my hand held tester is a pain.


Even though I own a gauge and doing so makes me feel like a wimp, I tend to ask one of the gas station workers to do it for me. Just seems like it’s one of those things better tested by someone who does it all day then someone who does it a couple of times a year.


Heynj said:

Even though I own a gauge and doing so makes me feel like a wimp, I tend to ask one of the gas station workers to do it for me. Just seems like it’s one of those things better tested by someone who does it all day then someone who does it a couple of times a year.

Can you mention which service station you are referring to ?


You might be surprised at just how good the current bike pumps are. Not only are the gauges accurate, you actually can pump up a car tire with one. It takes several pumps per psi, I’d say around 8-10 depending on the pump, but it is doable. 


I have the Ryobi One+ tools and I have a tire that three mechanics have looked at (including the dealer) and have said there is nothing wrong with it. Tired of carrying quarters, although it only happens every couple of months, I got the pump that works with the One+. At some point I am hoping it will pay for itself, but the convenience can't be beat.



KarenMarlowe said:

I have the Ryobi One+ tools and I have a tire that three mechanics have looked at (including the dealer) and have said there is nothing wrong with it. Tired of carrying quarters, although it only happens every couple of months, I got the pump that works with the One+. At some point I am hoping it will pay for itself, but the convenience can't be beat.

i use the same thing.  I never even get my big compressor out any more.


rhw said:

Can you mention which service station you are referring to ?

Most recently it was the one at the corner of Summit Avenue and Broad Street in Summit, but I’ve had it done elsewhere, too, over the years. I assume anywhere they’ve got air, the workers can do it. 


KarenMarlowe said:

I have the Ryobi One+ tools and I have a tire that three mechanics have looked at (including the dealer) and have said there is nothing wrong with it. Tired of carrying quarters, although it only happens every couple of months, I got the pump that works with the One+. At some point I am hoping it will pay for itself, but the convenience can't be beat.

Same here. Love the convenience. 


I got a small pump that you can program that plugs into the car’s power socket, so I haven’t had to pump my tires in a gas station for about a year.


Air pump in back of WAWA is free. There usually is a line for it.


I used the one at the BP station on Springfield Ave. today. You can dial in the pressure you want, and it beeps when you reach it. Very convenient. But it's slow, so have all your valve caps off before you start so you don't run out of time.


Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Air pump in back of WAWA is free. There usually is a line for it.

very often broken however.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Advertise here!

Sponsored Business

Find Business