The worst movie you've ever seen...

yahooyahoo said:

My apologies to Stanley Kubrick fans but I thought Eyes Wide Shut was pretty bad.

Awful. 

Michael Shannon and Rachel Weisz, what could go wrong? Well, it was a hot plate of messiness and wrongness. Watched “Complete Unknown” on Amazon Prime and take my word, don’t click “watch.” And then to sprinkle in the Queen of Everything, Kathy Bates and not use her appropriately is damn near criminal. Hiss and Boo. 

Wait. I think you're saying the opposite of what I'm saying. I always read reviews. I'm not plunking down 40 bucks for tickets to a thing unknown.

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

I actually can't think of the worst movie I've ever seen. I wonder why that is? I rarely watch a movie "blind", i.e. without knowing anything about it. Maybe that's the trick.

Definitely. Whenever I've read reviews before seeing a movie I have found it to be a mistake.

I'll check Rotten Tomatoes to get the general critical reception of a movie.  I'll read individual reviews after I've seen a movie to see how they compare to my experience.

There’s only one film reviewer whose judgment I truly trust, but I wouldn’t not see a movie because he said it sucks.

I don't know if it was mentioned in earlier posts, but I thought "The Shadow" starring Alec Baldwin was pretty darn bad. 

drummerboy said:

Wait. I think you're saying the opposite of what I'm saying. I always read reviews. I'm not plunking down 40 bucks for tickets to a thing unknown.

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

I actually can't think of the worst movie I've ever seen. I wonder why that is? I rarely watch a movie "blind", i.e. without knowing anything about it. Maybe that's the trick.

Definitely. Whenever I've read reviews before seeing a movie I have found it to be a mistake.

40 bucks? How many people do you take with you and pay for?

Kubrick taking it on the chin.

Catwoman with Halle Berry.  Was captive on a plane and watched it.  I should have just stared at the seat back in front of me.

PetuniaBird said:

A Clockwork Orange

wow.... I loved this movie.   

Mission to Mars is horrible.  Stars Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle, Gary Sinise, Jerry O'Connell, and Connie Nielsen. Directed by Brian De Palma. Tremendous cast but tremendously awful movie.

That's usually what I do too. I find that RT and I are pretty much in tune. Some people may not.

bub said:

I'll check Rotten Tomatoes to get the general critical reception of a movie.  I'll read individual reviews after I've seen a movie to see how they compare to my experience.

I rounded up.  $15 a ticket? Maybe some snacks.

ok, usually I get by under $30.

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

40 bucks? How many people do you take with you and pay for?

Hudson Hawk with Bruce Willis.

"Kazaam" and "Steel" come to mind. Both have Shaq, and both are horrible.

In the go figure department, Nic Cage has a new over the top violent movie called "Mandy" that is a critical sensation. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.  He's spent the last 20 years or so making these kinds of movies and getting razzed mercilessly for them.   

drummerboy said:

Not yet eligible for Senior Citizen discount?

drummerboy said:

That's usually what I do too. I find that RT and I are pretty much in tune. Some people may not.

bub said:

I check the score on Metacritic, but try to not read the reviews.

Sometimes when a movie is a big hit I look for the negative reviews. Rex Reed absolutely hated The Shape of Water.

http://observer.com/2017/12/review-sally-hawkins-sinks-in-guillermo-del-toros-the-shape-of-water/

I hated the Silver Linings Playbook. It was dull and depressing and it just never took off. Maybe that was the point, but it was especially disappointing since I chose to watch it based on its Oscar buzz. It seems The Academy can’t be trusted. More money more buzz. 

I'm on the border for the discount. Depends on the venue. I try to buy discount tickets from Costco when I can.

Rex Reed is not dead?

LOST said:

drummerboy said:

Not yet eligible for Senior Citizen discount?

drummerboy said:

bub said:

I check the score on Metacritic, but try to not read the reviews.

Sometimes when a movie is a big hit I look for the negative reviews. Rex Reed absolutely hated The Shape of Water.

http://observer.com/2017/12/review-sally-hawkins-sinks-in-guillermo-del-toros-the-shape-of-water/

bub said:

In the go figure department, Nic Cage has a new over the top violent movie called "Mandy" 

God, how can I have forgotten Face-off? 

My nomination for worst Science Fiction movie would probably be Event Horizon although Pacific Rim would be a close second.

The best worst movies I’ve ever seen ...

Boyhood

Face/Off

Silver Linings Playbook (E-A-G-L-E-S)

Breakfast at Tiffany’s (A-U-D-R-E-Y)

Crash

OMG -- I saw Event Horizon because I love scifi and I love Sam Neill.  What a horrible horrible movie.  I didn't walk out, but it was all I could do not to.

Klinker said:

My nomination for worst Science Fiction movie would probably be Event Horizon although Pacific Rim would be a close second.

My Dinner With Andre

The English Patient

ALL of the Transformer movies.

No, Rex Reed isn’t dead. Still alive, 79, and bitter sounding....

"Yeah but, I would never give up my electric blanket Andre. I mean, our lives are tough enough as it is.

I've thought of that line often over the years.

You read my mind.  I didn't know he was still alive.  And he was always a hack and a crank.

blackcat said:

No, Rex Reed isn’t dead. Still alive, 79, and bitter sounding....

I too disliked Face-Off although I recall that it was well received (92%, says RT!), perhaps because it had a respected action director, John Woo.

Event Horizon and Pacific Rim sucked though Rim got a reasonably warm critical reception (RT 71%).

angelak said:

OMG -- I saw Event Horizon because I love scifi and I love Sam Neill.  What a horrible horrible movie.  I didn't walk out, but it was all I could do not to.

Klinker said:

Right.  The most absurd thing about Event Horizon was the ship.  Who would design a ship to transport people through space and coat every surface of the interior with enormous, razor sharp spikes for the passengers to impale themselves on?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Rentals

Advertise here!