The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

Hawks (probably nesting) on top of one of the Ivy Hill apartment buildings. I saw them when I was trying to work a doubler on my telephoto lens.  Probably, Coopers. 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Hawks (probably nesting) on top of one of the Ivy Hill apartment buildings. I saw them when I was trying to work a doubler on my telephoto lens.  Probably, Coopers. 

I'm betting you will wow us with a great shot!

Morganna said:

I'm betting you will wow us with a great shot!

No. My photo shows them as a blur. The doubler does not work with auto-focus and it is so sensitive (x 1,000mm) that the focus ring allow for little range in adjustment. Joy could probably explain this better than I can.

I saw them fairly clearly while practicing to focus but unable to capture them on memory card. The building is probably 1/3 mile away from where I was. 

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

No. My photo shows them as a blur. The doubler does not work with auto-focus and it is so sensitive (x 1,000mm) that the focus ring allow for little range in adjustment. Joy could probably explain this better than I can.

I saw them fairly clearly while practicing to focus but unable to capture them on memory card. The building is probably 1/3 mile away from where I was. 

No excuse! Go back to Ivy Hill and camp out. 

On another note, have you ever set up a bird cam. I've been considering one for a while. 

I'm posting this picture from past visitors as my busy feeder is active when my camera is tucked away. Also I'm ready to get rid of that iris picture!

Those who are contemplating a trip to Australia may want to consider this handy bird-watching guide (as displayed in the Inconsequential Chat thread)

Click here >> A handy guide for the bird-watcher

So much activity at the Humzinger and definitely more than one Hummingbird doing all the sipping. Saw a couple of birdies in a chase at the feeder.

A magical experience. As I sat in my garden watching the birds, a little sparrow landed on the armchair next to mine and looked into my smiling face. To my surprise and delight, the little bird flew onto my arm, and stayed there watching me for what felt like an eternity. I did not dare move and barely breathed but continued to show him my most welcoming smile. He eventually flew off but I remained motionless. I'm not a religious person but I like to think that after half a lifetime of not eating a single creature with wings, God sent me a thank you note.

The little bird below was taken the day before but perhaps was my new friend.

I have more Hummingbirds than ever before!

Ready for a dip in the pool.

What a surprise! Goldfinches like Zinnias! I had success with Cone Flowers (Echinacea) but the Woodchucks gobbled them up. As they were expensive full grown, I thought I would take a less expensive gamble and try to grow them from seed, even cold stratified the seeds for a month, but failed. My Zinnia seeds grew, survived transplanting, and flourished.

Yesterday I saw leaves moving, couldn't detect the source, and grabbed my camera when I realized I had 3 Goldies, 2 males chasing each other and a female! Sadly just when the landed on the bird bath my battery died and the bump of my lens on the window scared them off.

I owe the visit to the running fountain. I have always noticed that if they are in the vicinity the sound seems to attract them.

Of course this chapter ends this morning with a visit from a nibbling Woodchuck.

We have house wrens in our neighbors tree that hangs over our property. They are very shy, but won't run away if you happen upon them. So cute!

KarenMarlowe said:

We have house wrens in our neighbors tree that hangs over our property. They are very shy, but won't run away if you happen upon them. So cute!

I had them nest in my bird houses for several years but not this one or last. Beautiful singers! Here is a patriotic homeowner. Another with a happy couple. Males build a few nests for the female to choose from. When she decides she tosses out his work and starts anew.

A handsome Goldfinch and his trophy!

Hummingbird success after a number of years trying!  In the year or so since we did a major home renovation (smack dab during Covid!), we have also been trying to restore and expand our gardens with a focus on pollinators.  But we didn't really have things in shape in the spring so we figured we would have to wait until next year to put out feeders and see the hummers!  But a couple of weeks ago we saw one at our new Cardinal Lobelia blooms so I got out a feeder and we have seen as many as three (fighting!) in our yard almost every day, sometimes several times a day, since then!  So happy and planning additional plantings for next year!

sac said:

Hummingbird success after a number of years trying!  In the year or so since we did a major home renovation (smack dab during Covid!), we have also been trying to restore and expand our gardens with a focus on pollinators.  But we didn't really have things in shape in the spring so we figured we would have to wait until next year to put out feeders and see the hummers!  But a couple of weeks ago we saw one at our new Cardinal Lobelia blooms so I got out a feeder and we have seen as many as three (fighting!) in our yard almost every day, sometimes several times a day, since then!  So happy and planning additional plantings for next year!

Perfect timing. Hummers are fattening up for Fall migration. I've had more Hummingbird's this year then ever before. They love the protection of my Holly trees and sit between drinking nectar. Two small ones have been circling each other playfully so I wondered if they are siblings from a nearby nest.  I'm ready to post the migration map. I keep my feeder up till mid October.

What kind of feeder are you using. Below is my favorite feeder the Humzinger. 

Just broke my measuring cup and my car is in the shop so waiting to change the nectar which I do every 3 days.

Morganna said:

sac said:

Perfect timing. Hummers are fattening up for Fall migration. I've had more Hummingbird's this year then ever before. They love the protection of my Holly trees and sit between drinking nectar. Two small ones have been circling each other playfully so I wondered if they are siblings from a nearby nest.  I'm ready to post the migration map. I keep my feeder up till mid October.

What kind of feeder are you using. Below is my favorite feeder the Humzinger. 

Just broke my measuring cup and my car is in the shop so waiting to change the nectar which I do every 3 days.

I have the same feeder.  When we have traveled in Central America where there are SO many hummingbirds, most places had these feeders.  I had another one that was a vertical tube, but it had yellow on it and seemed to attract more bees than hummers.  

We haven't seen the hummers for a week or more.  Have they left the area now?

One has been busy at my zinnias the past few days.  I need a feeder - but if they’re leaving soon - maybe I’ll wait.

jamie said:

One has been busy at my zinnias the past few days.  I need a feeder - but if they’re leaving soon - maybe I’ll wait.

They are definitely leaving soon.  If they are still around, then I think it is later than usual.  

I have plenty of them. Aside from the feeder they are zooming around the many  Butterfly Bushes. I leave my feeder up until mid October.

We get the locals and those migrating from Canada.

As I posted earlier I had more than any other year and there must have been a nest near as 2 babies have been playing together for a few weeks. 

Just a chipmunk hanging out in a bird feeder.

Still seeing Hummingbirds. Didn't recall them loving my Butterfly Bushes so much and I have many of them!

Peregrine victory over extinction!In case you didn’t realise it, these birds are officially the fastest on the planet yet were nearly killed off thanks to pesticides etc.  (We’ve finally got around to better controlling baited food for rabbits, foxes, feral cats & dogs etc so the birds that would hunt and feed off them aren’t killed)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-03/sa-peregrine-falcons-resurgence/101494554

joanne said:

Peregrine victory over extinction!In case you didn’t realise it, these birds are officially the fastest on the planet yet were nearly killed off thanks to pesticides etc.  (We’ve finally got around to better controlling baited food for rabbits, foxes, feral cats & dogs etc so the birds that would hunt and feed off them aren’t killed)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-03/sa-peregrine-falcons-resurgence/101494554

Meanwhile, in the capital city of the neighbouring state of Victoria, the peregrine falcon pair roosting on a Melbourne high-rise office building have just welcomed the fourth of their chicks into the world.

The fourth one arrived about three days after the others hatched.

This is a new mum - last year's mum didn't put in an appearance this year - she turned up at the nesting site with the older male, which has since been seen off by a younger male.

The younger male was seen trying to mate with the female after she'd laid the eggs.  He's an obvious newby at the game of being a parent (even though the chicks aren't his).  He was also seen trying to feed the eggs.

Enough of the preamble ...

You can watch the goings-on in real time here -  367 Collins Falcons 2022

An earlier story - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-29/peregrine-falcon-eggs-at-376-collins-street-start-to-hatch/101485424

If you're on social media, there is a lively discussion group going - search for 367 Collins Falcon Watchers

From Peregrines to Hummingbirds. I spotted my last Hummers October 2. Still keeping the feeder up and an eye on the flowers.

Just caught a sight of this tiny guy in my backyard - haven't figured out what it is yet:

jamie said:

Just caught a sight of this tiny guy in my backyard - haven't figured out what it is yet:

Could it be this female Warbler?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.